Glengarry Glen Ross

Sbbruin

Who ever told you that you could work with men?  

(I think about that Pacino scene a lot whenever a millennial working for me complains that we don't focus enough on corporate culture) 

Edited by Lobo

• 2 years later...
On 4/28/2018 at 6:55 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

This thread is going to be a bunch of quotes from 1 scene. 

I’ve watched that scene on youtube so many times I could probably recite most of it.  great scene.  I haven’t actually seen anything else of the movie, though.  a bunch of nancies selling real estate just doesn’t seem very enjoyable.  selling real estate is for restless housewives. 

16 minutes ago, futureman said:

I’ve watched that scene on youtube so many times I could probably recite most of it.  great scene.  I haven’t actually seen anything else of the movie, though.  a bunch of nancies selling real estate just doesn’t seem very enjoyable.  selling real estate is for restless housewives. 

You should watch it.  It's a bunch of basically con men selling nearly phony real estate and trying to fuck each other over in the process.  The actors are good and mostly in scenery-chewing mode.

Edited by TwiceHorn

i went to a "reading" of this at the james bridges theater at ucla (ironic considering the thread starter) about 6-7 years ago.  fairly small theater, like a high-school auditorium feel.

it was a reading, which is to say, they sat on stools and had scripts in front of them, and behind them there were assorted images (office, bar, etc) and some sound.  but seriously, it didn't detract at all, it was basically like reading the play, which is awesome if you haven't done it (the baldwin scene is not in the play, sorry).

richard schiff played george, richard dreyfuss played shelley levine, josh stamberg played williamson, and joe mantegna played ricky roma, the role he made famous and won a tony for.  the other parts were all played by ~familiar faces, many of whom had received acclaim for their ggr performances other places.

there was a discussion on a different thread about a screening/q&a i went to for "house of games" (mamet) with mantegna and ricky jay.  mantegna tells the story about mamet coming backstage after another stellar roma performance and basically says, "hey joe, we're gonna do the movie.  and before you ask, you didn't get it, we got pacino.  but hey, you were great tonight."

he also talked about how mamet writes his plays/scripts and literally accounts for every breath of air.  every pause, every beat, every comma, every syllable.  and never ever changes anything, and never allows any improvisation, or ad-libbing.  his writing has a rhythm to it, and he can immediately tell when it's broken by some two-bit actor, and that's not allowed. 

this was it - https://www.theatermania.com/shows/los-angeles-theater/glengarry-glen-ross_200080

Edited by henrygandorf
mitch and murray
  • Like 2

Wife surprised me and took me to see it live in '07 at Dallas Theater Center- Kalita Humphreys Theatre (Frank Lloyd Wright) before they moved to the Wyly.  John Doman (Lt. Rawls from the Wire) played Dave Moss.  It was surreal watching how good they were.  

I should have gotten that in before @henrygandorf's post. Bad ass.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/review-glengarry-glen-ross-6375528

Edited by threesheets