Texas deep freeze carnage thread

immamac

Welp, our power went out for good around noon after the freezing rain coated everything in a nice layer of fuck you. I just shut off our water at the street, figured with no heat inside the house I was bound to have pipe issues. I’ve got all the faucets opened up to bleed pressure and hoping for the best. 

Deep East Texas Co-op sent out a note saying the line damage is worse than after Katrina and Rita blew through and it might take 3 weeks before they can get to all of the repairs...

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

16 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Welp, our power went out for good around noon after the freezing rain coated everything in a nice layer of fuck you. I just shut off our water at the street, figured with no heat inside the house I was bound to have pipe issues. I’ve got all the faucets opened up to bleed pressure and hoping for the best. 

Deep East Texas Co-op sent out a note saying the line damage is worse than after Katrina and Rita blew through and it might take 3 weeks before they can get to all of the repairs...

You’re in Nac right? If you live off Appleby Sand are fucked unfortunately. I know this from first hand experience. 

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

70hours w/o power.  I'm fucking livid.

I'm at about 10 hours with no water and no heat and I'm about ready to burn down the Capitol and warm myself with its smoldering ashes.  I can only imagine how fucking pissed you must be.

But I guess I'll be to that point by middle of Saturday.

This is some bullshit.

Edited by TexArcher

1 hour ago, BottleRocket said:

Hey @Troph we're neighbors!  We live on TC Circle.  Just finished turning the water off on the City side manhole.  All pressure dropped to zero inside the house but I noticed the hose bib closest to the street still had water flow.  I double checked the City valve and sure enough had turned it 180 the wrong direction.  Could have been bad if I hadn't double checked everything.   Good to have you as a neighbor.  Let me know if you need anything.

We’re just opposite the private school on that main drive at least for the next 6 months or so.  We’ve been really lucky this week.  Nice hood we are enjoying it thus far.

17 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

You’re in Nac right? If you live off Appleby Sand are fucked unfortunately. I know this from first hand experience. 

Yup, out on Lake Nac.

What have you seen over there? We have some friends that live off of Appleby Sand that have been without power the whole time since Monday. 

• Like 1

My own family is sorta fucked - my parents in east Texas never lost power and water (gee having a grid shared with other states works, what a novel concept) so no issues there. My brother’s upstairs collapsed to his downstairs after three pipes burst. They have a lake house that looks destroyed and inhibitable without serious reconstruction-the walls have caved in.   
Yet reading all your posts is the saddest shit ever and makes me furious that no one will pay for this (needless) catastrophe. I wish I could help you all. Godspeed. Bright side i guess is it’s likely more than halfway through the crisis. 

Halfway through the cold bullshit? Yea..but these poor saps still have a ton of a pipes that haven’t even begun to thaw.

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

Yup, out on Lake Nac.

What have you seen over there? We have some friends that live off of Appleby Sand that have been without power the whole time since Monday. 

Oh I am in Pennsylvania now but had a house there while at SFA in 2001 during Allison. Power out for 2.5 weeks. 

• Like 2

so if I cut off the water(my water went out 8 hours ago) I should open up all the outside spigots along with internal faucets?  I've been team no drip and no check since Saturday.

I don't have power to heat them up if they are frozen.

Do I need to open back the street valve, then open inside faucets and outside spigots and then shut street valve closed?

6 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Just went out and turned off the main using the COA valve. I’ll need to get the property owner valve squared away after this.

Should I open a quarter turn when it seems like the water is back? I’ve never had to deal with this before.

Here is what I did and plan to do.  I don't know if it is right or wrong, but it is what makes sense to me.  I usually shut off my water at the owner side valve when I leave on extended vacations, so taking a similar approach here with the caveat that I shut down on the city's side of the meter this time, and I usually fire everything up without looking the place over for leaks and checking if the meter suggests a leak. 

1. Before opening the city valve, I am going to close the valve on my side of the meter.  Only reason for this is that it is a ball valve that I can more easily gradually open compared to the meter valve.  If I did not have access to the valve on my side I would not have a problem just opening the meter valve slowly.

2. Open exterior faucets and a few of the main faucets and tubs inside. 

3. Slowly open valve about 1/4 and then 1/2 turn, visually check flow to exterior faucets, but leave them running. Bleed air out of all remaining indoor faucets, and then close all indoor faucets. Check hot and cold side independently when bleeding out air. 

