Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

So, Noor Bin Laden, Osama Bin Laden's niece, is a huge Trump supporter, and makes the news for displaying her support in places like Lake Geneva, etc.

Is there *anyone* in the Bin Laden family who is nice and boring? Anyone? I mean, every family has that one person who, if the family decides to start a cult, instead decides to make baloney sandwiches at a homeless shelter. 

I suppose there might be, and we just never hear about them because they are boring. But it's hard to imagine. Say "Bin Laden" is your name, and I guess everyone just expects the furthest out, wildest story to be the true one.

27 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

So, Noor Bin Laden, Osama Bin Laden's niece, is a huge Trump supporter, and makes the news for displaying her support in places like Lake Geneva, etc.

Is there *anyone* in the Bin Laden family who is nice and boring?

I think being a huge supporter of any candidate from either of the two giant corporate political parties is boring as fuck. 

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

I think being a huge supporter of any candidate from either of the two giant corporate political parties is boring as fuck. 

Granted, but it typically doesn't make headlines like a Kardashian on vacation. All politics aside, you just know there's not "policy" reasons behind her support, it's purely for the shock value, and it works, because there's the tabloids with their cameras.

I bet there's no neighborhood piano teachers in the Bin Laden family tree.

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Granted, but it typically doesn't make headlines like a Kardashian on vacation. All politics aside, you just know there's not "policy" reasons behind her support, it's purely for the shock value, and it works, because there's the tabloids with their cameras.

I bet there's no neighborhood piano teachers in the Bin Laden family tree.

yeah, the first time I heard of her undying allegiance to Trump, I immediately thought of the "I've got a crush on Obama" girl. 

which might be a little bit sexist! OOPS

5 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

It’s way inland so

a very big one. 

I saw a documentary on PBS about how the Pharaohs hired Egyptian farmers during the rainy season when the Nile flooded their farmlands to build the pyramids. They were paid and given health care and treated pretty well.

Why does Texas need 8 university systems and then the THECB on top of that?  I know it's a big state, but no other state has more than 2, plus we're supposed to be kinda limited government.  The redundancies make my head spin.  

Edited by Lobo

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Why does Texas need 8 university systems and then the THECB on top of that?  I know it's a big state, but no other state has more than 2, plus we're supposed to be kinda limited government.  The redundancies make my head spin.  

We have 2 in DFW now both based out of Denton.  Makes perfect sense.

Absolutely, when we think of limited government/pro-business/pro-liberty leadership...you immediately think of redundant administration based in Denton.  It's Hobbes & Locke 101.  

2 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

I don't like the response of "no problem", when I say thank you.

I usually go with, “Sure thing.” I found more occasion to use it while holding doors open for people during the pandemic, usually with my elbow, wearing my mask, and trying my best to remain distant.

Is that okay?

(Today marks two weeks of being fully vaccinated. Woohoo!!)

I can’t say I’ve never used, “No problem,” before. I’m sure I have. There was this time a few years ago when I was going to the grocery store and this guy was driving by who had some of those colored ads printed on newsprint plastered on his grill. I stepped in front of his car and held up my hand and made him stop. I don’t know what he must have been thinking. But I pulled them off, showed them to him, then went and threw them in the trash receptacle. He said, “Thank you!” I can’t recall what I said in response. Might’ve been, “Sure thing!” Might’ve been, “No problem!”

Ive never told anyone that story before. 

On 6/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

John Deere calls the deck attachment system on my lawn tractor something like "Easy Attach System".  That's a lie.  Maybe if you have a smooth, level concrete floor, the deck is perfectly adjusted, and you have four hands.

So much this. It's easy to detach. Attaching is a whole other level. Especially if you've run it for years and nothing is square anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

John Deere calls the deck attachment system on my lawn tractor something like "Easy Attach System".  That's a lie.  Maybe if you have a smooth, level concrete floor, the deck is perfectly adjusted, and you have four hands.

You just described Iowa.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

College Baseball has the best looking chicks in the stands

Usually player girlfriends. From a sheer numbers standpoint you can’t beat a football game though. 

Don’t know what it is about basketball. You know it’s more popular than baseball but it doesn’t bring out hot chicks like baseball or football do. The player girlfriends usually aren’t even that hot until you reach the NBA level. It’s weird.

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Usually player girlfriends. From a sheer numbers standpoint you can’t beat a football game though. 

Don’t know what it is about basketball. You know it’s more popular than baseball but it doesn’t bring out hot chicks like baseball or football do. The player girlfriends usually aren’t even that hot until you reach the NBA level. It’s weird.

Sheer number on football, you are correct. But on percentages, I still give it to baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Sheer number on football, you are correct. But on percentages, I still give it to baseball.

How about golf wives?

To flip the subject a bit.  Remember in Harry Potter part 1, Dumbledore seemed to produce a feast in midair for hundreds of students?  Why couldn't they cure hunger?  Also, if the wizard tournament thing was so dangerous, why have it? 

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

why do pistachios that come still in the shell, that you peel and shell yourself taste exponentially better than the ones that come pre-shelled? 

Don’t know. Never had them pre-shelled.

Here’s a good anecdote from Bob Weir, though. After the Dead finally had a top 10 hit with Touch of Grey and made a lot of money, some reporter asked him how his life had changed. He said that now when he encountered a pistachio he couldn’t open, he’d just throw it away. 

• Haha 3

And what became of that discarded nut?  Yep, it was the inspiration of the hit Dead song, "Pistachio Moon" from the Built to Last album, 1989.

Edited by Lobo

To flip the subject a bit.  Remember in Harry Potter part 1, Dumbledore seemed to produce a feast in midair for hundreds of students?  Why couldn't they cure hunger?

They can’t pull food from thin air. That the first law of Gamp’s laws of elemental transfiguration.