The Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+

mdmost

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Like it not as great as Wanda yet but like Isiah’s inclusion this week

Yep, they are doing deep dives on Captain America's little part of the Marvel Universe.  Was very surprised/impressed they pulled Isiah in

Spoiler

And they've laid the groundwork for Isiah's grandson in as a new/young avenger

Also, John Walker gave us a very brief glimpse that he's going to turn psychopath, like he did in the comics.

And loved they are bringing in not only Flag Smasher, but Power Broker and a few others.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bolverk said:

Two nits to pick:

1.   Hide contents

1. They're a little sloppy with the action sequences. For example when the Winter Soldier is shoved out the back of the truck, the two Super Soldiers are waiting and standing on the roof of the one following with no indication of how they got up there. Something similar happened last week that caught my eye, but I can't recall it off the top of my head. I dunno, it just stuck out.
    2. Compared to WandaVision, this series is lacking in overall the creativity of its writing and dialogue feels like a bit of a letdown in comparison.

I'll keep watching though.

I'm not sure what everyone was expecting. It always looked like a straight up action thriller series. I'm enjoying it. Yeah, it's cheesy. It's a Marvel show. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Mackie is awesome to me. I'd love for him to be the face of the MCU going forward.

I like him in this role. He was wrong for Altered Carbon, and some other roles I have seen him in made me question if he was a single character actor. His angst towards Bucky seems strange to me though.

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm not sure what everyone was expecting. It always looked like a straight up action thriller series. I'm enjoying it. Yeah, it's cheesy. It's a Marvel show. 

I was expecting something a little more jaunty, clever, and snappy but realize we're only two episodes in and that my reaction could well be premature.

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This. It’s just a marvel movie chopped up into 6 episodes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

I like him in this role. He was wrong for Altered Carbon, and some other roles I have seen him in made me question if he was a single character actor. His angst towards Bucky seems strange to me though.

Probably Cap's new friend vs old friend jealousy issues. Normally that pettiness is reserved for females, but I've seen guys act funny too.

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yeah the show is going the way I expected as more action packed. I’m enjoying it so far. I don’t if it’s necessarily fair to compare it to WandaVision because the characters from each show are of a different genre in Marvel. 

I also remember not liking the first two episodes of WV.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/27/2021 at 9:22 AM, MC Fresh Breath said:

I thought that was pretty bad.  I am sorry to say it, because I wanted to like it.  Poorly written, poorly edited.  The psychologist scene in the train station was horrible and really stupid.

This.

Yea, I think the contingent who are...disappointed? I guess is the best word... probably needed to reset expectations after WandaVision. WV was creative and interesting and took some stylistic risks that paid off, and was awesome even for non comic book nerds.

This show is essentially what happens when you take a middling or average comic book movie and create a TV show about it, which is what everyone feared for with WV and because Disney performed a sleight of hand and gave us some good TV, we raved and expected it here.

The problems I think so far have been mentioned, Falcon and Bucky are supporting characters with the insufficient on screen charisma to match, which means they aren’t doing well to carry the show forward and so the action-heavy conflict is driving the plot, which is fine, it’s a comic book movie, but you are leaving out things that round out a decent or good show and take it to the next level— great writing, dialogue, intrigue, suspense, a charismatic character (even if a baddie) that pops off the screen in some way. Instead you get a C+ movie with all the cliches— like when they trotted out the “fighting on top of speeding 18 wheelers” trope (complete with the good guy moving out of the way so a bad guy hits a road sign), groans were audible.

As mentioned, this was only the second episode and the new Cap already in only one episode seems to be a character who is compelling and can save the show from being boring to all except those fans who 1) love fan service, 2) esoteric comic book character integration and 3) masturbated into comic books until they were 30.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This show is essentially what happens when you take a middling or average comic book movie and create a TV show about it....

The problems I think so far have been mentioned.....

As mentioned, this was only the second episode and the new Cap already in only one episode seems to be a character who is compelling and can save the show from being boring 

The problem is that a bunch of Captain America-specific characters are going to be the focal point, and it's throwing some folks off.  Marvel has decided to do a really deep dive on the Captain America part of the Marvel Universe. 

Casual/non-comic book fans understood instantly who Agatha Harkness is, because she's a witch, and they understand what a witch is.  They get who Zemo is somewhat from the movies (albeit they may not realize how big he is in the Captain America part of the Marvel Universe, or know about the different versions of him over the years).  Isaiah Bradley, his grandson Eli, Flag Smasher, Power Broker, Batroc, Joaquin Torres, US Agent, Blackstar, these are all characters that were introduced anywhere from the early 200s back to the 1980s and earlier.

Spoiler

And it feels like we are being setup for a Scourge storyline, which could see a bloodbath of these characters.  I doubt US Agent/Battlestar survive.  Like in the original comics, I think US Agent will win a lot of fans, but he's meant to show what happens when you get an evil patriot.

US Agent and Battlestar are going to keep things interesting, since we caught a brief glimpse of the psychopath US Agent becomes (when he ominously tells them to stay out of his way).  We know Falcon/Bucky take the shield at some point from all of the trailers/previews, but don't count out Zemo surprising everybody.

• Like 1

If any of you all think this is weird, just wait - they could very well introduce

Spoiler

Bold Urban Commandies - "BUCkies", which are vigilantes who support Super Patriot/US Agent aka John Walker.

And then you're going to see shit get really weird.

But I think that's stretching things, given how few episodes we have left.  I think the focus is on Nemo/Power Brokers (super soldier serum folks I'm guessing) and the Flag Smashers, with US Agent going psycho at some point in his pursuit of them.

Disappointed with the 2nd episode. Fight scene was sloppy with Bucky jumping on the lead truck bypassing any surprise since he was in plain view of the 2nd truck. Then the rest of the baddies just magically show up on top. Just not well put together or executed.

Then the buddy hero angle is just too forced. The psychiatrist treating them as a couple, while a bit funny, is just way too silly at this point in the show. Maybe if the shrink had a smart remark or two to build up that angle then lead into a shared counseling in episode 4 the payoff would have been better and more believable.

I AM interested in these characters. Really would like to see how Falcon functions as black American superhero. We have Nick Fury (who is more of an enigmatic figurehead) and not much else in the MCU (and maybe Monica Rambeau down the line). Sam is more the man of the people and it would be great to see how he handles being an icon of the black community. We already see his struggle of taking up the mantle of the red white and blue.

As for Bucky there are so many different areas they can go into. Mental detox from his Winter Soldier demons. His loss of his best bud, the real Cap. His man out of time routine being the guy from a different era. As a comic book nerd I never read too much of the Cap America stories so I don't know too much about these characters. Which is why its all a bit fresh for me and still keeps me interested. Hopefully the show can turn it around some.

This ties into a future series/movie, concerning the Avengers

Spoiler

I actually went and looked - between End Game, WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, the upcoming Hawkeye TV series, and the new Doctor Strange movie, they have directly name-dropped 6 of the "Young Avengers".  That's not a coincidence.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

He kinda looked like that in the scene he first appeared in as Captain America. I remember thinking "was that the weird old man from the Six Flags commercial?"

Goofy looking dude.

his face does not work with the mask and chinstrap.  cgi that shit to make it look non-scrunched up.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, F250 said:

He kinda looked like that in the scene he first appeared in as Captain America. I remember thinking "was that the weird old man from the Six Flags commercial?"

Goofy looking dude.

31 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

his face does not work with the mask and chinstrap.  cgi that shit to make it look non-scrunched up.

It's Marvel, really think they deliberately made him look goofy just to make viewers take a disliking to him from the start.

• Hook 'Em 1