Mavs stop playing anthem before games

Post Oak

9 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

It should be played at national team games only. I like this

Yeah, that's a good point.  National Men's Soccer Team or Basketball team or Hockey team, et. al.  Definitely do it there.  If you're looking to regular season pro sporting events to mark your patriotism, you may not be as sharp as you think.  If you want to prove your patriotism, there are a 1000 other ways.  

3 hours ago, RPM said:

What was his position for the first 12 years of the team when they didn't play it?

Hide contents

They played God Bless America instead

It really doesn’t matter.  He has been informed by the Facebook that this should offend him, therefore he is offended.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It really doesn’t matter.  He has been informed by the Facebook that this should offend him, therefore he is offended.

I was wrong, it was 16 years. People have selective memory. The National Anthem was rarely shown on TV before 9/11. After that the DoD started paying the leagues to televise it. We've been programmed like Pavlov's dog.

• Hook 'Em 3

This bleeds into the larger topic of mundane nationalism/patriotism seen at events or in our daily lives.

A few years ago, before Kapernick, the topic of Jerry Jones charging for "troop honoring" at Cowboys games came up while I was on a four day camping/kayak fishing trip.  A few of the guys were enlisted vets and most of the rest are O & G guys in Houston, so despite being reasonable individuals otherwise there is definitely a "patriotic" lean to the group as a whole.

Of course, since I am from Austin, and prefer to hash out the where tos and why fors of such situations, I am generally labeled as a liberal hippy, all in good fun, of course.  I do need to put in gentle reminders that despite being from Austin, I was raised catholic, am a CPA, own a construction company, and was educated at that bastion of liberal free thinking that is the Red 'racist" McCombs School of Business with not just a BBA but an MPA as well.

My thesis started out by positing that, when it came to honoring the troops, that we perhaps had become fatigued by the whole thing.  After all, ever since 9/11 we have been on a non stop veneration of all things firefighter, first responder, cop,  military, and victorious dead, what with our endless wars on terror, drugs, and such.

I went on further, stating that in my many years as a musician in HS marching band, HS concert band, HS jazz band, various all-region , all -city,  All -state ensembles, Longhorn marching band, Longhorn jazz band, solo performances, and numerous professional gigs, that I had played the national anthem over a thousand times and that  by the time I was in my mid 20's that I was thoroughly sick of it and it had become a trite experience whether performing or listening/singing.

Not stopping there, I went on to giving a brief history of how the Pledge of Allegiance came about in the 1950's and how it too had become a trite and wrote thing to be "gotten over with" during my school days.  I also added that my children were now also subjected to an additional and almost identical pledge to  Texas while at school, ....in Austin.

In conclusion, I stated that these customs had, at best,  become a distraction from the acts real patriotism, like voting, becoming informed and involved, paying taxes, having a civics curriculum in school, thinking, and otherwise truly participating in the hard work in maintaining and improving our democracy such as it is.

I got a lot of nods and then we proceeded to change the subject and drink a lot more beer.

Was at an Express game a few years ago with a Dominican friend. Friend leans over to ask me a question about the Anthem and the flag tradition. Round Rockian behind me leans forward and tells him to shut the fuck up as dribble of Copenhagen seeped down the corner of his mouth.

I look at him and calmly ask him to remove his hat and put down his beer. he also noticed my shirt about ISAF Sarajevo and mumbled some shit and was quiet. I answered the question about how the flags represented all service branches. Song ended, picked up my beer and enjoyed a sip. 

until they close the bathrooms and concession stands plenty of people care nothing about it. I love the song, but does not mean shit to my feeling about the Constitution and the United States of America.

• Hook 'Em 1

The only sporting events I go too any more are local high school games and local minor league baseball games. I think pretty much 100% of the people in the stands stfu, stand, and take off their hats during the anthem. A few even sing along. This one old dude who is at every baseball game I go to belts it out at full volume. He has a pretty good voice.

The music they play over the loud speakers is horrible and scratchy and a beating though.

I don't really care either way. I actually like the song.

The pledge of allegiance on the other hand, fuck that fascist shit.

11 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

ask yourself: how does this really affect my sporting event experience?

