Drew Pearson HOFer

conVINCEd

9 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I'm shocked he wasn't already in.  Did he piss somebody off?

It's an enigma.  Member of the 70s All Decade Team.  Some say there was a pro induction bias for Steelers players from the decade and an anti-Cowboys bias for same.  A lot of people in positions to choose come from media outlets scattered along the rival major east coast media markets of NFC East cities....but who knows.  It never made no damn sense and glad to see it FINALLY corrected.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Vikings fans?

Gotdam right. I was one of them. I’ll go to my grave thinking he pushed Nate Wright to the ground. 

But, it’s special seeing these old guys make it to the HOF when they have to be wondering if they’ll ever live to see the day. 

Roger Staubach who coined the term “Hail Mary” that day. He was asked after the game about the throw, and that was his way of saying that he threw up a prayer. 

Made me hate Catholics for a while. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Gotdam right. I was one of them. I’ll go to my grave thinking he pushed Nate Wright to the ground. 

But, it’s special seeing these old guys make it to the HOF when they have to be wondering if they’ll ever live to see the day. 

Roger Staubach who coined the term “Hail Mary” that day. He was asked after the game about the throw, and that was his way of saying that he threw up a prayer. 

Everyone remembers the Hail Mary pass... but the catch on 4th and 17 from like the 25, before that play to even have a shot... crazy catch by Pearson on the sideline keeping both feet in... whoa. 
He went Superman the last minute of that game. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DougO said:

I'm still more pissed that he wasn't inducted decades ago. It's a disgrace. But glad he finally got his day.

This. One of the biggest head scratchers in the history of the HOF. You don’t have to be a Cowboys fan to realize this guy should have been in decades ago. Shameful.

• Hook 'Em 2

Only about 30 years overdue...he is/was a shrewd businessman...I always thought he pissed off jones, because drew owned the trademark/copywright whatever it was called for the ring of honor.  He never stood a chance getting in the hof until he sold the thing to the jones, so he sold it at least 15 years ago.   That story could be totally b.s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Not even a Cowboy fan anymore but I used to be.  

Really happy for Drew.  Good guy.

Exactly where I am. Part of it is the regime, and part of it is a product of my age. The 70s Cowboys were older than me, and seemed bigger than life. They probably still did a bunch jack wagon stuff, but without social media to amplify it and 24 hour news cycles, we didn't know. 

It's still hard for me to imagine Staubach, Pearson, Landry, Pugh, Lilly, Billy Jo Dupree, Bob Hayes or any of the others sitting up at a podium talking about glory hole days. Course, there was was Lance Rentzel. 

Seeing Drew get into the HOF is a throw back to a time when sports probably wasn't much cleaner, but I was more naive about how it really worked. Great to see him get there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

Not even a Cowboy fan anymore but I used to be.  

Really happy for Drew.  Good guy.

This is me too.   Then Jerry Jones and his ego showed up.  Ruined it all.  But hey, we got Jerryworld out of the deal, right?  

88 had game and heart.  He epitomized the good in the NFL and deserves the recognition.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

This. One of the biggest head scratchers in the history of the HOF. You don’t have to be a Cowboys fan to realize this guy should have been in decades ago. Shameful.

Agree.  Hope this opens the door for Cliff Branch.

15 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Ha!  I was at a business conference in '97 in Minneapolis and ended up at a booth next to Carl Eller.  After listening to everyone kiss his ass all day, I asked him about the Hail Mary.  He got really pissed and started saying Pearson pushed off as well.  The president of our company just about sent my ass home for pissing off a paid rep.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Ha!  I was at a business conference in '97 in Minneapolis and ended up at a booth next to Carl Eller.  After listening to everyone kiss his ass all day, I asked him about the Hail Mary.  He got really pissed and started saying Pearson pushed off as well.  The president of our company just about sent my ass home for pissing off a paid rep.

I had one of those cheap kids’ NFL helmets with Viking horn logos that were disappointingly small. My dad did a great job painting on real size horns on the sides, and I did a not-so-great job of painting 81 on the back of the helmet. Carl Eller was my favorite Viking. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1