Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

People who eat popcorn in public either have such flawless dentition that it's impossible a shell might get caught in their teeth, are missing the part of their brain that registers annoyance, or else they have no impulse control. 

Meeting exactly none of these criteria, I will only eat popcorn when brushing my teeth afterwards isn't an inconvenience. 

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

People who eat popcorn in public either have such flawless dentition that it's impossible a shell might get caught in their teeth, are missing the part of their brain that registers annoyance, or else they have no impulse control. 

Meeting exactly none of these criteria, I will only eat popcorn when brushing my teeth afterwards isn't an inconvenience. 

i stash floss sticks in the car, in the office, and have one in the everyday bag.

my swiss army tool also has a toothpick.

getting stuff stuck in my teeth is like...almost worse than a stone in my shoe.  ive tried flossing with a clothing thread before, in a pinch

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i stash floss sticks in the car, in the office, and have one in the everyday bag.

my swiss army tool also has a toothpick.

getting stuff stuck in my teeth is like...almost worse than a stone in my shoe.  ive tried flossing with a clothing thread before, in a pinch

Same.  In the back of my wallet, too. But somehow I am extremely miserly about using them "frivolously" out of some bizarre apprehension about what happens if I then need one again later in the day before I have a chance to replenish. Or, heaven forbid, I forget to replenish at the first opportunity and then I really need one some other time. 

Pro tip: you can bite off a fingernail if you're really in a jam.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Same.  In the back of my wallet, too. But somehow I am extremely miserly about using them "frivolously" out of some bizarre apprehension about what happens if I then need one again later in the day before I have a chance to replenish. Or, heaven forbid, I forget to replenish at the first opportunity and then I really need one some other time. 

Pro tip: you can bite off a fingernail if you're really in a jam.

that is an expert level lifehack i had not considered

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Am I the only one who, when I hear the same artist or band on several terrestrial radio stations simultaneously or in a short span, immediately worries/assumes that the artist or someone in the band must have died? 

Nope.  

Bob Uecker should have the Medal of Freedom bestowed upon him, he's a National Treasure. 

So when my shit comes out looking sorta brown, sorta orange, sorta yellow...and in the inexplicable shape of a traffic cone...it's not because I need to consume less fried food and liquor...it's just my own personal "Autumn Mix"?   Sweet.  

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Not sure if anyone else is the same, but I put actors/actresses in the TV vs MOVIE bucket.  And it seems natural to me to see people from "TV" transition to movies, but it's still really weird to see "movie" people appear in TV shows

Spoiler

Mel Gibson: Thank you very much for that! It’s great to be here. Actually, it’s kind of weird to be here, I’m not really accustomed to doing TV. Uh, see, basically I’m a movie star. But that’s a great job, though – you travel around the world, you work with beautiful women, you drive fast cars, and they pay you ridiculous amounts of money.

And this is the good bit – this part will really kill you – I don’t have to work very hard. And it’s fun. I do my own stunts. If you see my character jump from a building, hey that’s me; and when you see me land, that’s the stunt man.

Now, before I was a movie star, I had other jobs, you know, low-paying, menial jobs. And I can tell you the best job I ever had was being a professional movie star. Because, as a movie star, I get paid a ridiculous amount of money and I don’t have to work that hard. So, to sum it all up, being a movie star – high reward, low effort. Now, for this show, I’m getting paid next to nothing, and it’s been a tremendous amount of hard work, so right away I know I don’t like television. And, as I stand here, I realize that, in a live broadcast like this, something could go terribly wrong, and I could end up alienating millions of movie-going patrons.

Basically, hosting “Saturday Night Live” is, for me – high risk, low reward. As opposed to movies, which is, once again – high reward, low effort. And you may be wondering why I would jeopardize all that I have worked for.. [ laughs ] ..well, actually, it’s just fallen into my lap.

https://snltranscripts.jt.org/88/88pmono.phtml

Wow, I guess I never really thought about it, Stevie Nicks is a year and half older than my mom, and I'm 52. She could be a great-grandma. My Dad is younger than every member of Pink Floyd except for David Gilmour. I probably should have posted this in the "High" thread.

