Gold bug / silver bug / numismatic / metals thread

52-80

15 hours ago, zork said:

Here is a ring my mom left me:  Rubies and small diamonds:

Any idea on value of something like this? Guessing tree fiddy?(picture quality again sucks)

ruby ring.jpg

I wish I could help on this. If you want to sell it I would take it to a lot of places, because I bet the offers would be all over the park from gouge to OK. A lot of places just take things like this apart. Seems like best bet would be to find somebody who appreciates it for itself.

15 hours ago, zork said:

was at safe deposit box today with my shitty phone. here are some pics of what my grandfather gave me a few years before he died:

Silver Balboa, giant silver coin

$20 gold, keep trying to will a D on that spot below the date

$10 gold

There are other things but that is a start. (sorry for the shitty quality, the little rooms where you view your stuff are not well lit)

Any thoughts?

Reveal hidden contents

DSC_0409.JPG

DSC_0410.JPG

DSC_0411.JPG

DSC_0412.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

DSC_0414.JPG

Granddad did you a solid.

Those Balboas are weapons, throw it like a frisbee you could stun a bull. There are lots of them around. IIRC 3.85 oz silver. We have a few, my wife calls them "Flintstones money." Probably get $75-90 for one now, maybe a smidge more if you found a collector who wanted the box and stuff, but coin shops will just pay for the metal.

You probably already know more about the US gold than I do. I'd hang onto those.

• Like 1

Question for the preppers.

In a true, shit-hits-the-fan scenario, how would 98% of the country know the difference between a valuable piece of gold/coin and something fake?  I've seen preppers put a lot of resources and effort into collecting gold and silver, but I've always wondered how that would work in reality.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

In a true, shit-hits-the-fan scenario, how would 98% of the country know the difference between a valuable piece of gold/coin and something fake?  I've seen preppers put a lot of resources and effort into collecting gold and silver, but I've always wondered how that would work in reality.

They wouldn't.

If I were prepping I'd concentrate on making lots of friends, having a reliable water supply, and a ton of food. Throw in a cheap reliable weapon for hunting or crazies coming through the window. Last thing I'd worry about would be gold or silver.

I used to lurk on a forum purely for metal bugs, they'd routinely talk about SHTF and fantasies like bartering with Mercury dimes, various weaponry. I got to wondering, what countries are currently in SHTF status? Maybe Somalia? What would happen to a friendless loner with high-tech weapons and a bag of gold in Somalia? Well OK, maybe not as bad off as Somalia. What about Honduras? Compared to here, that's pretty SHTF.

So I checked to see if they were bartering with the equivalent of Mercury dimes or gold ingots in Honduras. I did it by going on Mercado Libre. No, they were just buying and selling kids' clothes and cell phones for what looked like their normal bumwad money.

From what I know of my own family in the SHTF post-Civil War South, they were pretty busy plowing fields, planting food, growing food, harvesting food. I don't know if they had a dime.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My bad-- for the Panamanian coins, a Balboa is their silver dollar sized coin which matched up to our $1. The giant hunk of silver is a 20 Balboa coin. I believe they made them in the 70s by melting down old demonetized silver coins, and it's sterling silver. Lots of little countries were selling silver coins to tourists and collectors at that time, and many of them were actually minted in Philadelphia.

Disclaimer: random memories from prowling coin sites, may or may not be accurate.

23 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

My bad-- for the Panamanian coins, a Balboa is their silver dollar sized coin which matched up to our $1. The giant hunk of silver is a 20 Balboa coin. I believe they made them in the 70s by melting down old demonetized silver coins, and it's sterling silver. Lots of little countries were selling silver coins to tourists and collectors at that time, and many of them were actually minted in Philadelphia.

Disclaimer: random memories from prowling coin sites, may or may not be accurate.

I think it is a 20 Balboa, from 1973.  Wouldn't buy any numismatic type coins today.  Bid/Ask is a nightmare unless you are holding for a long time and a big swing in price in your favor.  If holding constant or goes against you due to bad timing, the bid/ask totally fucks you and then there is the storage costs.(just rented a box for $168 a year but it is for mortgage docs, titles, etc as well as the few valuables and jewelry)

My mom, back in the 80's, an art major from way back,  melted down a Krugerrand and a diamond ring and made this(she wore it with that chain, the backside pic is extra blurry )  Not sure she used a total oz of gold or what.  Haven't had it weighed or anything.  Kind of sentimental value since she made it(not the chain of course, just the simulated nugget design w/diamond).   

