Southwest + Marriott

Spaulding Smails

Looking for some good options for a 15 year anniversary trip this August.  Thinking Thursday - Tuesday, so five nights.  I have more than enough Southwest points plus a companion pass to get to any Southwest destination and more than enough Marriott points to stay at any Marriott property (including Autograph Collection and Ritz Carlton).  We don't travel much anymore, so I'm kind of stumped on where to go.  We like activity and good food when we travel.  We'd prefer to make our own choices over being stuck at a hotel and limiting ourselves to their restaurants.  I'm open to a big city or a laid back beach resort and anything in between.  Direct flights from Austin a plus, but not required.  Also willing to rent a car and drive a few hours to get off the beaten path if necessary.  I know it's hurricane season, but I'm not opposed to rolling the dice in the Caribbean.  

Suggestions?

I too am a Marriott whore, but all my airline miles are with AA.

There's a JW and a Ritz Carlton in Cancun, and SWA flies there now.

There's a nice Autograph collection resort in Key Largo if you want to stay in the US. Wife and I are thinking about taking the kids there this summer. It's called the Playa Largo beach club, or something like that. There's also a JW on Marco Island that's supposed to be nice and recently renovated.

13 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I too am a Marriott whore, but all my airline miles are with AA.

There's a JW and a Ritz Carlton in Cancun, and SWA flies there now.

There's a nice Autograph collection resort in Key Largo if you want to stay in the US. Wife and I are thinking about taking the kids there this summer. It's called the Playa Largo beach club, or something like that. There's also a JW on Marco Island that's supposed to be nice and recently renovated.

Just arrived at the playa largo today. Resort is top notch so far. Will update this later. 

Edited by Masflo
  • Like 1

Actual anniversary is in June.  We thought the logistics of in-laws watching the kids wasn't going to work, but now it might.  @Masflo I'm intrigued by the Playa Largo.  Please provide an update when you get back.  That may be in play if we go in June.  

If August, leaning towards San Francisco or San Diego for a long weekend.

We have a ton of SWA points due to our credit card including the companion pass.  We need to do a family trip at some point.  I would love to go to Mexico City but with little kids, eh.  Bahamas....  hmm.

Fly to Vegas, rent a car and drive to Zion NP.  Use your points to stay at the Marriott Springhill Suites (surprisingly nice hotel) in Springdale, UT.  Then drive to either Bryce or North Rim of Grand Canyon via the Mt Carmel Highway.  Unfortunately, no option to use points at Bryce or GC.  Take lots of sunscreen and hiking shoes.  Your welcome......

Safety tip:  don't take the window seat

Edited by gecko

SWA Flies to Grand Cayman and the Ritz Carlton there is great - wife and I went there about a year ago.  There's an Eric Ripert restaurant on site that was one of the best coursed, paired meals I've eaten and a few other really great on site options.  The beach setup and service were outstanding as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gecko said:

Fly to Vegas, rent a car and drive to Zion NP.  Use your points to stay at the Marriott Springhill Suites (surprisingly nice hotel) in Springdale, UT.  Then drive to either Bryce or North Rim of Grand Canyon via the Mt Carmel Highway.  Unfortunately, no option to use points at Bryce or GC.  Take lots of sunscreen and hiking shoes.  Your welcome......

Safety tip:  don't take the window seat

Man that sounds like about the furthest from a vacation to me as you can find.  

3 hours ago, gecko said:

Safety tip:  don't take the window seat stay there for strippers and cocaine.

fifm

While I'd be all for the Zion / Arches road trip, the wife is more keen on sitting around eating good food and working on her tan.  

We're back to August now for timeframe, but still leaning towards beaches.  Looking to get away from the hustle and bustle but still have access to good food, etc.  Leaning towards Key Largo, Marco Island or Grand Cayman at this point.  

On 4/29/2018 at 6:59 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

Actual anniversary is in June.  We thought the logistics of in-laws watching the kids wasn't going to work, but now it might.  @Masflo I'm intrigued by the Playa Largo.  Please provide an update when you get back.  That may be in play if we go in June.  

If August, leaning towards San Francisco or San Diego for a long weekend.

Playa largo was top notch across the board. Nice resort, great service, good beach, good pool. Super family friendly resort. Would definitely go back. 

Drive from ft. Lauderdale was under 2 hours. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

@Masflo thanks for the feedback.  We went ahead and booked Playa Largo for August.  

Did you fish at all?  Any activities / restaurants you'd recommend?

We fished with Key Largo Fishing Adventures. All day offshore trip was very successful. Great outfit and less than 2 miles from the resort. 

Tried to snorkel Pennekamp park but was blown out. I would like to get back to it. We drove our daughter down to the aquarium in Marathon.  She loved it. Lots of interactive exhibits. Great way to kill a half day. 

As for food, we took our catch to Sharkys and to Hobos. Both prepared the catch amazingly. Sushi at maki Thai sushi was solid. Resort restaurants are very good as well. 

• Like 2