Top Chef Portland

Biff Tannen

On 4/30/2021 at 11:29 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Highlight of the episode was Tom trying not to crush Padma for her ‘acting’ promos. His restrained eye rolls were outstanding. 

The minority women are having some trouble with chicken so far. 

How does someone fuck up wings 2 weeks in the row?  They are one of the easiest things to make delicious.  Cauliflower tots should have gotten Gabriel sent home.  Nothing screams action like fucking cauliflower tots.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Do not listen to this man. Texas is the consensus worst season. I hated the bullying bitches. 

I really liked Charleston because the finalists, Brooke, Shirley and Sheldon, are 3 of my favorites. 

Everybody cool out!

I was living in TN at the time.  The idea that one of my fav shows was traveling Texas filled my heart with joy.  As to the product on the field, not so much. 

I'm going to have to go back and see about the bullying.  I don't recall that part.

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

How does someone fuck up wings 2 weeks in the row?  They are one of the easiest things to make delicious.  Cauliflower tots should have gotten Gabriel sent home.  Nothing screams action like fucking cauliflower tots.

And they were Soggy tots with very similar sauces. I admit that was a hard category in the elimination challenge. Action but not messy. I always try to think about what I would do. 

Worst moment in any season for me was the head shaving episode in season 2. Tom was so enraged and rightfully so. It was his bday and his wife had flown in to see him and the producers called him to see the footage. He, in his own words, wanted to send Sam, Ilan and Elia home along with Cliff. Tom wanted to let Marcel to win by default.

The producers had to intervene. 

I know it’s the Voldemort of episodes and there are varying accounts of the incident but the video shows what it shows. That could have wrecked the show. Doesn’t matter what people thought of Marcel. Tom was soooo pissed. Lucky for the other contestants the producers decided against Tom I guess.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Worst moment in any season for me was the head shaving episode in season 2. Tom was so enraged and rightfully so. It was his bday and his wife had flown in to see him and the producers called him to see the footage. He, in his own words, wanted to send Sam, Ilan and Elia home along with Cliff. Tom wanted to let Marcel to win by default.

The producers had to intervene. 

I know it’s the Voldemort of episodes and there are varying accounts of the incident but the video shows what it shows. That could have wrecked the show. Doesn’t matter what people thought of Marcel. Tom was soooo pissed. Lucky for the other contestants the producers decided against Tom I guess.

Tom got way more upset in the first couple of seasons.  Remember his reaction in the first episode when he thought the chef was being rude to Hubert Keller (I think?). He has calmed way down.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Tom got way more upset in the first couple of seasons.  Remember his reaction in the first episode when he thought the chef was being rude to Hubert Keller (I think?). He has calmed way down.

Ya. The success of the show was weighing on him a lot early on. He is more chill now and my favorite judge.

I still would like to see one more blind testing since it appears the judges aren’t gonna change much at all. By this point in the season the main judges are always saying, “you can tell this is —-‘s dish. It’s them on a plate.”  Well ya, you already know who made the dish. Lol.

just one more blind tasting would be cool. IMO. Just to see. 

On 5/2/2021 at 8:58 AM, TonyTexas said:

Do not listen to this man. Texas is the consensus worst season. I hated the bullying bitches. 

I really liked Charleston because the finalists, Brooke, Shirley and Sheldon, are 3 of my favorites. 

I know Tom has said that Qui just dominated everyone that season.  They had to get creative with editing because he was so much better.  Too bad Paul blew himself up.  He's talented, but he's a piece of shit.

Agree on Charleston.  I love Brooke and Sheldon.  Both really talented and nice people.

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I know Tom has said that Qui just dominated everyone that season.  They had to get creative with editing because he was so much better.  Too bad Paul blew himself up.  He's talented, but he's a piece of shit.

Agree on Charleston.  I love Brooke and Sheldon.  Both really talented and nice people.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call him a piece of shit.  He was in a bad place with some bad people.  Lots of drugs and violence with everyone involved, including the girlfriend.  

But concur that Tom said that.  It's interesting to watch it back now, after knowing that.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't know if I would go so far as to call him a piece of shit.  He was in a bad place with some bad people.  Lots of drugs and violence with everyone involved, including the girlfriend.  

But concur that Tom said that.  It's interesting to watch it back now, after knowing that.

I have little patience for domestic violence.  Those that engage in it are pieces of shit, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I have little patience for domestic violence.  Those that engage in it are pieces of shit, IMO.

Clearly, but from what I've heard, it may have been more of a self-defense type situation.  Regardless, he's a pariah.

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought it was interesting what Maria said about not getting feedback since she's always in the middle.  I was actually just wondering that last week.

I feel like they should at least give people in the middle some sense of how they are doing.  Seems a little unfair that you only get feedback when you're on the bottom or top, especially early on when they middle is so big.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Stringer said:

I thought it was interesting what Maria said about not getting feedback since she's always in the middle.  I was actually just wondering that last week.

I feel like they should at least give people in the middle some sense of how they are doing.  Seems a little unfair that you only get feedback when you're on the bottom or top, especially early on when they middle is so big.

This is why they started bringing everyone out the past few seasons, even if they were in the middle. I said earlier in the thread how what they are doing now is the worst way possible. 

They aren’t allowing the middle people to see how judges’ table works and they make the bottom people watch the top people get praised before they get eviscerated. 