DSC_0432.JPG

DSC_0433.JPG

Edited by zork
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 12:20 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

In a true, shit-hits-the-fan scenario, how would 98% of the country know the difference between a valuable piece of gold/coin and something fake?

you bite it.  the bite test never fails

• 2 weeks later...

This is the kind of crap that people do to scam old people and the uninformed out of money. Slipped into my email, I suspect from an expired AARP membership that I had for a year before I got tired of those geezers.

You've got a 1-ounce hunk of silver that's worth 1/10 what they are asking, encased in plastic and with a Certificate of Authentication that are each worth maybe 5 cents more at the pawn shop. They'll flog these things to anybody who missed out on Beanie Babies or otherwise thinks its value will go up. If anybody ever gets 200+ bucks out of reselling this thing, either they found a bigger mark, or else a gallon of milk costs 50 bucks.

This isn't the worst one. Recently got an ad for a "numismatic" American Silver Eagle for maybe $350, that's like 30 dollars of ASE plus 320 for air.

HarryPotterSilver.jpeg

12 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

This is the kind of crap that people do to scam old people and the uninformed out of money. Slipped into my email, I suspect from an expired AARP membership that I had for a year before I got tired of those geezers.

You've got a 1-ounce hunk of silver that's worth 1/10 what they are asking, encased in plastic and with a Certificate of Authentication that are each worth maybe 5 cents more at the pawn shop. They'll flog these things to anybody who missed out on Beanie Babies or otherwise thinks its value will go up. If anybody ever gets 200+ bucks out of reselling this thing, either they found a bigger mark, or else a gallon of milk costs 50 bucks.

This isn't the worst one. Recently got an ad for a "numismatic" American Silver Eagle for maybe $350, that's like 30 dollars of ASE plus 320 for air.

HarryPotterSilver.jpeg

• Drool 1

10 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Pretty much. Mark up on jewelry that contains actual amounts of gold is often 4 to 1, silver about 10 to 1. And hey, tons of jewelry is grotesque plated junk with zero resale.

Thing is, people aren't buying rings at those prices thinking they're investments. I mean, the ones with any synapses. And hopefully nobody thinks that about the Harry Potter Silver Glob-- I noticed no "investment" talk in the accompanying text, probably thanks to the company's lawyer.

But get into actual coins, and it gets cloudier. Back in the early 90s a bunch of dudes did time for misleading investors about collectible coins-- yes, that silver dollar had some collectible value... just 1/3 as much as they told Granddad it did. Those guys are long out of jail now, and it looks like there are constant replacements for both wolves and sheep.

Ha.  I like that kind of transaction---trading for silver is a good thing.  Are  you trading with/for 1oz Eagles?  The premiums are so high right now, accumulating silver through trade sounds good to me.

My 2021 gold stacking is done.  The final two 1 oz Buffaloes should arrive today. 

Edited by Shaggy3.0
im covid day drinking
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Ha.  I like that kind of transaction---trading for silver is a good thing.  Are  you trading with/for 1oz Eagles?  The premiums are so high right now, accumulating silver through trade sounds good to me.

Well, it was Wild West at the coin shop when I swung by with the painting-- there were jewelry stores during the Russian Revolution who got pillaged by Cossacks and still had more silver afterwards than my guy did. He had some numismatic stuff, and three 10 oz bars. And somebody called in and bought the bars while I was standing there. We are talking lots of empty shelves.

Dude ended up just offering me 10% more in cash than he would have sold any bullion for, and I took it. Watch silver go to $40/oz about 15 minutes from now.

The masterpiece in question was a cartoon Ape in a fedora, saving a Centenario. A niche product, but it's found a home.

IMG_0056.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Awesome!  I might have to trade with you some day.  That art makes for an interesting  zoom meeting background. 

The final pieces for my tube herd arrived.   Buffalo is my favorite coin.

92A01353-1290-4E3F-81B2-FC0EC4F017B3.jpeg

Sweet buffaloes.

Feel free to use the art for Zoom backgrounds. Not sure if it's hi-res enough, but I can get you a better scan if it's not.

Got my October Silver Fix. Nabbed some 90% because I was standing in the shop while another guy was in there selling it. My coin dude let me have it for 19 to 1. Online the best I see is about 23 to 1 if it's even available. I joked that whatever I didn't buy would be gone in 15 minutes, he said people had been calling to buy all morning.

