Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

On November 2, 2020 at 11:39 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

Cramps are the worst?  Bullshit.  Dry socket where both lower wisdom teeth were laughs at your cramps.  Or a nice abscess in your ear about an inch into your head.  The pain from the abscess hit all at once, like someone stabbed me in the jaw.  Both the dry sockets and the abscess had me on the ground, begging someone to shoot me.  Thank goodness no one liked me enough to do it.

Try confusing a bottle of this with a bottle of Visine and, in the dark, putting a drop of it in your eye then going to the ER to get your eye flushed. 

nilodor-air-freshener-and-odor-neutraliz

5 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Ouch.  I bet that stung.

It really did. And then at the ER they put some drops in my eye to numb it which didn't really numb it all that much and I had to stare right into this stream of saline solution that they were using to flush it. 

I let the expletives fly. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It really did. And then at the ER they put some drops in my eye to numb it which didn't really numb it all that much and I had to stare right into this stream of saline solution that they were using to flush it. 

I let the expletives fly. 

Funny how much the expletives help, or seem to, isn't it?

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Keys, Phone, Wallet, Mask, Sanitizer 

One of the best reasons to not smoke or pick it up is that cigs + lighter is such a pain in the ass add to this.

At least when I'm driving myself I know I have a mask and lighter in the car already. 

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

One of the best reasons to not smoke or pick it up is that cigs + lighter is such a pain in the ass add to this.

At least when I'm driving myself I know I have a mask and lighter in the car already. 

It's also a good reason not to carry a slice of cherry pie and a plastic fork around with you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Lady I was to have a meeting with texted me earlier that she had to cancel suddenly, her son had to have emergency testicular torsion surgery. Had to google that one. Ouch. Guess he got his panties in a wad.

Or a wad in his panties.... Had a student get that once; the school clinician just reached in and... uh... "unrotated" it. The look of relief on his face was immediate.

I've had an Evernote account for forever.  Didn't use it seriously at first, so the password was ultra weak.  Then I progressively used it more for shopping notes, travel notes, even work notes, all sorts of shit... and then ignored it for last few years.

This morning got email alert that my account was signed on from Ecuador.  Then I checked the website history and it shows my account had signed on every few months from fucking China, Ukraine, Venezuela, etc etc etc.

Now I'm sure no actual individual sat there and read through the stuff, and I didn't have any ultra confidential in there, or ultra personal/sensitive in there.  The work stuff requires a bit of context to understand.  But damn it's embarassing and vulnerable to feel like someone snooped through all your shit

For decades, I have offered folks viable ideas for making a career promoting Texas foodstuffs., (To the logical question, I am happy in my career).

Dried mullet roe is the first of my identified Texas’ bounties to be commercially available. One pregnant mullet + curing yields $40 retail. I’ve sieved mullet along the coast. It remains solid advice.

One day, we will have a world class ham that is Texan. (Acorn and pig and know how).Texas will be a major producer of Argon oil. (Check out Morrocan longitude. We have goats). And somebody will make bank farming clytocybe nuda. 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Yes

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Why do guys who ride road bikes feel the need to wear costumes? At lunch today and a few guys came in wearing the normal: sleeveless jean jackets with patches, do-rag, mirror glasses.

I have a truck. Should I wear a cowboy hat and a bolo tie when I drive it?

I don’t have one and am not a biker fan at all, but I’ve been told that the leather/denim is for protection in case they tip/slide (most of them do at some point) but the sleeveless part kinda defeats that purpose.

Do-rag is for sweat and to keep hair from getting caught in the helmet.

I could guess on the glasses but don’t really know.

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I don’t have one and am not a biker fan at all, but I’ve been told that the leather/denim is for protection in case they tip/slide (most of them do at some point) but the sleeveless part kinda defeats that purpose.

No leather for these guys, no helmets either.  But the costumes looked great!

22 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

So that's what the do rag does....

How is it that I haven't smoked a cigarette in 12 years, and I probably haven't even been around them beyond just passing someone on the street in a year or more, yet every so often when I blow my nose, it still really smells like cigarette smoke? 

Am I the only one who experiences this? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

How is it that I haven't smoked a cigarette in 12 years, and I probably haven't even been around them beyond just passing someone on the street in a year or more, yet every so often when I blow my nose, it still really smells like cigarette smoke? 

Am I the only one who experiences this? 

For at least ten years after I had the gas chamber training in boot camp I smelled tear gas when I sneezed or blew my nose.  I guess a few molecules get stuck up in the olfactory system or sinuses and get released every once in a while.

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

For at least ten years after I had the gas chamber training in boot camp I smelled tear gas when I sneezed or blew my nose.  I guess a few molecules get stuck up in the olfactory system or sinuses and get released every once in a while.

Interesting. Is your sense of smell otherwise good or bad or remarkable in any way? 

Mine is so good it's sometimes a real liability.

7 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Interesting. Is your sense of smell otherwise good or bad or remarkable in any way? 

Mine is so good it's sometimes a real liability.

It's pretty good, which is a big help working with wastewater.  I sometimes know more about how a basin is doing from how it smells than from lab results.  But I do get "nose blind" to some of the more odious odors.  It's not that I don't smell them, I can ignore them better than others.

Right on - I'm much the same way. I guess the "lone odor molecule from a pervasive smell of the past" phenomenon could just be the price we pay for a good sense of smell, which in many ways is already a liability, at least when not viewing it as an adaptive survival mechanism.

I suspect that most people don't realize how much nearly everything stinks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

It's more likely psychological. 

On 11/16/2020 at 8:06 AM, Scheiss Meister said:

We have done studies to try to control odors from our plants and learned that there is no sensor that can measure odorous compounds in the air at the low levels that the human nose can detect them.  It's difficult to control something that you can't measure.

Applies to a lot of things in life. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/25/2020 at 4:37 PM, TKthunder2 said:

When I’m away from my bidet and no wet wipes are available I just spit on some TP...is that weird?

Not all all. Your scenario means you're out of the house and using 220 grit for TP. A little spit turns it into a more comfortable 400 grit.

In March when were rumors that taking quinine could prevent covid, some dumb bitch on Nextdoor said there's quinine in tonic water, and a few cups a day would keep the covid away.

I did the math for her - she would need to drink about 5 gallons (don't remember the exact amount, but it was a lot) to get the "recommended" dosage. I told her she'd die of water poisoning before she getting enough. She called me an asshole for not being a dumbass.

• Like 1

So five gallons of gin and tonic a day then to stave off Covid-19?  Seems reasonable. 

You don't hear much about HCQ anymore.  Maybe add some gin?  

Edited by Lobo

My 12 yr old kiddo is 5'4 and 120 and just turned 12. I do not endorse fighting or retaliation unless the other won't stop, and he knows this. Then, all bets are off. Other bully kid who is 4'10" got a broke nose today in front of others after a hard shove to minime. Not even mad, and he didn't get ISS because of witnesses.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1