Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

Friend of a friend has been missing for nearly 4 years. Found his vehicle abandoned shortly after he disappeared but no sign of him. They have video of his car exiting a freeway to his apartment but nothing else. Well, there's something else. This footage from his ring camera the night he disappeared.

https://ring.com/share/6455832760721657376?fbclid=IwAR0p-2tl-BDWle0lMUIqbfHbjzjGM4BQvIkTEZZFx-lhwH0xPy3bD9oGxIU

Scary shit. 

On 9/6/2021 at 11:27 AM, HRSchenker said:

Friend of a friend has been missing for nearly 4 years. Found his vehicle abandoned shortly after he disappeared but no sign of him. They have video of his car exiting a freeway to his apartment but nothing else. Well, there's something else. This footage from his ring camera the night he disappeared.

https://ring.com/share/6455832760721657376?fbclid=IwAR0p-2tl-BDWle0lMUIqbfHbjzjGM4BQvIkTEZZFx-lhwH0xPy3bD9oGxIU

Scary shit. 

That's fucked up.

Also, this is the perfect set up for a rickroll.  

Edited by Incredulity

I don't know why, but today while driving it popped into my head that if Abe Lincoln were a classic rock guitarist he would definitely be a Les Paul guy. Big, thick, heavy chunk of wood for a notorious ax master. But it would be a simple one, a modest standard typical non-flamey tobacco sunburst or maybe plain black.

Watching an early rerun of Foyle’s War on PBS. Good show. I never discovered it until the sixth and final season. Now they’re rerunning it. There was an actor playing a relatively small part. I know that guy. Where do I know him from? I was racking my brain and couldn’t figure it out. The first part of my memory going bad as I get older is being unable to remember names of celebrities but I never even knew this guy’s name. But I knew I knew him from somewhere. What made matters worse was that the guide listed the wrong episode. So that didn’t help. I had to go to Wikipedia and look up a list of episodes, find it was The White Feather (not Eagle Day like the guide said), then go to IMDb and look up the cast and find that it was Tobias Menzies. He played Brutus in the HBO original series Rome! THAT’S where I knew him from! What a relief. That was driving me nuts.

Sometimes while I am watching tv I will take my wedding ring and put it on my pinky.  Maybe I ate too much salty food and it feels tight on my ring finger.  So anyways, I put it on my pinky.  Then I think to myself, what kind of man wears a pinky ring???  From time to time I see men doing it and they don't look like pimps or some sort of mafia type.  Maybe they are swinger types?  Or child molesters?  I don't know because for the life of me, I can not think of a single good reason for a man wearing a pinky ring.  So then I put my wedding ring back on my ring finger.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

People should not be allowed to use the prefix Dr. if they're not medical doctors.

Truth. The only reason you would get a Doctorate in Engineering is to go teach. So if you passed your EIT's, you are smarter than every single person who has a Doctorate in Education / Philosophy, etc. IMNSHO.

The power of advertising:

When I was a kid, I would try to duplicate the same "look" of applying toothpaste to the brush.

I have no idea how much I wasted & recall when I was around 10 years old, I must have spent 15 minutes at the sink trying to recreate this with the swirl & tapered off tail.2400702a675a0c6ed4d366bb738f6e17.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2021 at 1:27 PM, HRSchenker said:

Scary shit. 

So do they have any leads or anything from the camera?

Edited by Hook1997

41 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

So do they any leads or anything from the camera?

Last I heard there are no leads. Of course that's probably code for "we have leads but aren't talking so we don't spook the perpetrator" but they've said the same thing about Missy Bevers. I doubt it ever gets solved without someone confessing. 

I'm watching game 2 of the 1993 NBA Finals on YouTube and Huey Lewis and the News comes out to sing the national anthem.

Huey Lewis looks like he's been doing blow for the past 3 days. 

Mostly I was interested in the basketball but this mini lesson in American cultural history isn't bad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm watching game 2 of the 1993 NBA Finals on YouTube and Huey Lewis and the News comes out to sing the national anthem.

Huey Lewis looks like he's been doing blow for the past 3 days. 

Mostly I was interested in the basketball but this mini lesson in American cultural history isn't bad. 

Also - during the 3rd quarter they interviewed Rush Limbaugh and let him deliver his political shtick. Watching games like this is like revisting that period in American history. It's easy to pick up on significant, non-basketball related differences.

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Also - during the 3rd quarter they interviewed Rush Limbaugh and let him deliver his political shtick. Watching games like this is like revisting that period in American history. It's easy to pick up on significant, non-basketball related differences.

So - correction - that was the 2nd quarter with Rush.

But - on another crazy note - the game is at half and they just did a news piece on the conflict in Mogadishu, Somalia. 

I'm sitting here watching MJ and Barkley go at it and they go to half and I'm thinking "Wait... is that the black hawk down event?" 

And surprise surprise it is. 

The level of immersion from watching a sports broadcast is unbelievable.

6 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Last I heard there are no leads. Of course that's probably code for "we have leads but aren't talking so we don't spook the perpetrator" but they've said the same thing about Missy Bevers. I doubt it ever gets solved without someone confessing. 

No leads? Everyone leaves microbes and what not. 

On 9/7/2021 at 5:43 PM, DougO said:

I don't know why, but today while driving it popped into my head that if Abe Lincoln were a classic rock guitarist he would definitely be a Les Paul guy. Big, thick, heavy chunk of wood for a notorious ax master. But it would be a simple one, a modest standard typical non-flamey tobacco sunburst or maybe plain black.

You could take the time and assign a band instrument to all of the past presidents. Maybe some are vocalists. Who's on drums? What about the guys on Mt. Rushmore? Etc...

17 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I've been reading about Gabrielle Petito, the girl who disappeared after a cross country trip with her boyfriend. He refused to answer questions and lawyered up when ask about her disappearance. But I'm pretty sure I could get him to talk playing "This little piggy" like they did in Payback.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:37 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Watching an early rerun of Foyle’s War on PBS. Good show. I never discovered it until the sixth and final season. Now they’re rerunning it. There was an actor playing a relatively small part. I know that guy. Where do I know him from? I was racking my brain and couldn’t figure it out. The first part of my memory going bad as I get older is being unable to remember names of celebrities but I never even knew this guy’s name. But I knew I knew him from somewhere. What made matters worse was that the guide listed the wrong episode. So that didn’t help. I had to go to Wikipedia and look up a list of episodes, find it was The White Feather (not Eagle Day like the guide said), then go to IMDb and look up the cast and find that it was Tobias Menzies. He played Brutus in the HBO original series Rome! THAT’S where I knew him from! What a relief. That was driving me nuts.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, ROFL BOX said:

^ ^ Definitely what this thread was designed for, but also boring AF.

No kidding.  I watched that show religiously, and Vorenus and Caesar have turned into relatively big stars.  Occasionally I see Pullo and Antony here and there.  I remember what Vorenus' wife and Cleopatra look like, obviously.  But Brutus?  I couldn't tell you what he looked like much less any of his scenes...except for the obvious one and even in that one, he wasn't featured as prominently as one would have expected.  In fact, that's what i remember most about Brutus, he should have been front and center in the murder but was one of like five guys.