Experience with Energy Ogre...

Picking up where the old thread left off...

My 12-month contract with Breeze Energy is ending soon. Just got an email from Energy Ogre that they switched me to a new 12-month plan with OurEnergy. Plan name: Our Fixall Advantage Plus Plan. Plan Details: $5.99/month fee; $0.089/kWh energy charge which includes CenterPoint distribution charges.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Like 1

That Our Energy plan is indeed the current cheapest in the Centerpoint service area for homes with average usages over ~1600 kWh/month. It's listed on PowerToChoose, and you could have saved $110/year finding it yourself with TexasPowerGuide's RateGrinder tool.

I am a huge EnergyOgre fan.  I was on the same Breeze plan and expires in May, guess I will probably get what you are looking at.  My house would have 400-500 a month summer bill, that went down to 240 max last year. Sure I could have  found the plan on my own, guess I should have. 

16 hours ago, xoringe said:

That Our Energy plan is indeed the current cheapest in the Centerpoint service area for homes with average usages over ~1600 kWh/month. It's listed on PowerToChoose, and you could have saved $110/year finding it yourself with TexasPowerGuide's RateGrinder tool.

This is true. I just entered in my prior 12 months of usage, which averaged 2,905 kWh per month. Our Energy topped the list as the lowest price. Things I really liked about rate grinder:

1. I actually only had to enter one month of usage to hit on Our Energy. As soon as I entered one month, the tool estimated my usage for the remaining 11 months. I went ahead and entered my data for the other 11 months, just in case, but the result remained the same.

2. Rate Grinder showed me a whole list of providers sorted by price. The list shows the amount of renewables in each REP’s offering, which is nice. Breeze (100% renewable) was only a few notches down from Our Energy at price only $0.004 higher than Our Energy (14% renewable). If anyone had asked me I’d probably have agreed to the Breeze premium to stay 100% renewable. Ogre just switched me to the cheapest.

In the end, I paid Energy Ogre $120 vs. $10 for Rate Grinder. For my extra $110, Energy Ogre monitored my prior usage and did the analysis automatically. I’m guessing I could have found that data on Breeze’s website, but I’d have to find it myself. Energy Ogre also tracked the expiration of my prior contract, although I received emails from Breeze saying my contract was expiring, so it wasn’t a surprise. Energy Ogre switched me automatically to Our Energy, including setting me up for auto pay. Of course, a 10-12 minute phone call from me could have done the same thing.

Was the service worth the extra $110? For me? Yes. YMMV. I’m a fan of outsourcing. I’m lazy. I’m also a world champion procrastinator, so who knows if I would have actually done anything on my own. A final benefit for Energy Ogre is they claim to continually monitor my usage vs REP offerings over the next 12 months. They claim they will automatically switch me again if they find a plan cheap enough to warrant paying my $200 termination fee to Our Energy. They have never done that to me in the past, but it’s out there. 

One more thing, Power To Coose is worthless. 

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

On 4/28/2018 at 10:04 AM, Bernard said:

Picking up where the old thread left off...

My 12-month contract with Breeze Energy is ending soon. Just got an email from Energy Ogre that they switched me to a new 12-month plan with OurEnergy. Plan name: Our Fixall Advantage Plus Plan. Plan Details: $5.99/month fee; $0.089/kWh energy charge which includes CenterPoint distribution charges.

Bernard

Found the same plan for which took about 15 minutes of my time.   Rate Grinder was free to help me analyze other plans. Less than 5 minutes to switch via a web form.

Energy ogre sounds like they hit on a decent business plan to earn $120 for next to no work.    

And agree that power to choose is worthless.  And in fact it’s worse that worthless since  they allow the providers to work the system to screw people over.  Sure, if your usage is exactly 500, 1000 or 2000 you will get the posted rates.  But many times 999 or 1001 watts usage will be double what 1000 is.  

• Like 1

I agree that $110 extra cost for Energy Ogre may or may not be worth it depending on the individual.

Also, I was just checking out the Rate Grinder site and noticed that, similar to Energy Ogre, they have a system to automatically alert you if rates drop over the term of your contract such that it’s worth your while to pay a termination fee and switch. 

Bernard

I would be curious how many people ever would save enough to pay a cancellation fee after selecting a good plan.   I suppose if a company offered an incredible promo deal, you could create that situation.  And I’m sure Energy ogre wants to switch people when possible to show their value but it’s seems unlikely to occur for an existing customer.  

