Good movies that haven't held up.

Parliament

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

The Terminator.  I pulled this one up to watch with the wife, as she had never seen it and I was explaining how all the little boys of the time thought it was incredibly bad ass.  We hardly made it through the first scene.  The effects are just too dated to suspend disbelief. 

The curse of sci fi movies or lots of special effects movies..........

Can you imagine how people freaked when King Kong first came out...

Just now, longhornmatt said:

I watched Ferris Bueller’s Day Off for the first time in forever recently.  Maybe I’ve just turned into an old man yelling st clouds, but all I could think about is (a) Ferris is basically a sociopath and (b) how did I never realize what an asshole he is until now?  When I was a kid/teenager it never dawned on me that he wasn’t a hero. I must have been a little shit back then.

You’ve turned into Ed Rooney.

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I watched Ferris Bueller’s Day Off for the first time in forever recently.  Maybe I’ve just turned into an old man yelling at clouds, but all I could think about is (a) Ferris is basically a sociopath and (b) how did I never realize what a jerk he is until now?  When I was a kid/teenager it never dawned on me that he wasn’t a hero. I must have been a little shit back then.

Read The Catcher in the Rye again and tell me if you don't think Holden Caulfield is a whiny little bitch.  

I used to read that book every couple of years and one time the switch just flipped and I went from "Yeah!  You tell 'em Holdy!" to "STFU you punk ass kid." 

Also, get off my grass.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Read The Catcher in the Rye again and tell me if you don't think Holden Caulfield is a whiny little bitch.  

I used to read that book every couple of years and one time the switch just flipped and I went from "Yeah!  You tell 'em Holdy!" to "STFU you punk ass kid." 

Also, get off my grass.  

Always thought he was a little bitch.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Also, get off my grass.  

I have always wanted to punch Holden in the f'n face.

One of my best friends in college -- also happens to be a knockout blonde -- was (and remains) a huge literature fan.  She actually runs an English department nowadays.  but our freshman year, we had an honors English class together where we read Catcher in the Rye.  And the first day of class discussion turned into just the two of us arguing with each other about Holden.  We left class and went to Quacks, and kept arguing for hours.  Every positive point she made about him, I argued was evidence that he was a whiny bitch who needed to be punched in the face.

Yes, there was real tension between us.

No, I never closed the deal, because freshman brisket was a pussy, and stuck himself firmly in the friend zone.

Thanks for opening up that old wound you sonofabitch.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I watched Ferris Bueller’s Day Off for the first time in forever recently.  Maybe I’ve just turned into an old man yelling at clouds, but all I could think about is (a) Ferris is basically a sociopath and (b) how did I never realize what a jerk he is until now?  When I was a kid/teenager it never dawned on me that he wasn’t a hero. I must have been a little shit back then.

I always thought he was a rich, effeminate twerp.  But he got away with it, so I give him a pass.

Edited by Parliament

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ghandi and Chariots of Fire don't hold up ??!!  They are timeless films like Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge over the river Kwai.  Of course that's just my opinion.

Gone with the wind holds up today as well. It is a bit flowery, but the acting is still top notch and the sets were amazing.. 

Have you watched either recently?  Chariots of Fire is.....slow.  It must have been the sensibilities of the time, but I found the pacing odd.  No pun intended.  White guy playing Gandhi looks wrong today.   My beef with Gone is relative to it's Oscar class.  It's not Forrest Gump vs. 1994 Best Picture nominees, it's just that it had one of the strongest Academy classes of all time, including Wizard of Oz, which probably holds up to time better than virtually any picture ever made.

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Have you watched either recently?  Chariots of Fire is.....slow.  It must have been the sensibilities of the time, but I found the pacing odd.  No pun intended.  White guy playing Gandhi looks wrong today.   My beef with Gone is relative to it's Oscar class.  It's not Forrest Gump vs. 1994 Best Picture nominees, it's just that it had one of the strongest Academy classes of all time, including Wizard of Oz, which probably holds up to time better than virtually any picture ever made.

I have.  The pace is  what was intended.  It's not an action film per se.  I've always liked the movie so that certainly colors my opinion.  I don't really dig action movies as much as a dialog driven movie so there's that.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

On 4/29/2018 at 10:30 AM, Haphap said:

seeing movies made in the 80s and with setting supposedly several decades into the future, and yet you see  computers with CRT monitors and video payphones seemed out of today in restrospect

RoboCop is a prime example of this. I'm not sure it was ever a "good" movie, but it certainly doesn't hold up well. Lots of monochrome monitors. And the "futuristic" vehicles look like crap, Fords with a bunch of plastic cladding on them.

I've come to the realization that I should judge a movie set in the future as bad because they couldn't predict every major technological advance. I do look fairly upon those that do a good job of predicting technology, though. Not being able to accurately predict stuff in the future is just par for the course with those movies. If they could predict stuff that well they would be making a boat load of money doing something other than making movies.

17 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I've come to the realization that I should judge a movie set in the future as bad because they couldn't predict every major technological advance. I do look fairly upon those that do a good job of predicting technology, though. Not being able to accurately predict stuff in the future is just par for the course with those movies. If they could predict stuff that well they would be making a boat load of money doing something other than making movies.

Watch 2001: A Space Odyssey for this.

Plenty of misses (there's no Hilton in orbit, no moonbase, no commercial space travel (yet)).

But amazing hits -- touchscreens, facetime from the orbiting hotel, HAL is Alexa, etc.  Seriously, for how long ago this was, that's some amazingly on-target stuff.

