coffee / coffee makers

tx 3 putt

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So . . . McDonald's bought a specific amount of coffee?  If so, how long would that last?  Or did they buy some super secret Tim Horton process that can be produced inexpensively enough for them to care?

No, they took over from Tim Hortons' original supplier. The supplier who was sourcing. roasting, and shipping the beans for Tim Hortons is now sourcing, roasting and shipping beans for McDonald's instead.

Edited by Rimbo

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2024 at 12:02 PM, alphahydro said:

i think that's about right.

only thing i would add is i personally would pick this technique over french press or pour over, but it could be a matter of preference.   

the equipment you need is only $30 (plus filter paper, which isn't expensive). 

https://www.amazon.com/Dripper-servings-coffee-extract-dripper/dp/B07NS2SV3W?th=1

as i think about it, maybe better to start with french press, and then this would be something else to try next.  *shrug*

Is the zero setting on his hand grinder the finest possible grind setting?

On 4/17/2024 at 9:58 AM, CurlyDumps said:

Is the zero setting on his hand grinder the finest possible grind setting?

I assume so (?) 

I use this recipe every day and I never change my grind setting.  I do have two grinders and i swap between grinders and between the hario switch and the nextlevel pulsar depending on the roast level and what i am in the mood for, but i haven't bothered with my grind setting since i started using this recipe.   basically i have two grinders set at different grind settings and they're both fine, just different.  as long as your grind setting is reasonable, you can get great cups.  

one thing i have started changing is the ratio. 

i think he recommends 20:280 (and then he waters the coffee down if it's too strong.)

for me, depending on the roast/bean/grind setting, 280 can be really fruit forward and 340 is more chocolatey.  

i had the same beans yesterday and today, yesterday at 340 and today at 280 and both cups were great.  

that's the awesome thing about this recipe - i think it's mostly because you cool down the water in the second half of the pour - it's really hard to screw up the brew.  instead of making adjustments on a knife edge, you have a lot of latitude in brewing. 

(i started experimenting with ratio because on a really light roasted coffee that flows fast, 20:280 was pretty gnarly/overly bright.)

23 hours ago, Keef said:

I recently bought a NextLevel Pulsar brewer, and I couldn't be more pleased.  It's super easy to use and produces a really consistent, delicious cup.

seconded.  

it's a no brainer purchase for anyone doing pour overs, imo.  i don't mess with my v60s anymore.   and the pulsar is super easy for anyone doing french press who wants to try something new.

if you use that pulsar with that hybrid method in the video above and tweak the ratio of coffee to water as necessary, it's insanely easy to dial in with the pulsar.   frankly, i prefer that hybrid recipe to any of the recipes that came with the pulsar.  if you've found another good recipe for the pulsar, let me know. 

i have a hario switch that i got before the pulsar, and it brews a little differently.  

with the spigot wide open, the pulsar flows faster than the switch, and i think the pulsar does better with lighter roasts.  but with medium roasts/cheaper beans, i tend to prefer the switch.  i could probably get the pulsar to replicate the switch by messing with the spigot/flow rate, but i use both - in part to use up the hario filters. 

i should mention, both my grinders grind coffee in a way that water flows really quickly over the grinds, even when i grind really fine. 

so, following that hybrid recipe, my brews finish in like 2:15 instead of 3:00, even at really fine grind settings.  extending the coffee:water ratio might not be a good idea if your brews are taking a lot longer to finish. 

I was curious because that video got me thinking more about the "why" of different grind settings.  Before I stumbled onto this thread I ignorantly followed the general guidelines I'd heard (which also are apparently wrong) without a second thought. After upgrading my gear (Kalita Wave, new grinder) I grinded beans in the medium range (6-8) for pour over. Didn't like the results so I went back to my French Press. But after watching that video I tried the finest grind setting and it was a game changer. I've been using the Kalita Wave the last few months. Picked up a Hario Switch this week so I'll be experimenting with that.

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I knew. Hilarious that I used to think my $20 blade grinder, French press, and Starbucks beans qualified me as coffee snob.