IMG_4531 copy.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

New month, a new installment on the Dollar Cost Averaging. My mystical algorithm is pointing me towards silver again. Frankly, barring a spike in the old argent, or the bottom dropping out of gold, I will probably stick to the white shiny metal for several more months.

The prices online are much higher than what I can find locally, so I'll probably just carry some cash and dawdle around various shops to see what comes in. I don't even haggle anymore-- if I just ask the guys what they want, they usually quote a better price than if I'd tried to beat them down.

I thought I'd have to scrip and scrap this month, picking up a crumb here and there from bare-shelf coin stores, but the first place I stopped in had lots of inventory for the first time in months.

Got some 90% half dollars at 19.5 x face value, and a couple of 1980s Silver Towne rounds with some toning on one side and mirror finish on the other, they'd been in a tube and probably hadn't seen sunlight since the Reagan administration. $3 over spot.

IMG_0130.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, Superhero said:

How much do shops pay for silver maples; philharmonics etc above/below spot?

For Maples and Philharmonics, guy near me with the fancy store is offering spot. For American Eagles, he's offering 2 or 3 dollars over spot. 

You could probably do a little better than that if you ask around.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, if you have something that you even suspect might be old or collectible, never

I mean never

ever...

...clean it. Doing so can leave tiny marks that an expert will notice and change your valuable rarity into a hunk of metal, worth whatever hunks of metal are worth. Same thing with making it into jewelry. Do that with something common.

But hey, suppose you've already got non-collectible hunks of metal, they're tarnished, and you just want them to be shiny? Because you feel like it?

Well alright then. You could break out the silver polish, and reenact being an Irish servant on a Gilded Age estate. You could use "Dip," available at some coin shops and probably only mildly corrosive to coins, eyes, and lungs. Or you could just use the Baking Soda method.

You need:

1. Nasty filthy tarnished silver object

2. Glass or ceramic bowl

3. Scrap of clean aluminum foil

4. Baking soda

5. Water, hot is better than cold

You scrunch up the foil and put in the bowl. Gently set your silver on top of it. (Don't grind them together, we are using chemistry, not friction.) Toss a smidge of baking soda on it, you don't need much. Cover the whole coin in hot water, dissolving the baking soda.

Tarnish will leave the coin and transfer to the foil. When the water cools a little I like to flip the coin in case there were air bubbles under it. I let it sit a few minutes.

After 5 minutes or so, if you still have a filthy looking coin, that's probably not tarnish, that's sludge from decades gone by. While the coins are still wet, just put a dot of dish soap on them and rub it around with your thumb. Wash in clean water, pat dry on soft towel.

Shiny.

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did this chemistry experiment with some nice results before. I first bought a silver round, one in the style of bust dollars from 200 years ago or so, with a nice shiny mirror surface, that I got a deal on for basically silver price. I next did my first chemistry experiment, which was to encrust the silver round with sulfur powder. (Do NOT do this to anything valuable!) After this horribly stained the coin, I did the baking soda and aluminum foil experiment, which cleaned off a lot of the tarnish, but still left it weathered looking, but with hints of the original shiny luster, in a nice way, and still a good ounce of 0.999 silver, and fun to hold in hand.

• Drool 1

On 8/29/2021 at 12:20 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Ive learned the most foolproof way to check a coin is by biting it

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:24 PM, Superhero said:

How much do shops pay for silver maples; philharmonics etc above/below spot?

As mentioned before, my silver stash (averaged at $30) has become unwieldy and I’d like to trade most of it for gold instead. 

Shops buy thing above spot?!??!

Just got back from a trip to Philadelphia that had zero to do with coins or metals, but not for lack of places to get them, had I been so inclined, as well as maybe carrying the wallet that had money in it.

First up was a local gentleman hawking silver dollars and proof sets to Granddad at 5:30 AM. This man was very public-spirited and generous because, even though at first glance his goods appeared overpriced, he assured us that with minimal effort, we could turn around and triple or quadruple our money almost instantaneously. Why he didn't do this himself is a mystery.

IMG_0181.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Then a block from the hotel I stumbled into the Stack's Bowers auction house. It is a classy enterprise with rare items for devotees with taste and discernment. I once had a guy who worked at a different branch put me on the mailing list for their glossy catalog, but I think somebody sussed me out as a lowlife dirt-trash bullion shark, because it quit coming.