I guess there is no feedback for the middle either way, but at least if they are out there they get a feel for how to deal with the judges. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/22/2021 at 6:29 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Was @creasy the one that got to go to Restaurant Wars a few seasons ago? 

Hey y'all. Yes, that was me! When Top Chef Texas was in Austin. 11th hour invite due to someone backing out. Just lucked out that I was close to the venue and free that evening. It was wild to see the judges in person! Padma is taller and more beautiful and glamorous IRL if that's possible. Hugh Acheson and Emeril were guest judges. I still have a copy of the presentation menu somewhere in our kitchen. IIRC, the restaurant was called "Canteen". It was Paul Qui's team. It's a damn shame about him.

I also attended the BBQ challenge they filmed at the Salt Lick. A friend in PR got us on the list for that one. That food was much better than Restaurant Wars. They did film us commenting on the dishes, but none of it made it on air. I personally enjoyed my comment, "I don't think these beans are supposed to be al dente." hahaha 😀

As for this season, tonight's challenge was my favorite so far. The ingredients, the focus on "first foods" and the food culture of Native Americans, and a solid cooking challenge. Shota and Sara are my favorites. One thing I noticed this season is that there isn't really anyone who's being portrayed as "The Asshole", which is a nice change.

It's been a while, so hope everyone's making it all right through this past year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, creasy said:

Hey y'all. Yes, that was me! When Top Chef Texas was in Austin. 11th hour invite due to someone backing out. Just lucked out that I was close to the venue and free that evening. It was wild to see the judges in person! Padma is taller and more beautiful and glamorous IRL if that's possible. Hugh Acheson and Emeril were guest judges. I still have a copy of the presentation menu somewhere in our kitchen. IIRC, the restaurant was called "Canteen". It was Paul Qui's team. It's a damn shame about him.

I also attended the BBQ challenge they filmed at the Salt Lick. A friend in PR got us on the list for that one. That food was much better than Restaurant Wars. They did film us commenting on the dishes, but none of it made it on air. I personally enjoyed my comment, "I don't think these beans are supposed to be al dente." hahaha 😀

As for this season, tonight's challenge was my favorite so far. The ingredients, the focus on "first foods" and the food culture of Native Americans, and a solid cooking challenge. Shota and Sara are my favorites. One thing I noticed this season is that there isn't really anyone who's being portrayed as "The Asshole", which is a nice change.

It's been a while, so hope everyone's making it all right through this past year.

First, super cool. Second, can we be friends so I can be friends with your friends who have the Top Chef hook ups?  Third, pretty sure Gabriel is the asshole. No spoilers. 

I enjoyed that one.  I think the correct team went home.  That trout was hammered.  Gabriel looked like he was really taking it hard.  Byron almost got he and Maria sent home by not letting her add her green mole to the plate, but that probably needs to be on her for not being more assertive.  Team challenges are tough.     

I'll have to binge LCK before next week.   

On 5/7/2021 at 6:14 AM, idigTexas said:

I enjoyed that one.  I think the correct team went home.  That trout was hammered.  Gabriel looked like he was really taking it hard.  Byron almost got he and Maria sent home by not letting her add her green mole to the plate, but that probably needs to be on her for not being more assertive.  Team challenges are tough.     

I'll have to binge LCK before next week.   

me too.  both challenges were interesting so that makes for a good episode.  was getting tired of hearing about the knee too, but also he just wasn't assertive or putting himself out there all season.   gabe is clearly an asshole and should have gone home last week instead of the girl for the tots.  justice was served this week even though it was not his salmon that was hammered.  

20 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

So the prize for this season is $250k, just like All Stars.  If I were in All Stars, I'd be kinda pissed.  Or any of the other recent seasons.

Like many businesses, the food industry was hit really hard by the pandemic.  Also, more prize money likely pulls in better contestants.  I have no problem with it.

I just finished binging LCK.  I was really surprised that they actually revealed the winner.  Usually you have to wait for the next full episode.  I won't spoil, but I'm pleased with the results. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I always thought the prize money for TC was stupid low. Until AllStars, it has always been $100K, some appliances and a food festival appearance. That’s ridiculous in the world of reality compilation shows. Survivor was a million from the get go. The Challenge has grown its purse to keep up with the times. I always thought that seed money for a restaurant would be a good reward. The production company could retain some equity ala American Idol. 

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

Like many businesses, the food industry was hit really hard by the pandemic.  Also, more prize money likely pulls in better contestants.  I have no problem with it.

I just finished binging LCK.  I was really surprised that they actually revealed the winner.  Usually you have to wait for the next full episode.  I won't spoil, but I'm pleased with the results. 

Me too. I feel Tom is so effective in LCK. I was also pleased with the results. Pretty cool.

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

I mean, if you are into R2-D2.

"Beep-boop-bop." 

Weirdest case of Tourette's ever. 

I imagine that’s what happens in that chef’s restaurant when you send an order back. 

Me: “These chicken wings are soggy and lack any flavor.”

Chef: “Zing wow beep beep.”

33 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Top Chef has not had a lot of hot female contestants. I’m having a hard time coming up with any. Unfortunately, there have been a plethora  ugly, fat dykes. 

Casey, Brooke, Kelsey, hottie Australian blonde whom I can't remember her name right now...