My wife watched the movie for the first time with me a couple of months ago.  It remains one of the most incredible films ever made, and as a first-time viewer, she agreed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ghandi and Chariots of Fire don't hold up ??!!  They are timeless films like Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge over the river Kwai.  Of course that's just my opinion.

Gone with the wind holds up today as well. It is a bit flowery, but the acting is still top notch and the sets were amazing.. 

I love Chariots. When Sam sees the flag rise above the stadium with God Save the King and he knows Harold won gets me every time. Then they get rip roaring drunk. 

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I love Chariots. When Sam sees the flag rise above the stadium with God Save the King and he knows Harold won gets me every time. Then they get rip roaring drunk. 

49 minutes ago, irockalltherocks said:

RoboCop is a prime example of this. I'm not sure it was ever a "good" movie, but it certainly doesn't hold up well. Lots of monochrome monitors. And the "futuristic" vehicles look like crap, Fords with a bunch of plastic cladding on them.

The FX of RoboCop may not hold up, but Verhoeven's vision of a world ruled by corporate overlords and an aggressive security state was spot fucking on.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, irockalltherocks said:

1200px-2002-05_Pontiac_Aztek.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Also, get off my grass.  

As an adult you aren’t supposed to like Holden caulfield, or at least how he acts. The author didn’t necessarily like him either. 

Back to the topic at hand, platoon looks like a 2 hour cliche nowadays, yet Wall Street still holds up for old compromised mr stone. Go figure. I credit Michael Douglas personally. 

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, ain't gonna dox her.  Picture any number of hot Thetas circa 1988, and you've got her pegged.  But add in the awesomeness of her being a hard-drinking intellectual.

And she's a Subarau driving rug muncher now.  

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Watch 2001: A Space Odyssey for this.

Plenty of misses (there's no Hilton in orbit, no moonbase, no commercial space travel (yet)).

But amazing hits -- touchscreens, facetime from the orbiting hotel, HAL is Alexa, etc.  Seriously, for how long ago this was, that's some amazingly on-target stuff.

My wife watched the movie for the first time with me a couple of months ago.  It remains one of the most incredible films ever made, and as a first-time viewer, she agreed.

One of my all-time favorites.

8 hours ago, Parliament said:

Platoon was one of the 1st post-Vietnam war movies, and it was long overdue.  It's blatantly anti-war.  Nothing wrong with that, but anti-war movies today are a bit tired.  Sorry for going all CR here, but subsequent war movies just tell a good story.  We like that better.

Take the Sheen voiceovers out, and make the score less melodramatic.  It'd be a better movie for this era.

Can I add Blackhawk Down?  It was popular immediately post 9-11.  Still a good action movie, but it veers SO far from the actual story.

I'm on the complete other side of this argument. The score and voiceover make Platoon and are the parts that hold up and are still relevant (This nation is still at war with itself, and the Barnes and Elias characters are just as relevant today as ever). The war scenes are bad and don't hold up at all.

Blackhawk Down was a fantastic war movie that I thought did an admirable job illustrating the chain-of-command inefficiency that was noted in the book as being a significant factor in the events, along with actual heroic actions by some MOH recipients and general badasses that made a difference. Also, I thought it did a better job re-creating Special Forces missions than any other movie before it. The weakest parts that are grating/don't hold up are Josh Hartnett, Jason Isaacs, the contrived comedic relief with McGregor and Hardy, etc., which are  a small part of the film, but they do date it somewhat.  If the script would have gone totally hardcore war movie without the few comedic relief scenes/lines and trimmed down the Josh Hartnett storyline, it would feel less dated, but it would have probably been a little more dark/depressing/realistic that what was considered optimal for commercial viability at the time.

Edited by 686
  • Like 1

I tried to watch the original Amityville Horror a few months ago which scared the hell out of me when I was a kid- found out that it was a really shitty movie. My wife who, who scares easily from horror movies, was rolling her eyes at the "scary parts".

Commando does hold up well, though.

15 minutes ago, Mole said:

This probably falls more in the "movies I thought were cool as a kid" category, but Top Gun and Crocodile Dundee. 

I would say Top Gun may be the epitome of “smash hit bad movie that doesn’t hold up at all”.  

I love Crocodile Dundee, the juxtaposition of Mic from the outback and 80’s New York is great, and it’s got the lighthearted Aussie vibe of not taking itself too seriously that keeps it watchable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Parliament said:

Platoon was one of the 1st post-Vietnam war movies, and it was long overdue.  It's blatantly anti-war.  Nothing wrong with that, but anti-war movies today are a bit tired.  Sorry for going all CR here, but subsequent war movies just tell a good story.  We like that better.

Take the Sheen voiceovers out, and make the score less melodramatic.  It'd be a better movie for this era.

Can I add Blackhawk Down?  It was popular immediately post 9-11.  Still a good action movie, but it veers SO far from the actual story.

Blackhawk Down is an amazing movie. From casting, even the music, the chaos. If you're saying the book is wrong, then OK, I'm not sure I have all the information you may have. The movie is more pro-military, but the overall tone of the movie holds up. 

23 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

My kids laughed out loud at Jaws when they were seven.  When I was seven and the movie was new it gave me nightmares for days.

The elements of Jaws that make it a fantastic movie today have nothing to do with horror, Mr Hooper

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Macanudo said:

And she's a Subarau driving rug muncher now.  

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hey, I'm a subaru driving rug muncher and I like it shag. 

Silver Streak is not as riotously funny now as it was in 76.