Texas deep freeze carnage thread

immamac

in the "it's the the thought that counts" department, told my mom to make sure she had all her faucets dripping last night, including in her (seldom used) laundry room.  Turns out that pipes was already cracked and when she got up this morning the carpet was soaked.  Doh.  Water cleaning service already called.

• Rage+1 2

Glad you're okay man.  Tricky f'in section of MoPac since it was elevated higher than it needed to be.  

Put some hot ice on it and get drunk.  

Edited by Lobo

7 hours ago, immamac said:

Post pics of your plumbing disasters due to the hard freeze all over Texas. My contribution. Hose popped off the polaris pump so nothing horrible. 

IMG_20210213_102742.thumb.jpg.35e1473e434acd011cbc0420c8901374.jpg

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

You aren’t going to wrap any of those pipes and put a tarp cover on the whole thing?

In theory, if you leave all of your outdoor faucets fully open, the pipes and faucet won’t freeze. It will be an ice rink outside but no burst pipes.

59 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

We have always wrapped & insulated our outdoor hose bibs and just dripped an indoor faucet that is on an outside wall on the opposite side of the house from the main waterline. 

Same here. Also open up cabinets that have water lines to hopefully keep them warmer for the outdoor faucets.

Even with these precautions I worry about temps in the teens freezing outdoor hose bibs and lines.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Same here. Also open up cabinets that have water lines to hopefully keep them warmer for the outdoor faucets.

Even with these precautions I worry about temps in the teens freezing outdoor hose bibs and lines.

It's 1 fucking degree here right now.

58056036.jpg

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

You aren’t going to wrap any of those pipes and put a tarp cover on the whole thing?

Modern pool control systems have a freeze mode. If the temps at the pump get below a preset level, the pump cycles on and off every so often to prevent frozen water in the system.

Bernard 

• Hook 'Em 3