Mavs stop playing anthem before games

Post Oak

It's interesting that it's only brought up now that they have played (checks notes) 13 home games so far:

None of 13 preseason and regular-season games played at the American Airlines Center this season have featured the anthem before the game, including Monday’s game against the Minnesota Timberwolves, the first played this season with a limited amount of fans in attendance.

The Mavericks did not publicize the anthem’s removal, and The Athletic was the first media organization to reach out about the change after noticing its absence on Monday. Multiple team employees described only noticing the anthem’s removal on their own, as it was also not announced or explained internally.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It's interesting that it's only brought up now that they have played (checks notes) 13 home games so far:

I could be wrong, but I think they just started allowing fans this week, so probably going to be noticed by John Q. Public soon.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It’s awesome.  Goes to show nobody really gives a shit - but just watch, it’s about to REALLY rub some people the wrong way...

31 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I've always enjoyed the anthem before games, so not really a fan of this. But it's altogether fitting with these times. Hell of a time to be alive. 

i love the anthem as much as any american, i reckon, but you know what liverpool fc plays before their games in the uk? you never walk alone. god save the queen is reserved for international matches. our masturbatory national anthem shit is stupid.

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s awesome.  Goes to show nobody really gives a shit - but just watch, it’s about to REALLY rub some people the wrong way...

and most people really wouldn't notice. look, i would sit in dkr and take off my hat and do all the right shit when they present the colors and do the anthem. but i'm much more about the eyes and texas fight at that moment, as is right. 

maybe for a national championship or a super bowl, i guess. before every game? fuck right off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My guess is that they ignore the national anthem when they’re watching a game at home and it’s playing on tv.

I hope so.  Anyone who stands up, removes his cap, and sings along with the anthem in his own home should be on multiple FBI watch lists.  Those are the people who stormed the Capitol carrying Trump flags.  Not ironic at all, is it?

My father will be out after this.  He won’t watch a single fucking game.  Had season tickets for 35 years.  Kept the season tickets through the 90’s.  Finally gave them up when no one wanted to split them in the mid-teens and they had become crazy expensive (lower level, mid court).   I just lost one of the last things I could actually have a decent conversation about with my father.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The national anthem allows people to display a fair amount of virtue signaling at sporting events. My guess is that they ignore the national anthem when they’re watching a game at home and it’s playing on tv.

Hell, half the rednecks I see complaining about it can't even take the time to remove their Carhart hats or stop walking/talking during the national anthem already. Now they're outraged.

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

My father will be out after this.  He won’t watch a single fucking game.  Had season tickets for 35 years.  Kept the season tickets through the 90’s.  Finally gave them up when no one wanted to split them in the mid-teens and they had become crazy expensive (lower level, mid court).   I just lost one of the last things I could actually have a decent conversation about with my father.

What was his position for the first 16 years of the team when they didn't play it?

Spoiler

They played God Bless America instead

Edited by RPM
accuracy

From last July:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29502673/mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-national-anthem-police-country-control

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban declared that the "National Anthem Police in this country are out of control," leading to a tense exchange on Twitter with Senator Ted Cruz, a Republican who represents Texas.

Cuban tweeted "Bye" on Sunday in response to a tweet from Mark Davis in which the Dallas-based conservative talk show host expressed enthusiasm about the Mavs but added that he would no longer be a fan "the minute one player kneels for the anthem." Davis also suggested that Cuban could help guide the Mavs and the NBA "to do whatever gesture they wish without insulting the nation."

Cuban elaborated on his thoughts in another tweet.

The National Anthem Police in this country are out of control. If you want to complain, complain to your boss and ask why they don't play the National Anthem every day before you start work. https://t.co/NUwv7asO44

— Mark Cuban (@mcuban) July 20, 2020

As he has in the past, President Donald Trump chimed in on the subject Tuesday morning on Twitter.

Looking forward to live sports, but any time I witness a player kneeling during the National Anthem, a sign of great disrespect for our Country and our Flag, the game is over for me!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 21, 2020

Spoiler

Cruz, who became a staunch supporter of President Trump after finishing as the runner-up for the Republican presidential nomination for the 2016 election, expressed outrage in a tweet Monday morning.

Cruz responded to Cuban by asking his thoughts on the NBA's relationship with China and took a dig at Cuban by asking if his players could use "Free Hong Kong" on their jerseys.

Cuban responded: "I can say Black Lives Matter. I can say there is systemic racism in this country. I can say there is a Pandemic that you have done little to end. I can say I care about this country first and last and.."

Cuban has voiced his support recently for the Black Lives Matter movement and made it clear that he will have no issue if Mavericks players choose to protest by kneeling during the national anthem.

"If they were taking a knee and they were being respectful, I'd be proud of them. Hopefully I'd join them," Cuban said during a June 18 appearance on ESPN's Outside the Lines.

NBA rules state that players and coaches must stand for the national anthem, but Cuban said he hopes the league can adapt and "allow players to do what's in their heart."

"Whether it's holding their arm up in the air, whether it's taking a knee, whatever it is, I don't think this is an issue of respect or disrespect to the flag or to the anthem or to our country," Cuban said. "I think this is more a reflection of our players' commitment to this country and the fact that it's so important to them that they're willing to say what's in their heart and do what they think is right.

"I'll defer to [commissioner] Adam [Silver] on any final judgments and [players' union executive director] Michele Roberts. But the reality is my hope is we'll let the players do exactly what they think is the right thing to do."

In 2017, Cuban voiced a different opinion after Trump criticized NFL players who kneeled during the anthem to protest social injustice and police brutality.

"This is America, and I'm proud of people who speak out civilly. That's who we are as a country," Cuban said at the time. "I'll be standing there with my hand over my heart. I think the players will be [standing]. I expect them to be."

Three years later, as the Black Lives Matter movement continues to grow following the death of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis, Cuban explained what has changed his mindset.

"Because I think we've learned a lot since 2017," he told OTL. "I think we've evolved as a country. And this is really a unique point in time where we can grow as a society, we can grow as a country and become far more inclusive and become far more aware of the challenges that minority communities go through.

"So I'll stand in unison with our players, whatever they choose to do. But again, when our players in the NBA do what's in their heart, when they do what they feel represents who they are and look to move this country forward when it comes to race relationships, I think that's a beautiful thing, and I'll be proud of them."

I say we do the La Marseillaise.  The French have the superior national anthem

Fa la la. To arms! To arms! la la la We are going to cut your fucking head off and water our fields with your guts! la la la France France Hooray!

Edited by BehoId, The Underminer!
"the La Marsillaise." very ATM machine, PIN number imo.
  • Hook 'Em 1