Pelicans v Warriors

Chapo

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

KD and Steph leading a big rally to pull away.... Cans are game, they’re just not good enough.  

I wonder if Big Boogie on the inside with The Brow would have had a opposite outcome..? I think the Warriors are kind of weak inside...

2 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I wonder if Big Boogie on the inside with The Brow would have had a opposite outcome..? I think the Warriors are kind of weak inside...

No. Also, hell no. Take away all the defense and hustle New Orleans has displayed this postseason, and add a slow, lazy player that Golden State would have run literal circles around.

37 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

The Pelicans lost every game against the Warriors that Boogie and Brow started during the regular season. There were 3 losses by 8, 9, and 10 points.

EDIT: http://www.landofbasketball.com/head_to_head_gl/warriors_vs_pelicans_game_log_season.htm

Edited by UDontKnow
Source provided

52 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

Rondo is one of the best floor generals i've ever seen.   NO could have been up had AD not slipped on that one possession and on another possesion iggy knocked the dribble away as a NO player was about to score.  With Cousins, who knows about the series, probably 7. 

I don’t think they get better/more competitive with Cousins.

35 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

No. Also, hell no. Take away all the defense and hustle New Orleans has displayed this postseason, and add a slow, lazy player that Golden State would have run literal circles around.

Ok, I had not kept track of their earlier meetings this year...

35 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The Pelicans lost every game against the Warriors that Boogie and Brow started during the regular season. There were 3 losses by 8, 9, and 10 points.

EDIT: http://www.landofbasketball.com/head_to_head_gl/warriors_vs_pelicans_game_log_season.htm

Thanks for the stats..! 

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

IMO, they shouldn't re-sign Boogie. Big lineup of Mirotic and Brow worked much better for them.

Unfortunately, even if they don't re-sign Boogie, it doesn't open up any cap space to sign an actual wing or anything.

Their best bet is to sign Boogie to a short-term moveable contract. Then, if it isn't working, trade him for pieces.

How Boogie will respond to being offered a "prove it" contract instead of the max is another story...

12 hours ago, kopp0e said:

2 years ago, bruising inside play is what pushed the warriors to the brink against OKC.  But that was before KD.  I don't think boogie would have mattered that much, maybe 1 more win.  As I said earlier in the thread, watching these games just kinda shows that the pelicans' ceiling is right about the floor or just above the floor of the warriors.  It also seems the same with the cavs/raptors (though nobody doubted that).

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I just read an article on The Ringer mentioning a sign and trade swapping Boogie with Otto Porter. That makes a lot of sense on both sides.

Would Oklahoma City make it farther in the playoffs with a lineup of Russ/ PG/ Adams/ Boogie & Grant..?

My suggestion: trade an aging outside shooter (Melo), for an athlete that is somewhat defensively deficient (Boogie)...

Maybe I'm missing the joke?  No team is taking on Melo's contract.  Shit, most teams wouldn't take Melo for free right now.  Boogie is an UFA.  If New Orleans doesn't want to pay Boogie--and nothing looks appealing as a sign and trade--then they just won't sign him.  No need to take on a bad contract and a completely delusional talent.

7 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Would Oklahoma City make it farther in the playoffs with a lineup of Russ/ PG/ Adams/ Boogie & Grant..?

My suggestion: trade an aging outside shooter (Melo), for an athlete that is somewhat defensively deficient (Boogie)...

giphy.gif

Maybe a double S&T of George for Boogie, but even that has about a 2% chance of happening.....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Maybe I'm missing the joke?  No team is taking on Melo's contract.  Shit, most teams wouldn't take Melo for free right now.  Boogie is an UFA.  If New Orleans doesn't want to pay Boogie--and nothing looks appealing as a sign and trade--then they just won't sign him.  No need to take on a bad contract and a completely delusional talent.

Yeah, it was basically a joke... (Unless that is New Orleans will take a player past his prime that won't come off the bench...) What NBA team would pass on that incredible deal..?

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

giphy.gif

Maybe a double S&T of George for Boogie, but even that has about a 2% chance of happening.....

That would bring the lulz. Melo, Russ, boogie. All on one team. They would probably get in fist fights on the court because they can’t decide who gets to shoot. 

The thunder’s best play is probably to create havoc with melo. He already said he won’t come off the bench. So bench him. He doesn’t want to go in then that’s his problem. He will either sit all year and kill himself for any future contract (his last 2 years will be just worst ever year followed up with effectively being out of the league) or he will ask for a buyout or something. The thunder basically have to make the situation so untenable that he wants out or they can suspend him for conduct or something to keep him away. Then he just might go away at a discount. Otherwise just pay him to stay away. 

Edited by Jhawk

9 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

That would bring the lulz. Melo, Russ, boogie. All on one team. They would probably get in fist fights on the court because they can’t decide who gets to shoot. 

The thunder’s best play is probably to create havoc with melo. He already said he won’t come off the bench. So bench him. He doesn’t want to go in then that’s his problem. He will either sit all year and kill himself for any future contract (his last 2 years will be just worst ever year followed up with effectively being out of the league) or he will ask for a buyout or something. The thunder basically have to make the situation so untenable that he wants out or they can suspend him for conduct or something to keep him away. Then he just might go away at a discount. Otherwise just pay him to stay away. 

The issue is that takes time so you'd probably be effectively giving up on next year, which you may be already, but if George doesn't come back then you'd be resetting for 2019-20.  Westbrook will be 31 that season.  The best possible outcome is Melo sees he only has 1-2 years of relevance (and that's disputable) in the league and opts out to go chase a ring with Paul or Lebron.  I doubt he turns down the 28 million b/c frankly, it's probably his last big pay day....

100% agree. That is why I said the only hope is to torch the relationship with melo. That won’t go over well with players though because the players all love melo. But if they could torch the relationship and get him to take a lower buyout then maybe he’ll go or opt out. Maybe telling him he is going to be benched all year will get him to opt out or take a small buyout of like $10mm and go get a contract with someone else for 2-3 years. His other option in that scenario is for 2017 to be his worst year ever and to spend 2018 away from the court. That would most likely end his career altogether. So take $28mm now and potentially never play again or take a lesser number and try to get 1-2 year deals in the $8-10mm range for another 3 years before being put out to pasture.

other than that the thunder have mortgaged their future for not a lot of return.