Btw, I think there is a need for a company like Energy ogre because many many people are getting ripped off by energy companies with complicated energy plans. You practically have to build a spreadsheet to decipher them and understand what you will most likely pay.    But most people don’t realize this so they won’t pay Energy ogre.   

3 hours ago, Bernard said:

I’m a big fan of deregulation, but something should be done about all the gimmicky plans out there specifically designed to mislead the consumer.

Bernard

I’m know  Abbott isnt Governor Consumer Protection but the energy companies should not hide behind complicated formulas. Now we all know about that consumers should be wary of all purchases but they use Power to choose.org to confuse people. I don’t think that was the point of the website. 

Energy Ogre also get paid a commission each month by the energy company.  Usually around $.003 x your usage.  Energy Ogre will only give you rates of companies that have agreed to pay them commission.  Some REP’s will not pay residential commissions to brokers and the brokers will not recommend them to their clients.  

On 4/29/2018 at 12:58 PM, Bernard said:

I agree that $110 extra cost for Energy Ogre may or may not be worth it depending on the individual.

Also, I was just checking out the Rate Grinder site and noticed that, similar to Energy Ogre, they have a system to automatically alert you if rates drop over the term of your contract such that it’s worth your while to pay a termination fee and switch. 

Bernard

For me, Energy Ogre is worth it because I'm lazy.  I'll pay a $10/mo penalty for not having to fuck with it- and the savings pay for Ogre in one summer month easy.  But if I'm not actually getting the best price, but instead just the best price of the companies they're affiliated with, I'll switch.  I've heard some things about 34energy.com, run by a guy who used to be the VP at Ogre.  May check that out.

2 hours ago, Chicken fried bacon said:

Energy Ogre also get paid a commission each month by the energy company.  Usually around $.003 x your usage.  Energy Ogre will only give you rates of companies that have agreed to pay them commission.  Some REP’s will not pay residential commissions to brokers and the brokers will not recommend them to their clients.  

One of the founders of Breeze Energy joined Shaggy last year and specifically stated that your assertion is bullshit. Did you read the part above where Texas Power Guide confirmed that the plan Energy Ogre switched me to was indeed the lowest cost provider available for my level of usage?

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

On 4/30/2018 at 2:58 PM, Bernard said:

One of the founders of Breeze Energy joined Shaggy last year and specifically stated that your assertion is bullshit. Did you read the part above where Texas Power Guide confirmed that the plan Energy Ogre switched me to was indeed the lowest cost provider available for my level of usage?

Bernard

I work for an energy company and I am correct.  

7 hours ago, Chicken fried bacon said:

I work for an energy company and I am correct.  

Do you work for Energy Ogre or Breeze Energy? How do you know the specifics of their arrangements? Not that it matters. Your implication was that Energy Ogre wouldn’t find me the lowest cost plan due to fee arrangements, but a third party REP analysis site confirmed there’s no cheaper plan out there for me than the one to which  Energy Ogre enrolled me.  If you think there’s some cheaper plan out there, please chime in. 

One of the two Breeze Energy founders is a Texas Ex and a friend of a Shagster. Not sure what possible benefit he’d have to join Shaggy and chime in on the old Energy Ogre thread to counter similar assertions about Energy Ogre. If you have any specifics you can share other than “I am correct”, I’m all ears. 

Bernard

19 hours ago, Bernard said:

Do you work for Energy Ogre or Breeze Energy? How do you know the specifics of their arrangements? Not that it matters. Your implication was that Energy Ogre wouldn’t find me the lowest cost plan due to fee arrangements, but a third party REP analysis site confirmed there’s no cheaper plan out there for me than the one to which  Energy Ogre enrolled me.  If you think there’s some cheaper plan out there, please chime in. 

One of the two Breeze Energy founders is a Texas Ex and a friend of a Shagster. Not sure what possible benefit he’d have to join Shaggy and chime in on the old Energy Ogre thread to counter similar assertions about Energy Ogre. If you have any specifics you can share other than “I am correct”, I’m all ears. 

Bernard

I don't know nothing 'bout nothing, but isn't it possible that the best plan just happens to be with a company that plays along with Energy Ogre?  If half of the companies play along, you should get the lowest cost plan about half the time, right?

