Texas deep freeze carnage thread

immamac

33 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Atmos is going to love me. I set my pool heater to 37 degrees for the next 48 hrs. Already getting ice around the edges and an indicated temp of 35.

You pool people, is this the right idea? Or will it be fine with single digit temps forecast tonight and tomorrow?

Nada. Serious trouble could be ahead...do not run your pool heater in freezing conditions. Visit troublefreepool.com and you will find many threads currently. I’m running my pumps 24/7 praying nothing freezes...even the water features. That’s what is recommended...just keep your water moving.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Nada. Serious trouble could be ahead...do not run your pool heater in freezing conditions. Visit troublefreepool.com and you will find many threads currently. I’m running my pumps 24/7 praying nothing freezes...even the water features. That’s what is recommended...just keep your water moving.

Ok good to know. Fingers crossed.
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I have sprayers from the deck that go into the pool but...my damn remote where I turn them on went out(doesn't connect) a month ago.  I have the pool pump running but don't know how to manually turn the electric valve to let the water flow through them.  I may be fucked. if they crack I will have to break into the deck.

troublefreepool.com is excellent for any pool questions.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I have sprayers from the deck that go into the pool but...my damn remote where I turn them on went out(doesn't connect) a month ago.  I have the pool pump running but don't know how to manually turn the electric valve to let the water flow through them.  I may be fucked. if they crack I will have to break into the deck.

troublefreepool.com is excellent for any pool questions.

It’s cold as heck outside but is there a box outside with controls? That’s what I have to do when I have remote issues. At this point I’m just hoping for minimal damage here...trying not to imagine entire pool freezing...that’s my worry with any power outage.

I already found one pipe frozen that lets water in when pool drops to a certain level...so as long as I can keep water moving through the pool without freezing...I will be happy that’s my only issue.

Edited by Tailgate

14 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

It’s cold as heck outside but is there a box outside with controls? That’s what I have to do when I have remote issues. At this point I’m just hoping for minimal damage here...trying not to imagine entire pool freezing...that’s my worry with any power outage.

I already found one pipe frozen that lets water in when pool drops to a certain level...so as long as I can keep water moving through the pool without freezing...I will be happy that’s my only issue.

yeah but I can't remember which button controls the sprayers and I don't want to screw something else up.  I probably waited too late anyway.  dumb on my part.

6 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

My tankless hot water heater is working great in the kitchen but no hot water in any of my bathrooms. No water at all in the master, only cold in the guest. Frozen pipes? Am I fucked?

Do you have a recirculating pump connected to it?  

8 hours ago, horn4life said:

Well that explains it.   I noticed our freezer was acting funky and now I have to decide was it the Fridge temp function or not have power for 20 hours or so over 2 days.

Well this just saved our ass. Just checked freezer and yup shit was defrosting. 

12 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Now I have cold water only in the master. Hot water in the kitchen but not in any of the bathrooms. I have a recirculating pump in the garage but it looks fine. Should I continue to let the sink drip or just turn the water off?

Maybe try turning all taps on full blast for a bit? Maybe you can dislodge it. 
*note. I have no idea what im talking about. 

• Haha 4

Good luck y'all, been years since I worried about it (as in living in colder areas for years) but I remember what it can be like when your shit isn't set up for it.  

Normally I find myself telling people around me "no, it isn't fucking hot as hell and it sure as shit ain't that humid; talk to my friends back home."  It's close enough to the reverse - it's pretty fucking cold there, I don't think the surrounding mountains here in the nearby Appalachians have broken below what some of y'all are seeing this year.

Edited by grazinhorn

There’s not one damn plumber on this site?

My experience with pipes freezing, HR is you need to warm em up (duh). I said this once here already...we had a -50 night a few years ago and my upstairs bathroom, located above my unheated garage, would only trickle out of the faucet bath tub. We opened up the door from the house to the garage and used some space heaters to heat up the garage from like 30 to mid 40s...finally an hour or 2, the trickle became a a normal flow, and I was saved.

If I were you, I’d ditch the “drip” and start opening everything up. Maybe try luke warm after a few minutes of full flow and see if you feel any difference in water temp. If accessible maybe run the hair dryer around the areas

Been dripping the cold all day and it's doing fine. Now wife went to wash hands and the hot water wouldn't come on at all. We quickly turned everything on full blast and now we're getting a cold trickle from the hot faucets after a few minutes of running everything. Rookie mistake to only drip the cold.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Been dripping the cold all day and it's doing fine. Now wife went to wash hands and the hot water wouldn't come on at all. We quickly turned everything on full blast and now we're getting a cold trickle from the hot faucets after a few minutes of running everything. Rookie mistake to only drip the cold.

