Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

I went to Jiffy Lube today to get a State Inspection done for my vehicle.  I left the key with the attendant and took a seat inside the lobby.  There were a couple other people there too.  One older lady was talking loudly on her cell phone in a foreign language.  It took me a minute to recognize which language, but then she spoke a couple of the few words I know in Russian.  It was kind of surreal to sit there and listen to her go on and on talking in Russian for 15 minutes or so.  I wondered if @Hugo Stiglitzwere there, how badly would he have freaked out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

From the local TV stations website, the weather forecast for this weekend includes "Over the weekend, temperatures should be warming up with highs returning to the upper 60s and low 70s, Saturday and Sunday, respectfully". 

No rude weather allowed. 

That's a shame. Rude weather girls are the only saving grace of television nowadays.

• Like 1

I’ve been driving my 2012 Honda Civic for the past 9 years almost. I’ve never gotten pulled over driving that thing. Not once. The biggest reason IMO? (besides me not being black)... non-tinted windows. What criminal would ever drive a car with non-tinted windows. Yeah it’s hot as shit in the summer but just something to think about. Had that thought come to me a couple days ago while driving.

"Employee pricing for everyone" deals at car dealerships seem like a really shitty way to treat your employees. "Hey, we value your work and want to provide you a benefit, but we'll also give it to the general public sometimes, because it's not really that good a deal and we still make hella profit."

One day, and very soon actually, you'll walk into a bank branch for the very last time.  And then after that, you'll use the drive-thru at the bank for the very last time.  And a few years after that, you'll use an ATM for the very last time.    

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

One day, and very soon actually, you'll walk into a bank branch for the very last time.  And then after that, you'll use the drive-thru at the bank for the very last time.  And a few years after that, you'll use an ATM for the very last time.    

And then I die?

I’d make for a terrible terrorist as the first second I’m water boarded I’m giving ALLLL the details... I know this bc of the panic that sets in when I blow my nose into a tissue and inhale through my mouth catching the tissue hanging down.

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2019 at 11:38 PM, bernorange said:

I went to Jiffy Lube today to get a State Inspection done for my vehicle.  I left the key with the attendant and took a seat inside the lobby.  There were a couple other people there too.  One older lady was talking loudly on her cell phone in a foreign language.  It took me a minute to recognize which language, but then she spoke a couple of the few words I know in Russian.  It was kind of surreal to sit there and listen to her go on and on talking in Russian for 15 minutes or so.  I wondered if @Hugo Stiglitzwere there, how badly would he have freaked out.

You need to get out more.  Up here in the NY/NJ area it seems like 20% of the population is 1st generation American.  

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Interesting take.  Republic Bank is building branches all over the place.  

Was scrolling through this morning to find a basketball game and there were still a dozen Christmas movies playing over several channels.  I think it's usually until Sunday evening before the end of the "holiday season" really hits most women.  Plus the Epiphany isn't until Monday when most Catholics finally take a breath and stop making it all about them.  

And every year at this time, I have to ask, if the Three Wise Men/Kings/Magi didn't visit the Christ-Child until 6 January, why are they always positioned alongside the holy family in the manger immediately after Jesus' birth?  

And then I realize, that's why they are wise...that's how they can afford such lavish gifts.  MERCHANDISING!  They shimmied their way into the manger scene dioramas and paintings even though they really weren't there.  That licensing agreement has accounted for hundreds of millions of dollars over the millennia.  Their agreement with Michael's & HomeGoods alone is the GDP of several small nations.  These guys knew what was up, hence the Three Wise Men(tm) moniker.  

20 hours ago, Lobo said:

My credit union has a branch where the "tellers" are automated kiosks with work-at-home personnel.