The Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+

mdmost

I thought the beginning was dopey and the whole thing to be sappy as crap. That said, we got 2 awesome characters to take forward in Zemo was a home run and US agent origin was cool and that guy nailed that character. Hopefully we can retire the Bucky and Sam ship after the boat and Krawfish montage.

Kylie Morganthal was the least charismatic and wooden baddie, she was hard to look at, and her fight scenes forced you to suspend disbelief farther than most of the fantastical comic book scenes asked us to. She just 100% didn’t work and Sam being sympathetic was forced and rushed.

Also the “accidentally caught on air the huge end political speech” by Sam, and having all the kids in the bed watching and bikers at the bar watching— I thought I was watching Elf there for a second and they were going to have to sing in unison. Super saccharine and not even remotely poignant.

That said, the Isaiah Bradley arc worked for me and I thought the most powerful moment of this episode was the end when he sees his statue. There was a real tangible optimism vs. pessimism and cynical vs. idealist journey from when he was introduced and I thought it was the only real and substantial conflict that this show was able to take on and do justice, no pun intended. And I think that has a lot to do with that actor as well; he was nails in that role and played it powerfully.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Kylie Morganthal was the least charismatic and wooden baddie, she was hard to look at, and her fight scenes forced you to suspend disbelief farther than most of the fantastical comic book scenes asked us to. She just 100% didn’t work and Sam being sympathetic was forced and rushed.

Hard to look at? Interesting. Now I like redheads like Vic likes fat women, but it took a few eps for her looks to grow on me. She’s always striking in looks, but it takes a bit to see her as attractive.

39 minutes ago, Apep said:

Hard to look at? Interesting. Now I like redheads like Vic likes fat women, but it took a few eps for her looks to grow on me. She’s always striking in looks, but it takes a bit to see her as attractive.

Not my style I guess, but hey, there is a lid for every pot.

12 hours ago, Apep said:

She looked like Blake Griffin’s brother in drag 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/23/2021 at 7:57 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

I has disappoint.  Not sure why, but Carter as big bad is an eye roll. 

theory. too lazy to find the article

Spoiler

there's an article who posits the theory that sharon is a Skrull clone. this sets up nicely to the rumored next phase "Secret Invasion". also that the the people on the end of the phone are other Skrulls. kinda makes sense.

Edited by crash_davis

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Hide contents

there's an article who posits the theory that sharon is a Skrull clone. this sets up nicely to the rumored next phase "Secret Invasion". also that the the people on the end of the phone are other Skrulls. kinda makes sense.

Spoiler

That’s not a rumor anymore, right?  The press release for Emile (queen of dragons) was that she was going to be a part of the secret wars 

19 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:
  Hide contents

That’s not a rumor anymore, right?  The press release for Emile (queen of dragons) was that she was going to be a part of the secret wars 

Spoiler

You're prob right. I hadn't kept up with next phase MCU stuff. but yea I don't see marvel making the niece of Captain America's sweetheart a willing bad guy. i can see this adding more oomph to the direness of the skrull invasion. who's real? if they couldn't tell who was hydra before, how will they know who's real when the skrulls start copying the real person.

Spoiler

Wouldn’t Skrulls already have space tech and weapons? Why do they need anything earth can offer?

11 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Wouldn’t Skrulls already have space tech and weapons? Why do they need anything earth can offer?

This is why I'm hoping it's Sharon, and that she's calling Justin Hammer.

But if it's Skrulls, maybe they are looking at trying to get a bunch of groups well-armed with the best Earth has to offer, and/or under their control, without it overtly being Skrulls (using Skrull technology), except the Skull/Secret Invasion series won't be filming until later this year, and it's 6 episodes.

I don't know if this is reflected in the comics, but pretty cool how much they've put into these characters.

Meanwhile, DC is stumbling around like a drunken idiot who can't remember who he is.

Official poster:

Ez6aduZXMAg0F2r?format=jpg&name=large

The only surprising thing that has happened with all of this, is how comics book-accurate the new Captain America costume is.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Costume is horrible (sorry not a comics guy).

Why does it have to stop at his forehead like that leaving his dome exposed?? 

Finale was good but not bad ass.  Something seemed missing, but guess that was bc covid and they maybe shortened somethings.  

They really focused on the characters and their personal stories...which is cool, but just a lil too much sappy stuff.  