Most of our faucets are single-handle, so we're just leaving them in the middle.

I'm dripping the shower, too and it has a pressure balancing mxing valve so it's running both also.

Got this text at 2:15am. 

Due to record electric demand, Texas electric grid operator is directing rotating outages to protect electric grid reliability.

Outages typically 40 mins or less. Length and frequency depend on severity of event. Prepare for possible power interruptions due to mandated rotating outages.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Due to record electric demand, Texas electric grid operator is directing rotating outages to protect electric grid reliability.

Outages typically 40 mins or less. Length and frequency depend on severity of event. Prepare for possible power interruptions due to mandated rotating outages.

Would be nice if they told people at least a few minutes ahead of time when their outage will be.

4 hours ago, F250 said:

Too many lawyers and not enough plumbers on this site.

This.  I'm decent with carpentry, I'm good to very good with electrical, but I stink at plumbing.  And this ain't a good time for that.  I'd like to put mustard on it and eat the fucking shit like Frank Rizzo, but alas.  I'm running around outside and inside keeping everything warm and flowing (like South Austin's Mom).  

I remember growing up in a working class neighborhood, there was one attorney a few blocks over in a much bigger house---Mr. Cusack.  And my mom made it a point to socialize with them and their kids so I'd know what lawyers did.  Now I live in a neighborhood with dozens of lawyers, work with hundreds of lawyers, hang out on this site with thousands of lawyers, and I'd trade 'em all for one honest plumber.  

Anyway, stay safe everyone.  The children shall be up soon and it's time to make snowmen.  I'm gonna use my leftover NYE fireworks for arms and I'm putting booze in my coffee.  .  We'll see where this goes.  

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This.  I'm decent with carpentry, I'm good to very good with electrical, but I stink at plumbing.  And this ain't a good time for that.  I'd like to put mustard on it and eat the fucking shit like Frank Rizzo, but alas.  I'm running around outside and inside keeping everything warm and flowing (like South Austin's Mom).  

I remember growing up in a working class neighborhood, there was one attorney a few blocks over in a much bigger house---Mr. Cusack.  And my mom made it a point to socialize with them and their kids so I'd know what lawyers did.  Now I live in a neighborhood with dozens of lawyers, work with hundreds of lawyers, hang out on this site with thousands of lawyers, and I'd trade 'em all for one honest plumber.  

Anyway, stay safe everyone.  The children shall be up soon and it's time to make snowmen.  I'm gonna use my leftover NYE fireworks for arms and I'm putting booze in my coffee.  .  We'll see where this goes.  

Only way to know if you have an honest plumber is to learn the basics of plumbing.  Friends of the owner calls get priority.  

So we've kept water running throughout the house and everything seems ok as of this morning, except for the water line from the fridge. I can't get any water out of that, so assuming that's not a great sign.

Do I need to disconnect the line from the fridge and try to thaw it somehow? The kitchen sink, which is right next to where the fridge is, has hot and cold just fine, so I'm a little surprised. Then again, I know nothing about plumbing.

Assuming hot and cold are fine elsewhere throughout the house, how concerning is no water from the fridge?

Too many lawyers and not enough plumbers on this site.

Well we didn’t get the “surly 1%” motto for nothing.

Everyone makes 100k(at least) and bangs 10s with absolutely no debt ever in their life.

“You actually make a car payment? You poor”.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah up here in harker heights some have been without power since yesterday.

But a lot, like me, are having blackouts every 7 minutes for a few seconds. It’s more annoying than anything since you can’t even watch something on tv in that time. We put the heater to 68 so of course every time the power goes off so does that, and it’s struggling.

Would rather just have the 40 min of no power than this every 7 minute shit.

I love our house, but this whole "spacious vaulted main living area" concept is less than ideal when you have to heat it against 10 degree temperatures. 

e-- thermostat is set at 65, that's about as good as it's going to get anyway but hopefully also it helps demand against the grid

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

ha- fucked myself.  Turned off the drip last night... apparently the combination of day drinking drifting into night drinking and my incessant desire to have the damn faucets turned off made habit take over.   I was forced to go into the attic in order move a refrigerator during a remodel a few years back.  It is wrapped in insulation and under a layer of roll insulation, but no water in the fridge ice maker tray this AM.  My drip fubar may be having a negative impact on my ice production.  Which in turn could have the disastrous outcome of reducing the potential quantity of alcoholic beverages until we thaw out.

Honestly happy as fuck I still have power this morning!  But damn my good habit bit me in the ass with the drip...