2021 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Beantown Express 2.0

Yeah I know the R&R HOF is shite and I may have missed it but didn’t see a thread on this.  On their site you can vote for 5 of the nominees.  Who you got?  I would go with Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters, Carole King, Todd Rundgren, and LL Cool J from the choices.  I still think Warren Zevon, Pat Benatar, Boston, The Carpenters, Jim Croce, Foreigner, J Geils Band, The Spinners, Three Dog Night, and Styx just to name a few should already be in over many of the acts already enshrined. Below are the choices for 2021.

Iron Maiden

Chaka Khan

Foo Fighters

The Go Go’s

Devo

Jay-Z

Tina Turner

New York Dolls

LL Cool J

Dionne Warwick

Carole King

Fela Kuti

Mary J. Blige

Rage Against The Machine

Kate Bush

Todd Rundgren

That's the worst fucking ballot I've ever seen.  I guess Tina Turner and Iron Maiden for longevity.  Foo Fighters are probably the most "rock 'n roll" of that group.  I'm not trying to sound too cool for school here, but I have honestly, in all truthfulness, have never even heard of 3 of those acts and my side hustle is in the music business.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

That's the worst fucking ballot I've ever seen.  I guess Tina Turner and Iron Maiden for longevity.  Foo Fighters are probably the most "rock 'n roll" of that group.  I'm not trying to sound too cool for school here, but I have honestly, in all truthfulness, have never even heard of 3 of those acts and my side hustle is in the music business.  

Just curious but which 3?  There was 1 I didn’t know but the others I am well aware of as musicians and their impact on music albeit I don’t listen to most of the ones on the list.

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'll guess he hasn't heard of Kuti, Bush and Carole King. 

I was not familiar with Kuti.  To me Carole King is an absolute giant in the music business.  I know its before most on here’s time including my own but as a song writer in the 60’s and singer/songwriter in the 70’s she was pretty huge.  Tapestry is considered one of the greatest albums ever made.  They even made a Broadway musical out of her songs recently.  

Pretty good guess ^.  I hosted a classic rock show in Chicago '91-'93, I know who Carole King is.  But yeah, Kuti, Kate Bush, and Mary J. Blige were unknown to me.  I know I've heard/read the names Kate Bush and Mary J. Blige, but I didn't know until I saw that list they were famous for music.  You could have told me they were actresses and I would have believed it.   Anyway, I'm lame but not as lame as this list of potential inductees.  

8 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was not familiar with Kuti.  To me Carole King is an absolute giant in the music business.  I know its before most on here’s time including my own but as a song writer in the 60’s and singer/songwriter in the 70’s she was pretty huge.  Tapestry is considered one of the greatest albums ever made.  They even made a Broadway musical out of her songs recently.  

Kuti was in some ways as significant as Bob Marley around the world -- he was enormously popular and a political force. I don't know his music that well but I like what I've heard. It would open the door to more African musicians and then you'd have to start considering South Americans too. Fuck, why not, this thing has crept way beyond its original mission already. 

Hounds of Love by Kate Bush is a great, great album, but the production--like so many of that era--is bright to the point of being brittle on some tracks. Still, "Running up that Hill" is a great track to play really fucking loud on a good system.

King's a no brainer from that list. 

Iron Maiden's not my thing but they were groundbreakers.

Tina's what--80?--so unless they want to honor her posthumously they'd better do it soon.

Jay-Z's not my jam but undeniable influence.

Foo and RATM to give the HOF concert some balls. 

New York Dolls.

Devo.

Eight makes for a nice even number for the ceremony.

• 2 months later...
Guest Lobo

Not really my cups of tea, but no denying talent and indelible marks on rock/pop history in that group.  One of the more pragmatic and impactful classes in the last many years.  Congrats to all and to live music coming back.  

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Foo and Dave are much better rock stars than they are musicians and songwriters and I don’t dislike them at all. 

No Rage again?

tenor.gif

I like the foos a lot, and I think your assessment is fair.   As far as I can tell, Dave and foos define rock and roll these days, at least in the classic sense.   I don't see anybody else carrying that torch.  

And yeah, Rage belongs.   But we all know that HOF is bullshit.  

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, me too.  As did George, John, Paul and Ringo. 

Fucker's a badass. Imagine how tight that Little Richard band was with Billy on the keys and Jimi on guitar. 

Go ahead and get you some. (also don't forget The Stones.)

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Foos are good, but they have no competition. They are the Larry Holmes of rock bands. Not really great or groundbreaking, but enjoyable.

But they can still perform and sell some really expensive tickets to the big event.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...