On 5/3/2018 at 8:41 PM, Bernard said:

Bernard

Actually, the aggy co-founder is one of my really good friends. He's the one that hopped on the Shag last year and contributed to our discussion. I believe he said Breeze does *NOT* pay commissions to Energy Ogre or anybody else but he couldn't say other companies didn't do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Article stating that consumers in the regulated energy markets in Texas pay less than those in unregulated areas:  https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Want-cheap-electricity-Move-to-San-Antonio-or-12926241.php?ipid=hpctp

However they state that the unregulated consumers could find cheaper electricity if they did their homework.   From the last several times I've switched energy contracts, I find the plans to be more and more complicated and extremely difficult to estimate without analyzing usage month-by-month.   Some of the energy companies are bordering on questionable business practices to blatantly deceive their customers.  

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I just tried the tool (zip 77546 - TNMP), but:

It's weak tech. They're focused only on Oncor and Centerpoint tdsps. TNMP is harder to map, so it looks like they just said "fuck it". I was part of the first online mapping of the tdsp market in Texas for ecommerce purposes and I can tell you with certainty that the TNMP footprint is a bitch and all of the mapping needs to be done at a 9 digit zip level. If they're not taking the mapping to 9 digits and sticking at 5, they'll have conflicted zips that share two tdsps and you'll see bullshit like what you referenced pop up.

Also, to the others swearing by Breeze Energy and the honesty of their aggie chief, LOL given today's news. 

Also also, Chicken Fried Bacon is correct in how the compensation schemes work between EO and REPs.

On 4/28/2018 at 10:04 AM, Bernard said:

... OurEnergy. Plan name: Our Fixall Advantage Plus Plan. Plan Details: $5.99/month fee; $0.089/kWh energy charge ...

FYI, they don't offer that plan any more.  Apparently they discontinued it a little over a week ago.

Looks like Breeze Energy is kaput. As noted above, Energy Ogre just switched me to another provider, but my mom still uses Breeze. This email hit her Inbox today from the PUC:

Date: May 31, 2018 at 2:54:49 PM CDT
Subject: Important Notice Concerning Your Electric Service

This notice is from the Public Utility Commission of Texas.

Your current retail electric provider BREEZE LLC left the Texas Market. To ensure your continuous electric service, your account is being transferred to RELIANT ENERGY RETAIL.

Your service with RELIANT ENERGY RETAIL will begin on 6/1/2018. RELIANT ENERGY RETAIL will provide you with additional information concerning your electric account, and will be sending you your new bill. You may contact RELIANT ENERGY RETAIL at 800-753-4898, toll free.

If you are a low income customer, ask your new REP if there are deposit assistance funds available and how you may qualify.

Your former retail electric provider BREEZE LLC may be reached at 855-750-5556, toll free.

More important information for customers is available at the Commission website, at: www.puc.state.tx.us/consumer/facts/factsheets/elecfacts/POLR.pdf

You may select another Retail Electric Provider from providers listed at www.powertochoo se.org

This email is auto-generated, please do not respond to this email.

No idea if Reliant is going to honor the Breeze contract terms. Something tells me the answer is no.

Bernard

The link in the above post answered my question: 

The rate offered by the POLR can be much higher than standard retail offers and can be tied to wholesale energy costs. POLRs may offer customers alternative rate packages, so customers should ask their POLR about such offers.

Time to start shopping.

Bernard

To be clear, fly by nights like "Our Energy" aren't going to change the risk. You want to be with a REP that is funded or mature or both. These guys out there hanging by a thread are in deep shit this summer, due to the weather forecast, generation scarcity, and the real time price blowout this past weekend driving up near term pricing to mitigate unhedged load. 

This is where playing only on price fucks you guys making decisions solely on that basis. The lowest price is inevitably going to be the guy with nothing else to offer as a differentiator, so they're going to be almost always unknown and largely untested or clueless. You pay a premium for brands with everything you buy, and for good reason. 

I'm going to come back here later this summer for grins and see how "Our Energy" fares and whoever Bernard picks for his mother.

I'm curious about that too, Close.

To date, OE has signed me up with: Pennywise Power (still in business); Star Tex Energy (sold to Constellation); Reliant (still in business); Breeze (lasted through my contract, but now gone); and Our Energy (jury is still out). I guess another benefit of OE that I hadn't even considered was the fact they they'll automatically switch me to a new REP if mine goes BK.

Maybe the Breeze founder can chime in again about what happened to them. Did the very recent switch of me (and who knows how many other OE customers) to Our Energy put them out of business?

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

4 minutes ago, Bernard said:

I'm curious about that too, Close.