It doesn't. Same as kneeling. But I'm sure Ted Cruz is already planning to pull a Mike Pence, show up just so you can be outraged and leave, all on facebook live of course.

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It doesn't. Same as kneeling. But I'm sure Ted Cruz is already planning to pull a Mike Pence, show up just so you can be outraged and leave, all on facebook live of course.

I doubt it.  "Mr. Cuban, I have Senator Cruz is on the line.  He'd like to come to the next Mav's game as a VIP."  

*click* 

It's cheapened when sung at every fucking game. We are the only country in the world that does shit like this to this extent. An ex-Soviet chick I know said she was freaked out a little after immigrating her as a kid and finding out we had a pledge of allegiance just like theirs. And no other normal countries do this shit. Its pretty much just us and Russia. I imagine NK has a shit load of stuff like that but I said "normal countries." And yeah, I don't think they sing the Russian national anthem before every hockey or soccer game over there. 

But man, our brand of patriotism is about as subtle as a ten dollar truck stop lot lizard.

Car lots should have to pay a tax on flying flags. The bigger the flag the more you pay; money goes to state/national parks. Working together all those car dealers have turned the US flag into visual blight and association with sleazy business dealings...fuck, which is pretty much what this country is all about I guess, but still. Let's get rid of the football field-sized flags flying over Crazy Larry's Pre-Owned Cars & Trucks/Tax Prep/CBD Oil/Bail Bonds one-stop by making these cynical greedheads pay for the privilege of flying flags. 

It's way fucking out of control here. You can live in a city in the UK or any other European country and maybe see one flag a day, in front of a courthouse or something. You can drive from Houston to Galveston and pretty much never NOT be in sight of a giant American flag, either looking ahead or behind you on I-45. 

I really believe all this forced patriotism causes a crisis of real patriotism which in turn brings about more forced patriotism. Feedback loop nourished by cognitive dissonance. 

• Hook 'Em 4

It really is baffling as to why we play it before sports.  Why does the National Anthem need to be played before JV high school games?  

Many people know I referee basketball. I've been to at least 2 DI universities and 1 JUCO--both public state schools--where they had a prayer/convocation before the Anthem.  WTH?

15 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Dandy Danie Goeb seems excessively outraged...

"Children, we have a special visitor in class today...the Lieutenant Governor of Texas, Mr. Dan Patrick.  Now Tommy and Jimmy, come up to the front of the class with Governor Patrick and lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem.  Place your hands over your hearts."

(awkward pause)

"Your hand on your own chest please, Governor."  

Edited by Lobo

24 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's cheapened when sung at every fucking game. We are the only country in the world that does shit like this to this extent. An ex-Soviet chick I know said she was freaked out a little after immigrating her as a kid and finding out we had a pledge of allegiance just like theirs. And no other normal countries do this shit. Its pretty much just us and Russia. I imagine NK has a shit load of stuff like that but I said "normal countries." And yeah, I don't think they sing the Russian national anthem before every hockey or soccer game over there. 

I see someone has never been to a movie theater in India.

• Like 1

Well, I for one am glad the Dallas Stars have weighed in that they will keep playing the anthem so the fans can continue to do bits that completely honor and respect the solemn moment the anthem calls for. 

Edited by mdmost

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well, I for one am glad the Dallas Stars have weighed in that they will keep playing the anthem so the fans can continue to do bits that completely honor and respect the solemn moment the anthem calls for. 

Yeah--the Stars out to just keep their fucking nose out of this.

• Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, there is nothing more Texan!...nothing more American than watching 3 Canadians, 1 Finn, 1 Russian, and a Swede playing ice hockey in downtown Dallas in April!  Now let's fire up the Star Spangled Banner!  

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Dandy Dannie Goeb seems excessively outraged...

It will never cease to amaze me that the same team that is calling for secession of Texas from the US is also pissed off that the proper showy patriotism cues aren't on display so they can prove how American they are.  Fuck off you piece of shit Danny.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Cool. Anytime he does a press conference or any event as Lt Governor, he has to play the Star Spangled banner. 

Good point.  Whenever he's shopping at Lane Bryant, since he's technically spending public funding, he has to sing the Star Spangled Banner in the dressing room.

Edited by Lobo