Good movies that haven't held up.

Parliament

Maybe it started with your 2nd viewing, maybe it was several years later.  Regardless, it's a movie that isn't very good now.

The Matrix. Great premise and revolutionary special effects.  But as good as they were then, those special effects pale in comparison today.  I blame green screen.  Green screen wasn't very good yet.  And the subsequent sequels left a bad taste in our mouths.

Avatar.  It was wildly popular and the special effects were also (nearly) revolutionary.  I think it was one of the 1st movies to use that "facial capture" thing?  But the dialogue, acting and plot were wholly forgettable.  And forget we have.

Saving Private Ryan.  The Normandy Beach scene is something never put of film before.  Raw, intense, real.  No war glamorization here.  But it's plot is terrible, and acting is uneven at best.  Those raw, intense, real war scenes?  Everybody is doing that today.  But you do hafta give SPR credit for that.

Se7en.  Gonna get neg rep for this one.  All the shocking scenes in it?  Meh.  Nothing like we get today.  And the acting is so-so.  Fincher's subsequent movies are a lot better.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 8

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Disagree about The Matrix.

Yeah personally I pretend the sequels don’t exist but the original is the shit. 

I’ll submit Scarface. Totally 80s and Octavio the clown. Yet I’ll still watch it to the end if I run across it. I’d also add that if you want to want to instill fear and/or torture someone don’t immediately apply the chainsaw to the temple 

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Maybe it started with your 2nd viewing, maybe it was several years later.  Regardless, it's a movie that isn't very good now.

The Matrix, Avatar, Saving Private Ryan, Se7en

How about some of your movies that do hold up to provide some reference.  

21 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

How about some of your movies that do hold up to provide some reference.  

Terminator 2.  Special effects are still good enough.  Acting (other than John Conner) is solid.  Music timeless.

Most of the comedies that were good when they were new.  Poop, dick, etc, jokes are always good.

• Hook 'Em 1

With advances in animation we have right now, watching The Neverending Story and  The Last Starfighter  does not hold up anymore

Also seeing movies made in the 80s and with setting supposedly several decades into the future, and yet you see  computers with CRT monitors and video payphones seemed out of today in restrospect

Edited by Haphap
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 5:08 PM, Parliament said:

The Matrix. Great premise and revolutionary special effects.  But as good as they were then, those special effects pale in comparison today.  I blame green screen.  Green screen wasn't very good yet.  And the subsequent sequels left a bad taste in our mouths.

Avatar.  It was wildly popular and the special effects were also (nearly) revolutionary.  I think it was one of the 1st movies to use that "facial capture" thing?  But the dialogue, acting and plot were wholly forgettable.  And forget we have.

Saving Private Ryan.  The Normandy Beach scene is something never put of film before.  Raw, intense, real.  No war glamorization here.  But it's plot is terrible, and acting is uneven at best.  Those raw, intense, real war scenes?  Everybody is doing that today.  But you do hafta give SPR credit for that.

Se7en.  Gonna get neg rep for this one.  All the shocking scenes in it?  Meh.  Nothing like we get today.  And the acting is so-so.  Fincher's subsequent movies are a lot better.

You're going to get negged and deserve it.

Your knocks on Avatar and SPR are bogus. Films aren't dated because of the acting - that just makes them bad. And neither of those films were (or your knock on Se7en).

The Matrix completely holds up, certainly as a stand alone movie (the rest just blew). There are times when the effects are meh, but as a whole that movie still stands the test of time.

Se7en - You are nuts. First off shocking scenes not holding up? Blasphemy. It absolutely does. The amazing this about the film is that ...

Spoiler

... it's able to pull off all the suspense without showing anyone but John Doe die.

Films would love to pull off what Se7en pulled off.

American Beauty is the obvious choice here.   Chariots of Fire and Gandhi also look pretty banal by modern standards.  The Artist will of course fall into this category in a decade, and I suspect The Shape of Water will eventually as well.

The Matrix absolutely holds up.  The only strange thing is how few people in the MSM saw it as a Christ allegory at the time.  I rewatched it with my son who is in Catholic school and he was pretty much walking me through the gospels on an almost literally basis.   In retrospect, it makes the decision to give the Wakowskis money for sequels look particularly stupid. 

Now, if you want to go old school, I've long argued that Gone with the Wind has aged terribly in comparison to much of it's Academy competition in 1939.  Goodbye Mr. Chips, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Of Mice and Men, and particularily the Wizard of Oz have far surpassed it in rewatchablity.

Edited by Bateshorn

I'm in the group that thinks Dances With Wolves still holds up.  Even back then I thought was a bit self-indulgent for Kevin Costner and his acting performances are usually uneven.  The story, cinematography, music, and performances of the Native American cast are still excellent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

The only two mentioned I agree w/ are Scarface and American Beauty.  I tried to watch Scarface a few weeks ago and didn't make it 30 minutes....holy shit it just seems shitty all the way around. 

