Top Chef Portland

Biff Tannen

• 2 weeks later...

Curious if Doug Adams pops up as a guest judge, he was a popular contestant and has a restaurant in Portland called Bullard. 

I actually knew Doug in middle school in East Texas. He was a little shithead, haha. He seems grown out of that, checked out his restaurant a few years ago and it was pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Curious if Doug Adams pops up as a guest judge, he was a popular contestant and has a restaurant in Portland called Bullard. 

I actually knew Doug in middle school in East Texas. He was a little shithead, haha. He seems grown out of that, checked out his restaurant a few years ago and it was pretty good.

Haha, I loved Doug.  How was he a shithead?

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Haha, I loved Doug.  How was he a shithead?

Nothing too alarming, typical 13 year old kid stuff. Not surprising considering he’s a very short adult, but he was tiny and he had classic little man syndrome. Would just go around talking shit to everyone and act like he wanted to fight but then would weasel out if things got too serious. 

I didn’t go to the same high school as him so I mostly lost touch but from the mutual friends who still do, he’s a good dude. Just a short phase from the 2 years that I happened to interact with him a lot so it was hilarious seeing him pop up as lovable Dougie on TC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Premieres this Thursday, looks like the season will be from 7-8:15. They’ve never been that early, correct? 

They've often done the premiere at an earlier time, but reverted to the usual schedule for the rest.  I prefer the earlier time slot, so hoping it sticks. 

It will be interesting how they handle things this season. Will shopping be online?  How do they handle Restaurant Wars? The producers will be challenged to keep eliminations interesting with no catered events or festivals. The chefs are living in hotel rooms so there won’t be the interactions you normally get in the chef house. I don’t have high expectations. 

Texas well represented this season. 2 Houston chefs and one from Austin. 
https://www.foodandwine.com/news/top-chef/top-chef-season-18-portland-chefs-cast

Edited by TonyTexas

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

It will be interesting how they handle things this season. Will shopping be online?  How do they handle Restaurant Wars? The producers will be challenged to keep eliminations interesting with no catered events or festivals. The chefs are living in hotel rooms so there won’t be the interactions you normally get in the chef house. I don’t have high expectations. 

Texas well represented this season. 2 Houston chefs and one from Austin. 
https://www.foodandwine.com/news/top-chef/top-chef-season-18-portland-chefs-cast

Every meal should have to be served to Padma and Nigella Lawson in their hotel beds. 

topchef.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Alright, I'm happy.  I dig the kitchen and I think there's a lot of promise for this season, despite Covid.  

Spoiler

I felt bad for our first chef down.  Especially since he's a bbq chef, but damn, that broth was muddy.  Hoping he can at least take a couple of LCK wins.

I really like the former chefs as guest judges too.  They know what it is to be in their shoes, which I think is important.

Padma straight says there are only executive chefs & owners. 
Well, except the pit-boy that got sent. 

Here’s his bio:

The Birmingham resident spent long hours as the executive chef at Rodney Scott’s BBQ, working to uphold the reputation of a premier pitmaster. Now Hall works as the culinary director for Post Office Pies, where wood-fired brick ovens are the high-temperature tool of choice.

Has anyone ever turned down Last Chance Kitchen? Like when the judges eliminate someone it seems like they are saying, “so we will see u in last chance kitchen, right?”

in the first episode I was wondering if some of the contestants had even watched Top Chef before...lol.

also I wonder bc of Covid if the way they shop for groceries is seen by contestants from other seasons as an advantage or disadvantage. 

Really enjoying this season a lot. There are some real badasses in this group. 

Edited by Nicole44

8 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Has anyone ever turned down Last Chance Kitchen? Like when the judges eliminate someone it seems like they are saying, “so we will see u in last chance kitchen, right?”

in the first episode I was wondering if some of the contestants had even watched Top Chef before...lol.

also I wonder bc of Covid if the way they shop for groceries is seen by contestants from other seasons as an advantage or disadvantage. 

I say zero chance it's an advantage. You can't touch/smell produce or meats. You won't see an item you hadn't thought of that catches your eye that really makes the dish. As someone who was forced to shop for groceries online with curbside pickup the past year, it's always a crapshoot with what you are given re: freshness, quality, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

The only person I recall ever turning down LCK was Brother, but to be fair, he had had just been eliminated in the first episode after fighting his way through LCK to re-enter the main draw, so he understandably had had enough.  They had multiple LCK re-entry chances that season.  I don't know if they are still doing that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm not a fan of previous contestants being guest judges. I've usually had enough of them after their seasons. 

I think it's a byproduct of COVID. Easier to bring in a bunch of former contestants to stick around for awhile and remain isolated/quarantined than having the usual parade of celebrity chef guest judges pop in for a quick appearance. Makes sense, though it may be a fucking beating by the end of the season if it's the same group.

She is also apparently really cool.  I have a friend who knows her.  I remember when everyone liked Richard.  Talk about letting fame go to your head.

For some reason, the female winners are among my favorites. I really like Melissa, Brooke, Stephanie, Kristen and Kelsey. Mei was meh.
  • Hook 'Em 1