Top Chef Portland

Biff Tannen

Just now, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Yeah, someone on here did it. It was the wife of a husband & wife tandem that used to post. 

I’ve been wanting to find a top chef event to go to for years. Part of the reason I finally broke and joined Twitter was to find out about these things.
Also, would love to go to Alden Food and Wine one year.  Shit is crazy expensive and hard to get. 

Tom was awesome with the bottom three: “Look guys the only time you can cook exactly what you want un-encumbered is the finale, ok? But you have to get there first!” Loved it. Kiki was a week contestant And Nelson may be gone next if he can’t step it up. But Kiki bitching about quickfires as being the opposite of how she operates in her restaurant and she hates them, blah blah blah, don’t go on the show. I mean have some of the contestants even seen  it? The show? 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

How could you come to this thread on the night it airs and not expect comments on what happened?  

Some of us are enjoying the evening out on the patio before being able to fast forward through commercials. 

We have spoiler tags. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Nicole44 said:

My bad. Probably there are rules for stuff like this. I just forget. I just like the show so much it’s cool to be able to watch it and talk about with like fans.

You did nothing wrong.  If someone isn’t watching live then they shouldn’t come into the thread. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You did nothing wrong.  If someone isn’t watching live then they shouldn’t come into the thread. 

Oh cool. I mean it will be cool to comment on the show as we are watching. None of my friends or family really watch (wtf is wrong with them) and my mom isn’t really gonna be an avid watcher so I have no one to discuss it with. Lol. 

also, BEES! And also seeing the promo for next week, I was wondering when Gabriel (not Gabe from Austin) would start acting like a dick. 

I get the fruit challenge. It’s hard. But some of the contestants just did not want to embrace it at all. And with the loser—I mean that shit has never happened. 

That may be the most obvious dish to be sent home I have seen in all these years.  You can’t serve raw chicken to every single person.  That’s just brutal.  If I was Tom after Padma said, “pack your knives and go” I would have added in “You don’t get to go to last chance kitchen either since you served me raw chicken”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

That may be the most obvious dish to be sent home I have seen in all these years.  You can’t serve raw chicken to every single person.  That’s just brutal.  If I was Tom after Padma said, “pack your knives and go” I would have added in “You don’t get to go to last chance kitchen either since you served me raw chicken”.

His reaction said it all. Mentally, like Brittany I feel like she just gave up from the quick fire. She just seemed not into it at all. Tom’s reaction to the dish she wanted to make also spoke volumes.

I mean you have all of this amazing fresh fruit and some of them just couldn’t wrap their brain around it.

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m going to give it a shot despite the fact that Guy Fieri is the host. That guy gets on my nerves. I’m also not wild about the Food Network’s stable of chefs. But season 1 has a good representation of Top Chef cast members. Antonia, Brooke, Voltaggio and Blais are on it. 

Oof, that may be a deal breaker for me. 

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Some of us are enjoying the evening out on the patio before being able to fast forward through commercials. 

We have spoiler tags. 

You are in the wrong here.  We don't need a bunch of unnecessary spoiler tags.  If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read the thread until after you have watched the episode.  Do you read threads for games that you are recording and complain that people are posting the scores?  Have some self-restraint and avoid the threads. 

Edit:  I see SO2 already made this point.  Oh well, it no harm in making it again. 

Edited by idigTexas
Reading before posting, how does it work?
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the episode.  Gabe seems to really have a grasp of the competition.  Did anyone dig up why he was fired after returning from the show? 

I was disappointed to see Avashar in the bottom, but he likely doesn't have enough experience to avoid bad weeks.

10 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I enjoyed the episode.  Gabe seems to really have a grasp of the competition.  Did anyone dig up why he was fired after returning from the show? 

I was disappointed to see Avashar in the bottom, but he likely doesn't have enough experience to avoid bad weeks.

1. Rumors of sexual harassment.  I've seen a couple of, "My friend worked at his restaurant and it was commonplace" lines.  The wording of the termination papers seemed to be in line with this.