To date, OE has signed me up with: Pennywise Power (still in business); Star Tex Energy (sold to Constellation); Reliant (still in business); Breeze (lasted through my contract, but now gone); and Our Energy (jury is still out). I guess another benefit of OE that I hadn't even considered was the fact they they'll automatically switch me to a new REP if mine goes BK.

Maybe the Breeze founder can chime in again about what happened to them. Did the very recent switch of me (and who knows how many other OE customers) to Our Energy put them out of business?

Bernard

Pennywise is and always has been owned directly by NRG, who also owns Reliant. Almost no failure risk on that one. The real risks have come as the guys with nothing else to offer have used price as their sole sales technique and Energy Ogre has chosen to carry those offers. Like I said, there's more to any buying decision than just price, even if the buyer doesn't always understand that.

What happened to Breeze is that they weren't hedged properly and had a margin call from ERCOT to cover a gap in the exposure they had to the power pool and they couldn't make the margin call. ERCOT then collapsed on their business and they're moving the book to POLR. I'm fairly certain we'll see this again later this summer if the heat wave being forecasted comes to fruition. 

I'm guessing Breeze Aggie has some bigger problems they're working on right now. I don't envy those cats at Breeze one bit right now.

The real risks have come as the guys with nothing else to offer have used price as their sole sales technique and Energy Ogre has chosen to carry those offers. Like I said, there's more to any buying decision than just price, even if the buyer doesn't always understand that.

Default risk is real, but the consequences are seemingly minor, and certainly hard to quantify. Yes, I have to find a new REP. Yes, rates may have increased since choosing the cheapest REP and now I have to pay more to the new cheapest provider. How much extra should one pay to avoid those risks?

Electrons jiggling on a wire are the ultimate commodity product.

I just signed up at Awesome Power .com to see what they have to offer. Awaiting their email now.

Bernard

5 hours ago, bernorange said:

I just tried the tool (zip 77546 - TNMP), but:

Unfortunately, it’s a limitation of the extra bandwidth needed to track ~50% more retailer plans. Hope to support TNMP in the future though.

Texas Power Guide's Rate Grinder Tool is suggesting the following based on the single data point (731 kWh usage in April) I have for my mom's account:

Express Energy
Express Energy Quick 12 Plan
Charge if you use at least 1 kWh: $31 per billing cycle
Additional charge if you use at least 1001 kWh: $94 per billing cycle
Additional charge if you use more than 1000 kWh: 12.50¢ per kWh in excess of 1000 kWh
Estimated annual average rate: $0.091 per kWh.

I probably should find out the actual usage for the other 11 months. Rate Grinder predicts she'll pay $31/month for 6 of the next 12 months. She has electric heat though, so her usage may be higher in the winter than the model predicts.

Bernard

15 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Default risk is real, but the consequences are seemingly minor, and certainly hard to quantify. Yes, I have to find a new REP. Yes, rates may have increased since choosing the cheapest REP and now I have to pay more to the new cheapest provider. How much extra should one pay to avoid those risks?

Electrons jiggling on a wire are the ultimate commodity product.

I just signed up at Awesome Power .com to see what they have to offer. Awaiting their email now.

Bernard

I predict they’ll say Spark Instant Plus 12 (avg 10.2 c/kWh for your usage) or 4Change Budget Saver 12 (10.3 c/kWh). They probably won’t include Pennywise Wise Buy 3 (8.9c/kWh), which isn’t listed on PTC but is only for 3-months (somewhat risky).

3 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Texas Power Guide's Rate Grinder Tool is suggesting the following based on the single data point (731 kWh usage in April) I have for my mom's account:

Express Energy
Express Energy Quick 12 Plan
Charge if you use at least 1 kWh: $31 per billing cycle
Additional charge if you use at least 1001 kWh: $94 per billing cycle
Additional charge if you use more than 1000 kWh: 12.50¢ per kWh in excess of 1000 kWh
Estimated annual average rate: $0.091 per kWh.

I probably should find out the actual usage for the other 11 months. Rate Grinder predicts she'll pay $31/month for 6 of the next 12 months. She has electric heat though, so her usage may be higher in the winter than the model predicts.

Bernard

With electric heat, you should definitely plug in at least a couple more months (like Aug and January) to be safe.

Saw a post in one of the Park Cities neighborhood groups about warnings of rolling brown outs in the coming weeks in Texas with the temps and tips in how to curb or eliminate them -- things along the lines if everybody kept their thermostats 1-2 degrees higher than normal, turning it up when you leave, etc, making a huge difference. Any of this related?