The only reason to watch AB is to see Thora Birch's underage titties. 

I'll probably get roasted for this but I don't think Platoon holds up very well.   Too....cliched or something and Charlie Sheen's acting doesn't hold up for me, either. 

I tried to rewatch Platoon as well recently.  Oddly enough, the secondary characters hold up really well: McGinley, Keith David, Kevin Dillion, etc. Even Tom Berenger and Willem Dafoe hold up despite gobbling scenery like hunger wolves.  But the over the top direction and Charlie Sheen just torpedo the film.   I still argue that the definitive Vietnam movie still hasn't been made.

Scarface is hard to watch.  The plot is nonsensical.

8 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'll probably get roasted for this but I don't think Platoon holds up very well.   Too....cliched or something and Charlie Sheen's acting doesn't hold up for me, either. 

I think Platoon may seem clichéd because of the deluge of Vietnam movies that followed.  I still like it, along with a lot of the other Oliver Stone movies of that era (Born On The Fourth of July, Wall Street). 

Edit:  And agreed with Bateshorn's take on the acting.  One of Willem Defoe's best roles, in my opinion.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

I haven't seen American Beauty since it was in the theater. What about it doesn't hold up? I honestly remember little about it other than boobies.

Well Kevin Spacey wanting to bang the chick from American pie instead of the neighbor boy for starters.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I think Platoon may seem clichéd because of the deluge of Vietnam movies that followed.  I still like it, along with a lot of the other Oliver Stone movies of that era (Born On The Fourth of July, Wall Street). 

Edit:  And agreed with Bateshorn's take on the acting.  One of Willem Defoe's best roles, in my opinion.

Exactly this

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I haven't seen American Beauty since it was in the theater. What about it doesn't hold up? I honestly remember little about it other than boobies.

Same here.  I catch a few minutes here and there when I'm flipping the channels and its on HBO.  It's still a good movie about dysfunction under the appearance of order and happiness, and the performances by Spacey and Bening still hold up.  And I really like Thomas Newman's musical score.

47 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

American Beauty is the obvious choice here.   Chariots of Fire and Gandhi also look pretty banal by modern standards.  The Artist will of course fall into this category in a decade, and I suspect The Shape of Water will eventually as well.

The Matrix absolutely holds up.  The only strange thing is how few people in the MSM saw it as a Christ allegory at the time.  I rewatched it with my son who is in Catholic school and he was pretty much walking me through the gospels on an almost literally basis.   In retrospect, it makes the decision to give the Wakowskis money for sequels look particularly stupid. 

Now, if you want to go old school, I've long argued that Gone with the Wind has aged terribly in comparison to much of it's Academy competition in 1939.  Goodbye Mr. Chips, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Of Mice and Men, and particularily the Wizard of Oz have far surpassed it in rewatchablity.

Ghandi and Chariots of Fire don't hold up ??!!  They are timeless films like Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge over the river Kwai.  Of course that's just my opinion.

Gone with the wind holds up today as well. It is a bit flowery, but the acting is still top notch and the sets were amazing.. 

• Like 2

Platoon was one of the 1st post-Vietnam war movies, and it was long overdue.  It's blatantly anti-war.  Nothing wrong with that, but anti-war movies today are a bit tired.  Sorry for going all CR here, but subsequent war movies just tell a good story.  We like that better.

Take the Sheen voiceovers out, and make the score less melodramatic.  It'd be a better movie for this era.

Can I add Blackhawk Down?  It was popular immediately post 9-11.  Still a good action movie, but it veers SO far from the actual story.

Edited by Parliament

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Platoon was one of the 1st post-Vietnam war movies, and it was long overdue.  It's blatantly anti-war.  Nothing wrong with that, anti-war movies are a bit tired.  Sorry for going all CR here, but subsequent war movies just tell a good story.  We like that better.

Take the Sheen voiceovers out, and make the score less melodramatic.  It'd be a better movie for this era.

I think It holds up well as is. Not dated, good soundtrack, great acting and a pretty decent accounting  of the shit going on.  Voice overs are always a little sketchy in my opinion.  Just my opinion of course.

The early 00's comic book movies, Spideman 1 and 2, XMen 1 and 2 specifically.  (The 3rd installments were garbage of course.)

They were the 1st "serious" comic book movies intent for wide appeal, but the quality and cgi are very dated.  The Nickelback theme song seals it.

ETA

Movies that were overrated when they were new fit here as well.  Eventually that facade of awesomeness falls off and we all see it is just an average movie.  Look as the undeserving Oscar winners from 10+ years ago (cough) Shakespeare in Love (cough).

Edited by Parliament

The Terminator.  I pulled this one up to watch with the wife, as she had never seen it and I was explaining how all the little boys of the time thought it was incredibly bad ass.  We hardly made it through the first scene.  The effects are just too dated to suspend disbelief.