IMG_0191.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

No trip is complete without a visit to Jewelers' Row on Sansom Street. These photos are from early Sunday when it's locked down tight, but when everything is open it's Goblin Paradise, the kind of old city charm where basement shops are crammed with tables covered in scrap gold and guys yelling in Russian. The pizza joint at one end has unfortunately not survived. It wasn't great, but it was the one place on Sansom where you could get something for 5 bucks.

Switt's is legendary. It looks like a shop full of gizmos and oddities, but it has quite the history. This is where the illegal-to-own 1933 gold Double Eagles spent part of their existence in a drawer. One sold recently for more than 18 million dollars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_double_eagle

I doubt that's the only rarity hiding inside the old walls of this street.

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

this is philly?  looks cool

Yeah, it's moved up into my Top 3 Favorite Cities. My bro-in-law who used to run its grimy streets was amazed at how spruced up it was when he drove in to see us. Market Street is all clean glass towers, while just a block south it turns into interesting hopping-and-bopping restaurants and apartments in brick row houses, made me think of a nice Manhattan neighborhood circa 1980.

A new month. Silver looks underpriced to me compared to gold, even though online silver premiums are mostly pretty high. My plan is once again to visit my local dude who prices 90% pre-1965 coins for about the same per ounce as generic rounds, instead of adding the Magical Premium that became fashionable in the Time of Covid. As with all local prowls, no idea what I'll find.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 11:17 AM, RDCanecutter said:

A new month. Silver looks underpriced to me compared to gold, even though online silver premiums are mostly pretty high. My plan is once again to visit my local dude who prices 90% pre-1965 coins for about the same per ounce as generic rounds, instead of adding the Magical Premium that became fashionable in the Time of Covid. As with all local prowls, no idea what I'll find.

Work has been busy.  Very little time to find bargains.

I'll be in the North Dallas area doing the same--hunting for good deals at local shops.  I want to load up on silver bars and generics for the upcoming zombie apocalypse.  I'm holding off on gold right now.   I'll pull the trigger when it hits ~$1700/oz.  I look forward to starting the 2022 buffalo herd.

• Drool 1

I have been the opposite of the obsessive stacker during December. Been walking around all month with some cash I set aside like I am a low-level drug dealer circa 1983, but have not found the urge to darken a coin shop's door. Always gonna get around to it "tomorrow." Well, in a minute, tomorrow will be January.

It's possible that my lack of drive will not change the course of world history.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

If the Treasury holds gold as a fallback, it has value.  Interest is down. This type of inflation is misunderstood when the Fed is turning off the spigots rather quickly. Since it was artificial ($120 billion a month since March 2020), there was no play in gold longer term.  It looks to be priced well given the Fed hawkish pivot to control inflation. If the inflation risk is low long term, gold waits. It’s not going anywhere. 

cryoto has not behaved as an inflation hedge in this go around. 

Edited by washparkhorn

8 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

snagged a Barber. It was in a lot of pockets, but I think it's the first I ever got

Fierce. Love the art. The patina surrounding the stars connotes strength and reliability in my eyes. The stories it could tell. 

what is the pronoun for coins among collectors? She or it?

11 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Fierce. Love the art. The patina surrounding the stars connotes strength and reliability in my eyes. The stories it could tell. 

what is the pronoun for coins among collectors? She or it?

I never heard anything other than "it."

Though there are interesting stories about some of the models for the women. Don't know about whoever might have posed for Mr. Barber, but on the Morgan silver dollar, that was a school teacher in Philadelphia who later dismissed it as youthful folly. For the Peace dollar, that was the sculptors Italian wife. For several of the US gold coins, the model was a lady in NY who was of mixed White/Black heritage.

Harvey Stack of Stack's Bowers passed away.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/longtime-professional-numismatist-harvey-stack-dies

Came up with a grading system for coins (I guess the whole MS-63 sort of thing) and also got the 50 States series of quarters started at the US Mint, which got new generations checking their pocket change.

Approaching a 3% sell-off for $GLD since Tuesday following a huge surge of purchase inflows that accompanied last week’s broad market dump….I guess people are having second thoughts and/or believe in Powell’s ability to control the madness?

I’m a big advocate of the stability / store of value argument for gold, but this is shaping up to be a pretty shitty episode if it doesn’t improve soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 12:11 PM, Muny_Tex said:

Approaching a 3% sell-off for $GLD since Tuesday following a huge surge of purchase inflows that accompanied last week’s broad market dump….I guess people are having second thoughts and/or believe in Powell’s ability to control the madness?