4. Open valve rest of way.  Close exterior faucets.

5.  Another round at bleeding interior faucets of any remaining air, give the system a few minutes to stabilize (fill toilets, hot water tanks, etc.)

6. Pray.

7. Once system stabilizes and all faucets are closed and hot water tanks are full, check the meter to see if ANY flow is coming through for sign of potential leak. Check known pipe locations for any signs of water leaks. Recheck meter for any flow.  If meter is turning at all with no obvious open faucet, could signal a leak. 

Probably a bit OCD, but that's what makes sense to me in this specific case.    

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

I was able to get my shower heads going, as well as a toilet and cold water line on a sink. Still can’t get the hot water line to that sink running.

Team no drip outside faucets, and will leave them at least until Saturday or Sunday unless I spot a leak.

I also have a fire sprinkler system in the house. Not much I can do about it. I believe the pipes are steel, so hopefully they handle the pressure better than copper. We shall see...

Have intermittent power and regular water, so I can’t really complain.

Sweet Jesus.  I have a fire sprinkler system, also.  With heads on the front and back porches and balconies.

Not a damn thing I could do, but apparently you can have them filled with antifreeze solution.

HOWEVER, sprinklers in non-conditioned spaces are supposed to be dry-pipe, meaning they aren't full of water until triggered.

This has probably already been posted somewhere, but CNN did a spot railing on Texas, with a clip of Beto talking about how ironic it is that the nation's energy leader can't heat its fucking homes.  It ended with a shot of Texarkana where the Arkansas side of the road was plowed and the Texas side wasn't.

I'm sorry, but if Texas is worse at anything than Arkansas, ever, with all of our resources, then fire everybody, even the fucking janitors.

• Hook 'Em 3

So I went outside today and looked up at my roof. I have a two tiered roof and the top one looks like it has an ice dam (thank you internet). It’s about 25 feet up. Wtf do I do?  Just hope it melts off?  We don’t have shit like this in texas. Normally. When it’s not the end times. 

What does that drip down to? Luckily mine goes into the garage and I noticed it today

It happened to me in the past when oak leaves would pile up and dam water. Of course on memorial weekend while out of town.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Here is what I did and plan to do.  I don't know if it is right or wrong, but it is what makes sense to me.  I usually shut off my water at the owner side valve when I leave on extended vacations, so taking a similar approach here with the caveat that I shut down on the city's side of the meter this time, and I usually fire everything up without looking the place over for leaks and checking if the meter suggests a leak. 

1. Before opening the city valve, I am going to close the valve on my side of the meter.  Only reason for this is that it is a ball valve that I can more easily gradually open compared to the meter valve.  If I did not have access to the valve on my side I would not have a problem just opening the meter valve slowly.

3. Slowly open valve about 1/4 and then 1/2 turn, visually check flow to exterior faucets, but leave them running. Bleed air out of all remaining indoor faucets, and then close all indoor faucets. Check hot and cold side independently when bleeding out air. 

5.  Another round at bleeding interior faucets of any remaining air, give the system a few minutes to stabilize (fill toilets, hot water tanks, etc.)

6. Pray.

7. Once system stabilizes and all faucets are closed and hot water tanks are full, check the meter to see if ANY flow is coming through for sign of potential leak. Check known pipe locations for any signs of water leaks. Recheck meter for any flow.  If meter is turning at all with no obvious open faucet, could signal a leak. 

#1 is like reading Latin to me. I’m so fucked. 

• Haha 1

This is what I’ve been wondering. The cost has to go to someone. What a shitshow

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/BC/htm/BC.17.htm#17.46

Sec. 17.46. DECEPTIVE TRADE PRACTICES UNLAWFUL. (a) False, misleading, or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce are hereby declared unlawful and are subject to action by the consumer protection division under Sections 17.47, 17.58, 17.60, and 17.61 of this code.

(b) Except as provided in Subsection (d) of this section, the term "false, misleading, or deceptive acts or practices" includes, but is not limited to, the following acts:

(27) subject to Section 17.4625, taking advantage of a disaster declared by the governor under Chapter 418, Government Code, or by the president of the United States by:

(A) selling or leasing fuel, food, medicine, lodging, building materials, construction tools, or another necessity at an exorbitant or excessive price; or

(B) demanding an exorbitant or excessive price in connection with the sale or lease of fuel, food, medicine, lodging, building materials, construction tools, or another necessity;

How is that not price gouging?