2. Agree on Avashar.  Take away his dumbass Ohio obsession, and he'd be one of my all-time favs.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Fun website for fans who want to take a deep dive
https://topchefstats.com/

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've spent some time there.  The most interesting one to me is the Restaurant Wars winners/losers.  I definitely thought being Excecutive Chef or FOH would be the most risky, but nope.  Pretty even across the board.

No spoilers, no discussion, no nothing.  Were all of you glued to the draft? 

I was hoping they would send Gabriel home for underwhelming poorly executed tots, but he likely shows too much potential and not enough over-the-top cocky doucheness to go this early.  Poor Jamie.  Someone always has to be the sacrificial lesson reminder about being bullied into making a dish that you don't want.  MAKE.  YOUR.  FOOD.  I was really hoping they would give Dawn the win with popcorn, but no such luck.  I love me some Fletcher's, but no thank you to whatever the hell that was that Shota served. 

I am enjoying watching Byron also. He definitely has talent and seems like a great all around guy. Works real hard. Wouldn’t shock me to see him in the final four. Gabriel was acting like a twat. Somewhat. 

Glad to see Maria start fighting and not give up. That was cool what she made. Bread and sausages in the damn rain. Impressive. 

Avishar (odd obsession with buckeyes aside lol) is awesome. Tom loves him. 

Double elimination next week will be brutal. Last Chance Kitchen will definitely be interesting after that. 

I enjoyed the episode a lot. I would have liked to have seen more details about what all went into some of the dishes for the elimination challenge but it is a petty gripe. I dvr’d Top Chef and watched after draft. 😁

20 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Highlight of the episode was Tom trying not to crush Padma for her ‘acting’ promos. His restrained eye rolls were outstanding. 

The minority women are having some trouble with chicken so far. 

That Padma stuff was a tad annoying - especially her, "Aren't I funny?" responses/looks in the car.  I'm not Team Padma, so admittedly biased.

"Cook something you can eat in a car."  Half of them make messy stuff.

Interesting season.  Only one I don't care for is Maria.

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That Padma stuff was a tad annoying - especially her, "Aren't I funny?" responses/looks in the car.  I'm not Team Padma, so admittedly biased.

I love her, but yeah those were a bit grating. Everyone’s (except Tom) over the top responses like it was the funniest thing they had ever seen really drove home how easy life must be when you are incredibly attractive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m definitely not the biggest Padma fan, but I thought it was quite clear those promos were very much in jest. Her friends were just laughing along with her being an idiot. 

Also, if you ever get tired of her antics, just throw on a random season’s finale on Hulu and check out what she’s wearing and all will be right in the world again. 

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Interesting season.  Only one I don't care for is Maria.

I don't mind Maria, but her likability certainly isn't benefiting from the edit she is getting.  I guess someone has to fill the "lesbian with attitude" role.  I definitely do not think she is as annoying as Gabriel, though overall, this cast is fairly tame in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

What is everyone’s favorite overall season, not including either of the All Stars?

I loved Colorado.  Very talented class and 98% of the chefs were likeable. The final 5 or so were truly good friends. It was so enjoyable to watch. 

Texas.  I don't remember any of the contestants except for Qui, but it was Texas.  

9 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I love her, but yeah those were a bit grating. Everyone’s (except Tom) over the top responses like it was the funniest thing they had ever seen really drove home how easy life must be when you are incredibly attractive. 

That was the other thing.  

Maria and/or Dawn could be entertaining when it gets to restaurant wars.  I feel like one of them is going to go off.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Texas.  I don't remember any of the contestants except for Qui, but it was Texas.  

Do not listen to this man. Texas is the consensus worst season. I hated the bullying bitches. 

I really liked Charleston because the finalists, Brooke, Shirley and Sheldon, are 3 of my favorites. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Tom cracks me up. 

Since we are clearly dealing with the same judges overall—its weird we have a Campbell’s soup QF but no representative from Campbells to judge it and so on. Sometimes they can be annoying the “guest judge” sponsoring the QF or elimination but I think it also gives other contestants a chance to shine. I just hope it’s not entirely one note like this. I have no idea how to write what I want to say do if that all made sense, cool? 

Double elimination next week! Oooh...