I’m a big advocate of the stability / store of value argument for gold, but this is shaping up to be a pretty shitty episode if it doesn’t improve soon.

And how are PMs treating you now, relative to crypto or other assets?  Gold remains my long-term hedge against inflation.  Emphasis on long-term.  It's God's money.  I'll never sell my holdings. Buy and hold until I'm gone.  My kids, nieces, nephews will cash in when I'm gone. 20% of my PMs are gifted to the youngsters every year. They love the buffaloes and learn how value works.   When I eventually take that dirt nap, I'm confident gold will NOT be valued less than it is today.  I don't use my PMs to flip/time the market.  I have a long-term strategy to leave plenty for those who come after me.  Better than leaving cash.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

And how are PMs treating you now, relative to crypto or other assets?  Gold remains my long-term hedge against inflation.  Emphasis on long-term.  It's God's money.  I'll never sell my holdings. Buy and hold until I'm gone.  My kids, nieces, nephews will cash in when I'm gone. 20% of my PMs are gifted to the youngsters every year. They love the buffaloes and learn how value works.   When I eventually take that dirt nap, I'm confident gold will NOT be valued less than it is today.  I don't use my PMs to flip/time the market.  I have a long-term strategy to leave plenty for those who come after me.  Better than leaving cash.

My $GLD is up approx 1.5% YTD, which is beating all 3 major indices espec the Nasdaq…and well surpassing BTC (-8%) and Russell 2K (-9%).

That said, I do believe another significant sell-off may be right around the corner as fickle investors buy into false narrative that Fed can (or will) get inflation under control with rate hikes…so a non-yield paying hedge is no longer necessary.

Not sure if you follow mega bug Peter Schiff, but his thesis is marginal rate hikes and “less loose” Fed policy will prove wholly inadequate to stem inflation (bullish for gold)…and any attempt to heavily crank the monetary tightening will crash the markets and threaten severe recession, at which point the Fed will abort mission/resume QE leading to a seismic crash in the dollar (jackpot for gold).

I don’t entirely share that outlook, but recently structured a very “defensive” portfolio alongside Gold that focuses mainly on established, profitable, dividend-payers with limited exposure to momentum stocks minus some hand-picking that I do in my Roth for cyclical travel/leisure/retail plays.

In any event, I generally subscribe to your theory that gold is to be “owned” and not actively “traded”. If you believe our ‘borrow & spend’ economy is fundamentally a house of cards (I certainly do), then temporary price swings in gold are irrelevant when the eventual end game (hyperinflation via USD’s loss of status as global reserve currency) is inevitable…just don’t know if we’re 5 years or 300 years away from that catastrophe.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Muny_Tex said:

My $GLD is up approx 1.5% YTD, which is beating all 3 major indices espec the Nasdaq…and well surpassing BTC (-8%) and Russell 2K (-9%).

That said, I do believe another significant sell-off may be right around the corner as fickle investors buy into false narrative that Fed can (or will) get inflation under control with rate hikes…so a non-yield paying hedge is no longer necessary.

Not sure if you follow mega bug Peter Schiff, but his thesis is marginal rate hikes and “less loose” Fed policy will prove wholly inadequate to stem inflation (bullish for gold)…and any attempt to heavily crank the monetary tightening will crash the markets and threaten severe recession, at which point the Fed will abort mission/resume QE leading to a seismic crash in the dollar (jackpot for gold).

I don’t entirely share that outlook, but recently structured a very “defensive” portfolio alongside Gold that focuses mainly on established, profitable, dividend-payers with limited exposure to momentum stocks minus some hand-picking that I do in my Roth for cyclical travel/leisure/retail plays.

In any event, I generally subscribe to your theory that gold is to be “owned” and not actively “traded”. If you believe our ‘borrow & spend’ economy is fundamentally a house of cards (I certainly do), then temporary price swings in gold are irrelevant when the eventual end game (hyperinflation via USD’s loss of status as global reserve currency) is inevitable…just don’t know if we’re 5 years or 300 years away from that catastrophe.

All good points.  We have a similar outlook.  Schiff, George Gammon, Chris Irons (don't laugh--I know), and Demitri Kofinas are just a few people I follow on Spotify.  I enjoy their perspectives, even when I don't agree with them.  And you're right, we have no idea if/when shit will hit the fan.  Just like you said, it could be 5 or 300 years away.  And that's why I use PMs for a financial insurance policy.   My family can hopefully transition to whatever is ahead.  Hopefully that day never comes.  But just in case.....keep stacking.