Deshon Elliott

Patrick Bateman

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

True, but an un drafted free agent needs to actually make the team to see those numbers. The practice squad makes about 90 but that is two years max. If he blows his knee in training camp he gets zero. 

Blow knee at UT, medical redshirt and another shot. As for “education” include everything the school and student network can offer their lifetime Longhorns, not just simply a degree, but the network. 

Leaving early was a big mistake in this case. 

hahahahaha, are you fucking serious about the whole "education" bullshit still?  Including the student network?  Holy shit balls man.  This guy is a Thorpe fucking finalist for the University of Texas.  You think he gets cut off from the network because he left school a year early?  If the NFL doesn't work out for him and taking that he isn't in Tom Herman's shit list.  He will be welcomed back to the University with wide open fucking arms.  Not only will he get some cush job within the Athletic department, they are going to be paying him WHILE he is getting his degree!  What a concept.

• Fuck You 1

So far he has made 35k. Nothing more and is guaranteed nothing more. 

Think football education. Another year in the weight room, on the white board and all over ESPN and every award list. He moves up even one round he gets a guaranteed deal with all of the money you are talking about. 

A Thorpe award finalist putting a second year on film after just one year of playing seems like a terrible idea. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Think football education. Another year in the weight room, on the white board and all over ESPN and every award list. He moves up even one round he gets a guaranteed deal with all of the money you are talking about. 

A Thorpe award winner putting a second year on film after just one year of playing seems like a terrible idea. 

Desmond King agrees with this

30 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

A Thorpe award finalist putting a second year on film after just one year of playing seems like a terrible idea. 

Didnt Aaron Ross come back after being a Thorpe Award finalist?

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Then you come back and finish your degree like almost every ex-Horn has - you're being obtuse.

In community studies, or physical culture and sport, yes?  And pop right into that mid-six-figures job at, uh, 24-Hour Fitness?. 

Sure the successful (VY, Durant, Ford, Redding) Longhorns come back and get their degrees because they have the money and the downtime to do it. I think "almost every ex-Horn" is a wild exaggeration.

And the "Longhorn network" insures that they don't want for jobs/income.  Nothing guarantees a guy like Deshon is going to make big money in the NFL.  And a guy who had a good year for a mediocre-to-bad Longhorn team probably isn't going to be particularly well or fondly remembered by the faithful in 4 years when his pro career disappears after grossing a million dollars.

You or I could to wonders with 4 years in the NFL at $250K/year and our business or engineering or whatever degrees and we won't benefit from quite the same "network."  But let's not pretend that the average D1 football player, even an above-average Longhorn, can/will do the same thing.  Some will, most won't, the evidence shows.  And Deshon doesn't seem to have just a bevy of great advisors or a willingness to listen to them.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

In community studies, or physical culture and sport, yes?  And pop right into that mid-six-figures job at, uh, 24-Hour Fitness?. 

Sure the successful (VY, Durant, Ford, Redding) Longhorns come back and get their degrees because they have the money and the downtime to do it. I think "almost every ex-Horn" is a wild exaggeration.

And the "Longhorn network" insures that they don't want for jobs/income.  Nothing guarantees a guy like Deshon is going to make big money in the NFL.  And a guy who had a good year for a mediocre-to-bad Longhorn team probably isn't going to be particularly well or fondly remembered by the faithful in 4 years when his pro career disappears after grossing a million dollars.

You or I could to wonders with 4 years in the NFL at $250K/year and our business or engineering or whatever degrees and we won't benefit from quite the same "network."  But let's not pretend that the average D1 football player, even an above-average Longhorn, can/will do the same thing.  Some will, most won't, the evidence shows.  And Deshon doesn't seem to have just a bevy of great advisors or a willingness to listen to them.

And....What you can’t do is come back and improve your NFL stock. We all know what we are talking about when we say “education “ and of course he can come back and get his degree at anytime. But he can’t come back and win the Thorpe award. 

And who knows if he got an advance from his agent based on bad info. He could be in the hole at this point. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Huh?  Where are you getting this from???

9 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And....What you can’t do is come back and improve your NFL stock. We all know what we are talking about when we say “education “ and of course he can come back and get his degree at anytime. But he can’t come back and win the Thorpe award. 

And who knows if he got an advance from his agent based on bad info. He could be in the hole at this point. 

I'm not sure if you were the kid who sat in the corner and ate paste from preschool into high school, but I think that you might need to let it go.

You can advise your son not to leave early for the NFL draft, but this ship has sailed and you've said your piece about 8 to 10 times already. I'm not sure what you think is the magic number for stating the same thing for it to "click" with others, but I believe that the number for radio ads is 3 or 4 before it affects a person's buying decision. (You've doubled to tripled that.)

Perhaps it's time to start a thread for a player who will be entering his junior year this fall and you can begin your efforts to convince him to stay in school.

Your work here is done.

Edited by Napoleon

I still ocassionally watch kirkogrinds (our perpetually injured RB if you dont know) vlogs for some reason, and Deshon showed up in one with a black Mercedes (possibly SLS AMG? didn't get a good look) he's already bought...hope he makes the team and balls out for years to come. Can't say I definitely would've made better choices at his age even though I'd like to think so..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Connor Williams replied saying "I hear you brother."

God dammit. aggy is gonna have a field day with this bullshit.

Connor must've deleted it cuz I don't see it.  And fuck aggy, let em have their field day.  none of it will make a shit when Clemson comes to town.

• 3 weeks later...

Good for him. Despite a brief lapse into dumbassery I hope he does well and represents The University well as a pro. Hook ‘em Deshon and keep your dirty laundry out of the mouths of reporters. 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Y’all do what you want. I think he’s a whiny bitch and don’t want to ever see him associated to Texas again. He was fucking poison on the team last year and he put himself over the program again a few weeks ago, in public. That shit has been screenshot and sent to every recruiting target we’re in on for the next 3 classes. Fuck that selfish shithead. 

Some of you guys that have short memories and fungible loyalties should refocus your attention to the NFL and NBA. You may not be cut out for this little “the program is bigger than any player or coach” notion as a supporter for college teams. 

TEAM

me

Man, he got butthurt because Herman told his current players not to hang out parties hosted by NFL players. Deshon will get friends his own age once he's done paying for all of Eric Weddle's meals and all will be forgotten. Deshon will be welcome back on campus and Tom will never badmouth him to the media. It was a brainfart and he shouldn't have done it on Twitter of all places, but this is just like a parent telling a teenager that his or her best friend is a bad influence. The teenager doesn't just remove himself from the family.

Hook 'em, Deshon. Keep playing well and don't talk about Texas for awhile.

• Like 1