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/BC/htm/BC.17.htm#17.46
Sec. 17.46. DECEPTIVE TRADE PRACTICES UNLAWFUL. (a) False, misleading, or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce are hereby declared unlawful and are subject to action by the consumer protection division under Sections 17.47, 17.58, 17.60, and 17.61 of this code.
(b) Except as provided in Subsection (d) of this section, the term "false, misleading, or deceptive acts or practices" includes, but is not limited to, the following acts:
(27) subject to Section 17.4625, taking advantage of a disaster declared by the governor under Chapter 418, Government Code, or by the president of the United States by:
(A) selling or leasing fuel, food, medicine, lodging, building materials, construction tools, or another necessity at an exorbitant or excessive price; or
(B) demanding an exorbitant or excessive price in connection with the sale or lease of fuel, food, medicine, lodging, building materials, construction tools, or another necessity;

Please tell me that you aren’t a lawyer.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Updawg said:

What does that drip down to? Luckily mine goes into the garage and I noticed it today

It happened to me in the past when oak leaves would pile up and dam water. Of course on memorial weekend while out of town.

In theory, it drips down to the master bedroom, directly over the bed. Awesome. 

11 hours ago, Eastwood said:

So what's up with this energy spot price? I am on CPS, so it looks like they have some kind of variable model, but there is no way they expect middle class families to manage a several thousand dollar electric bill, right? This appears to be ERCOT's massive mistake, so no way should Texas citizens have to pay the bulk of it out of their pocket directly.

Of course the customer is going to foot the bill. It’s America, the little guy can get fucked.

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I have no power.  I assume when my water went out and then I closed the customer side main valve that there is still water in my water heater correct?  if it is gas am I good just leaving the water heater alone?

I think you would be OK leaving the water heater like that. It’d be safer if you closed the inlet and outlet valves to the water heater. That way you know the water will stay there. And leave it hot, assuming it’s gas. If it’s electric then drain it.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Eastwood said:

So what's up with this energy spot price? I am on CPS, so it looks like they have some kind of variable model, but there is no way they expect middle class families to manage a several thousand dollar electric bill, right? This appears to be ERCOT's massive mistake, so no way should Texas citizens have to pay the bulk of it out of their pocket directly.

I’m pretty sure that you are not gonna get a bill in the thousands. If the power company passes the cost down to you, it will be crazy high price for only a few days, not the whole month.

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

6. Pray.

Good instructions.

With zero water pressure, is cutting off at supply/street the consensus action to take at this point?  Pros?  Cons?

19 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I’m pretty sure that you are not gonna get a bill in the thousands. If the power company passes the cost down to you, it will be crazy high price for only a few days, not the whole month.

If the costs are that ridiculous; I’m guessing Texans can band together and just not fucking pay.  All I ever hear from the Governor is how Texans can band together and accomplish anything.  How about financially crippling electric and gas entities?  

if we can cripple the NYSE, I’m pretty sure I can fuck up Texas Gas Service for a month.  

On 2/17/2021 at 6:08 AM, Heisenberg said:

tl,dr:  (1) I am reduced to living like a savage.  I piss outside and shit in a 5-gallon bucket.

(2) La vida chupa, y luego te mueres.

Lift the lid of your toilet and put the opening of a 13 gallon trash bag around the lid.  It fits perfectly.  Replace and repeat.   

• Rage+1 1

On 2/16/2021 at 7:03 PM, TexasEd said:

I was team no drip outside and had them wrapped up like Luke on Hoth but they froze up anyway.  Had to use a Harbor Freight Heat Gun (also loaned to multiple neighbors) to get them unfrozen in 5 and 15 minutes respectively.  Was really worries about the 15 minute one.  Now I'm team drip.  Also dripping every faucet in the house by a wall and have the tankless water heater on circulate all night.

What’s the point of being team no drip?  Is there some sort of hazard that happens from dripping?  Explain it like I’m a 5 year old, I’m one of the dumbest people on here about anything involving being handy, taking care of shit etc. I’ve been dripping basically bc I was told to, but I’m not smart enough to understand why dripping might be a bad idea. 
thanks, I will hang up and listen.