4 hours ago, Bernard said:

Looks like Breeze Energy is kaput. As noted above, Energy Ogre just switched me to another provider, but my mom still uses Breeze. This email hit her Inbox today from the PUC:

Date: May 31, 2018 at 2:54:49 PM CDT
Subject: Important Notice Concerning Your Electric Service

This notice is from the Public Utility Commission of Texas.

Your current retail electric provider BREEZE LLC left the Texas Market. To ensure your continuous electric service, your account is being transferred to RELIANT ENERGY RETAIL.

Your service with RELIANT ENERGY RETAIL will begin on 6/1/2018. RELIANT ENERGY RETAIL will provide you with additional information concerning your electric account, and will be sending you your new bill. You may contact RELIANT ENERGY RETAIL at 800-753-4898, toll free.

If you are a low income customer, ask your new REP if there are deposit assistance funds available and how you may qualify.

Your former retail electric provider BREEZE LLC may be reached at 855-750-5556, toll free.

More important information for customers is available at the Commission website, at: www.puc.state.tx.us/consumer/facts/factsheets/elecfacts/POLR.pdf

You may select another Retail Electric Provider from providers listed at www.powertochoo se.org

This email is auto-generated, please do not respond to this email.

No idea if Reliant is going to honor the Breeze contract terms. Something tells me the answer is no.

Bernard

I was rolled to TXU for the Last Resort option. Uh, no thanks. I moved over to a month-to-month Reliant plan with no termination fee at around 10 cents per kWh until I get a better idea of where to go on this.

35 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I was rolled to TXU for the Last Resort option. Uh, no thanks. I moved over to a month-to-month Reliant plan with no termination fee at around 10 cents per kWh until I get a better idea of where to go on this.

Don't wait long to find something else. The fine print on no-contract Reliant plans generally says the EFL price only applies for the first billing cycle, which could be as short as one day. After that, look to their historical pricing web page for an idea of what it will cost --- lately 16 - 18 c/kWh depending which one you got.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Saw a post in one of the Park Cities neighborhood groups about warnings of rolling brown outs in the coming weeks in Texas with the temps and tips in how to curb or eliminate them -- things along the lines if everybody kept their thermostats 1-2 degrees higher than normal, turning it up when you leave, etc, making a huge difference. Any of this related?

Not related. Breeze is a REP. They don’t own generation assets. They buy wholesale and sell retail. It seems they were not doing it profitably. 

Bernard

6 hours ago, Bernard said:

Not related. Breeze is a REP. They don’t own generation assets. They buy wholesale and sell retail. It seems they were not doing it profitably. 

Bernard

It's related, except Breeze is the effect, not the cause. Vistra aka TXU closed a few coal plants in January. Without those plants, forecasts predict summertime capacity could be very tight, which has caused wholesale price forecasts to ramp up ever since. Breeze didn't budget enough of a rainy day (i.e. sunny day) fund to continue fulfilling their discount-rate retail customer contracts, so they became the first victim.

People who keep their houses at 72 whether they are there or not make me surly. First, there's the whole waste part of it when they're cooling the house to no one's benefit, second, there's the absurdity of sleeping under a heavy blanket in Texas in July.

Petergrindsmygears.jpg

4 hours ago, xoringe said:

It's related, except Breeze is the effect, not the cause. Vistra aka TXU closed a few coal plants in January. Without those plants, forecasts predict summertime capacity could be very tight, which has caused wholesale price forecasts to ramp up ever since. Breeze didn't budget enough of a rainy day (i.e. sunny day) fund to continue fulfilling their discount-rate retail customer contracts, so they became the first victim.

True that. Tight supply could cause high prices and BK a REP. I was thought you meant the other way around, as in Breeze BK causing limited supply leading to brownouts. 

Bernard

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

People who keep their houses at 72 whether they are there or not make me surly. First, there's the whole waste part of it when they're cooling the house to no one's benefit, second, there's the absurdity of sleeping under a heavy blanket in Texas in July.

Petergrindsmygears.jpg

You need a heavy blanket for 72 degrees? Are you a chick? 

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

You need a heavy blanket for 72 degrees? Are you a chick? 

yes.  i am a well known cold bitch.  just drove around with the windows down in 93° heat to warm up.  still absurd to cool your house so much you  have to sleep under more than a sheet. in texas.  in july.