Mavs stop playing anthem before games

Post Oak

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The whole national-anthem-before-a-sporting-event thing has annoyed me for a long time.  And I haven't been particularly shy about saying so to those around me at sporting events.

One of those sporting events was with my father years ago, and he muttered back to me "just be happy you weren't around when they played it before the beginning of every movie at the theater."  I gave him a weird look.  And I still don't get that.  Was that a thing?

It's annoyed me for a very long time.

The people I know who are upset about this, or upset about players kneeling, etc., I've never seen any of them watching these games on TV get out of their chairs and stand and sing or anything like that, and when I've been to games in person, half the people see the anthem as one last chance to grab a drink or hit the bathroom.

I started feeling this way back in high school, when doing JROTC stuff at the Astrodome during Oilers or Astros games, and we all would have to stand and salute, while everybody just walked around us.

Yeah, there are plenty who stand and sing, but I think it's more about peer pressure and worried they'll be seen on TV.

Forced patriotism really isn't patriotism.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Forced patriotism really isn't patriotism.

who forced everyone to stand?  Neidermeyer/aggy fucks in the stands?

LOLz.   C'mon man.  There are a few willing to stand, regardless of how many folks on this board hate America.

16 hours ago, slorch said:

who forced everyone to stand?  Neidermeyer/aggy fucks in the stands?

LOLz.   C'mon man.  There are a few willing to stand, regardless of how many folks on this board hate America.

image.gif.1489a1b818ed56db84fc3b5a0b772362.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I'm old enough to remember when TV stations went off the air every night for a few hours.  The last announcement they would make every night was how they were going off the air and a flag would pop up on the screen and the national anthem would play.  

In the Austin area, one of the stations would recite that poem that begins something like "I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth and danced in the sky..." IIRC, they would show pics of jet fighters while the poem was being recited.

Maybe the national anthem was before or after that, or maybe that was instead of the national anthem, I don't really remember.

10 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

You could be better than that.

Takeoff your politically tinted glasses and draw better conclusions. I didn’t say anything about the people who ignore the anthem, in fact I directly addressed that there should be no blind allegiance. I don’t give a fuck if people stand sit on a thumb or whatever. It just gets fucking old with the same motherfuckers bitching about everything about this country sucking so bad, when they’re not doing a damn thing to fix it.  Jump in and make a fucking difference or shut up. The rest of it is just blabbering bullshit that sounds really cool in the echo chamber.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Takeoff your politically tinted glasses and draw better conclusions. I didn’t say anything about the people who ignore the anthem, in fact I directly addressed that there should be no blind allegiance. I don’t give a fuck if people stand sit on a thumb or whatever. It just gets fucking old with the same motherfuckers bitching about everything about this country sucking so bad, when they’re not doing a damn thing to fix it.  Jump in and make a fucking difference or shut up. The rest of it is just blabbering bullshit that sounds really cool in the echo chamber.

Apologies.  I was reading a thread about the national anthem, so I thought when you said this:

[quote]LOLz.   C'mon man.  There are a few willing to stand, regardless of how many folks on this board hate America.[/quote]

you were talking about the national anthem, since that's the topic of this thread.  Since I don't follow you around and read all your posts, maybe I missed the context that you didn't provide here.  Like I said, you can be better than this.  Provide better context if you want people to draw different conclusions, man.

And it was a very sarcastic remark. There is nothing wrong with the national anthem. The people wanting to poo poo it are not trying to solve anything.

disruption is the goal. Not improvement. The anthem offends people… LOL. People in this thread are claiming some sort of emotional burden from whatever fucking name their elementary school had. Give me a break… 

Edited by slorch

15 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

if you're happy and you know it

It is an unbelievable burden of guilt and shame that these folks bear.   Thoughts and prayers…

Edited by slorch

I don't have a problem with playing it or not playing it, the thing that rubs me the wrong way is this is another instance of Mark Cuban just being a bit...off. If he wasn't the luckiest billionaire in the world, I'd have a hard time believing he would have really made something of himself. He'd be another $300k/year schlub and this site is lousy with us. From his ersatz snapchat play to all his crappy shark investments, to weirdly retiring Kobe's number, to getting all nerd excited about reddit $gme'rs and being way off-- he is just not really impressive at reading rooms or moods. Good for him on hitting the internet bubble lottery though. 

19 hours ago, slorch said:

I don’t give a fuck if people stand sit on a thumb or whatever. It just gets fucking old with the same motherfuckers bitching about everything about this country sucking so bad, when they’re not doing a damn thing to fix it. 

Based on the fact that you have 4x as many posts as anyone else on this topic, I'd bet you give a lot of fucks.  You give all the fucks.  

This is a board specifically designed for bitching about politics. I'd recommend staying away if you can't handle that.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2021 at 6:10 PM, washparkhorn said:

if you're happy and you know it

Cuban does to seem pick weird lanes.  But more importantly---who is that woman?  Got kind of a saucy Teri Hatcher thing going on and I dig it-dig it.