Hoping for some legit villains in the next season.  The kind the good guys really want to fight and stop.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Costume is horrible (sorry not a comics guy).

agreed.  Still think it should've been an energy suit like Black Panther to put him on equal footing with enhanced beings.  That suit doesn't do shit.  I guess it could've been a budget decision for the production or maybe Wakanda is in a recession.

• Hook 'Em 1

What a letdown after Wandavision. Actually the ending of Wandavision was a letdown from the buildup of Wandavision.

You know you're in trouble when John Walker and Zemo are more interesting and watchable than your two leads. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 9:41 AM, utxmike05 said:

Finale was good but not bad ass.  Something seemed missing...

I think one thing that was definitely a letdown was the costume, and I don’t mean the esthetics. It came in a mysterious box from Wakanda...and it doesn’t have any fucking superpowers. Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

You know you're in trouble when John Walker and Zemo are more interesting and watchable than your two leads. 

Yep. The two leads having terrible/predictable chemistry from the very first episode was a bad sign.

John Walker and Zemo were easily the two most interesting characters
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, XYZ said:

I think one thing that was definitely a letdown was the costume, and I don’t mean the esthetics. It came in a mysterious box from Wakanda...and it doesn’t have any fucking superpowers. Fuck that.

He's a poor man's Iron Man now.  Really wish he would have gotten the serum.

10 hours ago, XYZ said:

Made out of Vibranium so it's super strong and durable.  A helicopter fell on his wings and bounced off.

6 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Series was a very solid meh.  

Have to agree.  I really wanted to like it but it was so disjointed, as noted, the leads weren't written well or given much to do.  Particularly disappointing was how they dealt with Bucky and impotent he is now.  He has super soldier abilities, he's highly trained in martial arts, combat training, weaponry, killing techniques, demolitions, acrobatics and he has a fucking vibranium arm and he's reduced to riding around on a motorcycle.  This series was actually below meh.  It sort of sucked.  It had its moments, but overall, it was extremely weak.

• Hook 'Em 1

Particularly disappointing was how they dealt with Bucky and impotent he is now.  He has super soldier abilities, he's highly trained in martial arts, combat training, weaponry, killing techniques, demolitions, acrobatics and he has a fucking vibranium arm and he's reduced to riding around on a motorcycle. 

Well, they can’t have the guy who had the exact same Super soldier abilities as Captain America team up with the cosplay Captain America and do all the Captain America super hero shit while cosplay Captain America tries not to die while hiding behind his big bird wings.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This show sucked. You could tell that it was going to suck within 5 minutes. I complain all the time about being tired of watching dudes in spandex and cgi fighting. There are a million better options on any number of apps. Yet, I watched every episode, usually within a day or two of airing.

Congratulations Marvel. You've cornered the market on stupid, familiar, easily digestible, bright and sparkly trite for people too lazy to scroll through their dozen apps to find something new and legitimately good.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Congratulations Marvel. You've cornered the market on stupid, familiar, easily digestible, bright and sparkly trite for people too lazy to scroll through their dozen apps to find something new and legitimately good.

Have I got just the show for you

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/3409-letterkenny/

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 7:57 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

I has disappoint.  Not sure why, but Carter as big bad is an eye roll. 

She was a surprise bad in the comics as a hydra plant.  At the end of Civil War, she shot the shit outta Cap in the gut as he was getting walked up the steps to jail.  Like the Winter soldier, she blanked out after getting a secret message spoken to her, and did the deed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Liked it. You guys think too much.

Okay, I’ll agree some of the dialogue was slow and clunky, but we had a mother fucking montage! I had the montage song from Team America in my head the whole time.

The only plot piece that I just didn’t get was how an Avenger is poor, too poor to fix a fucking fishing boat. I wouldn’t expect a full on marketing department like The Boys, but the government or SHIELD or whoever runs the Avengers these days surely pay well. Or they could easily write books, or do commercials, anything really. They’re fucking famous. Last ditch desperation he could have done a Johnny Football autograph session at the local mall to fix the boat.

Didn’t really bother me though, just an observation. I’m glad I’m not big on Reddit and the far reaches of the internet, I’m sure they’re having a field day on “wokeness” and whatever other pejoratives they have about a Black Cap and the Tuskegee parallels. I thoroughly enjoyed those parts, even if the dialogue was clunky at times. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1