2021 Australian Open

shadow_operative2.0

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Djokovic breaks to take the first set 7-5

Medvedev with the choke. 

perhaps Medvedev might want to learn hot to hit a drop shot when he is close to the net. 🙄

That set should have gone to a tie-breaker, but Medvedev ignored easy opportunities in that 12th game. 

Am 100% pulling for Medvedev. 

2 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

He’s the best ever. Although AO is perfect for his game

Because I have no life at this tail end of winter I decided to do a little research.

In the 2000s Federer won 15/40 majors. Nadal won 6/40 and Novak 1/40

In the 2010s Novak won 15/40, Nadal 13/40 and Federer 5/40

In the 2020s Novak has won 2/4 and Nadal 1/4

Nadal leads Federer, 10-4, in Majors and is 8-2 against him in Finals. Nadal leads 3-1 in semifinal matches.

Nadal leads Novak, 10-6 in majors and is 7-1 against him in the French. In finals Nadal leads 5-4.

Novak leads Federer 11-6 in majors, 4-1, in finals. The 2007 US Open was the time Federer beat Novak in a finals. 

Their dominance has been insane.

Novak has lost 16 times to Federer or Nadal in majors. Nadal has lost 10 times to Novak or Federer in majors. And Federer has lost 21 times to Novak or Nadal in majors.

Going forward I don't think it is wrong to say Novak is the best player and should pass them both but, he is 33-years old now. So time is of the essence. Nadal is 34-years old and Federer is 39. 

But the only thing I can think of that comes close to this type of almost winning titles is Jack Niklaus winning 18 majors while finishing second 19 times and third nine times with a total 56 top-five finishes.

Yeah head to head I think Novak kind of owns Fed.  He takes his biggest strength, serve and forehand, and uses it against him.  Djoker just doesn’t miss his backhand much, and he’s quick enough to cover the wide angles.  Nadal is not quite as good as Novak on HC but he’s close, and his topspin is way tougher to play against in long rallies. 

Personally I put Nadal 1, Novak 2, Fed 3, but can’t argue with any other orders.

19 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Yeah head to head I think Novak kind of owns Fed.  He takes his biggest strength, serve and forehand, and uses it against him.  Djoker just doesn’t miss his backhand much, and he’s quick enough to cover the wide angles.  Nadal is not quite as good as Novak on HC but he’s close, and his topspin is way tougher to play against in long rallies. 

Personally I put Nadal 1, Novak 2, Fed 3, but can’t argue with any other orders.

I agree with you and I would add that there is a clear delineation between each guy's claim to #1.

While Nadal is still the Clay Court Master, until otherwise, and now Novak is the Hardcourt Master, until otherwise.

I’m a huge Fedal fanboy, but Djokovic is starting to put together a total resumé that makes it hard to dispute “GOAT” status. It’s near impossible to compare eras due to court speed, racquet technology variance, etc. but I think Djokovic is the best player of the 21st century when you combine peak with longevity (on top of his all-court variety of accolades). He’s got the most Master 1000’s, the most year-end #1, the second most ATP Finals, the third most majors, and he’s about to break the all-time record for Weeks at #1. He also has a winning record against both Federer and Nadal which are the two challengers of the era. I don’t really care for his style of play, but the dude is just unbelievable.

Edited by Bodowned

I’m a huge Fedal fanboy, but Djokovic is starting to put together a total resumé that makes it hard to dispute “GOAT” status. It’s near impossible to compare eras due to court speed, racquet technology variance, etc. but I think Djokovic is the best player of the 21st century when you combine peak with longevity (on top of his all-court variety of accolades). He’s got the most Master 1000’s, the most year-end #1, the second most ATP Finals, the third most majors, and he’s about to break the all-time record for Weeks at #1. He also has a winning record against both Federer and Nadal which are the two challengers of the era. I don’t really care for his style of play, but the dude is just unbelievable.

When he decides to really turn it on like he has in the last two AO finals, he’s insane. Hits the ball hard but also defends like crazy. His final against Nadal last year was the best performance I’ve ever seen. Maybe Nadals total dismantling of Federer in a FO years back was better.