CHIEF

At this point in my life I can't tell you who won the last 5 or even 3 NFL/NBA/NCAAFB/etc titles.  And I can't tell if it's due to shit memory or because im not a teenager and i have more things to occupy my mind, whereas I used to be encyclopedic with this stuff.

if I really think about it, yeah, Chiefs... and before that maybe Pats, and then Falcons?

NBA was ...uh...Raptors, then I guess GS twice before that

FB was Clemson then probably Alabama cuz Saban is the devil

for sure anything before that is a crapshoot

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

And I can't tell if it's due to shit memory or because im not a teenager and i have more things to occupy my mind, whereas I used to be encyclopedic with this stuff.

The former. I can name every NBA champion since 1980. I can probably get close to 2000 with college football and Super Bowls. Probably most of the last 15 WS Champs. And that's just quickly and off the top of my head, this isn't like, something I study. 

I'm sure other people can do better than me. 

But you maybe might not be into sports as much. You should probably work on your memory of who won the CFB national title last year, though. That might be cause for concern.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

The former. I can name every NBA champion since 1980. I can probably get close to 2000 with college football and Super Bowls. Probably most of the last 15 WS Champs. And that's just quickly and off the top of my head, this isn't like, something I study. 

I'm sure other people can do better than me. 

But you maybe might not be into sports as much. You should probably work on your memory of who won the CFB national title last year, though. That might be cause for concern.

shit yeah.  thats a gigantic miss.

what about detail of specific matches?  when people say "yeah TD pass was just like 2013 vs missouri" ...outside of iconic plays, how is that possible?

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

what about detail of specific matches?  when people say "yeah TD pass was just like 2013 vs missouri" ...outside of iconic plays, how is that possible?

I'm definitely not as good with stuff like that. But I don't think my memory is as good as it once was either. 

It's recently impressed on me multiple times that in cooking, simple is sooo much better.

Case in point: making burgers.  Not sure if I got it from James Beard or Alton Brown's book (but for sure I didnt make it up on my own), but it required a mix of different ground beef, lump in some diced onions, add garlic powder, dash of worcestershire, all that shit.... then built the burger the TV style with tomatoes and lettuce and all the fixings.

Tasted forgettable.

Then I got inspired by Kenjis recent burger video.  Fatty ground beef, pressed in bun shape.  Sprinkle some salt and pepper.  Brown it in heavy pan to get a nice crust.  Add melted cheese, raw onion.. done.   Incredibly satisfying and so much easier.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

The Onion used to be hilarious when they had guest columnists like Herbert Kornfeld and Smoove B. 

Now, like everything else, it's just politics.

Who was the stoner guy in the skull cap that used to guest editorialize?  20 years later I still crack up at his one about saving up enough money to go to Amsterdam to smoke weed even though he himself sold weed for a living.  He started every one with "Hola Amigos."  Their shit was so sophomoric but somehow much funnier than it is now.  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Who was the stoner guy in the skull cap that used to guest editorialize?  20 years later I still crack up at his one about saving up enough money to go to Amsterdam to smoke weed even though he himself sold weed for a living.  He started every one with "Hola Amigos."  Their shit was so sophomoric but somehow much funnier than it is now.  

Yes! Jim Anchower! That was classic Onion

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Jim Anchower?  Loved that guy.  I think there was a poster on the scat site with that handle.

cheeseweasel beat me to it.

Edited by Druggist

On 9/21/2020 at 8:57 AM, ztejas said:

I'm definitely not as good with stuff like that. But I don't think my memory is as good as it once was either. 

Craig Way probably never watches "classic" games because he knows every play and outcome from every game that has ever been played in any sport.

I cannot remember the outcome from games that were played last year unless it involves Texas and I watched almost all of them.

Just now, Steamboat1874 said:

Craig Way probably never watches "classic" games because he knows every play and outcome from every game that has ever been played in any sport.

I cannot remember the outcome from games that were played last year unless it involves Texas and I watched almost all of them.

I blame beer.