Texas deep freeze carnage thread

immamac

I’ve spotted the busted copper piping in my tankless. Talked to someone and it’s not really repairable. I’ve ordered a new rinnai tankless but it won’t be here until next weekend so I have a guy seeing if he can acquire one earlier for me. Let me know if anyone has sources here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How to fix broken hose bib?
How to Fix a Leaky Hose Bib
  1. Turn off the water supply. Before replacing the packing washer, turn off the water supply. ...
  2. Remove the handle assembly. ...
  3. Remove the packing screw inside the handle assembly. ...
  4. Replace the packing washer and screw. ...
  5. Reassemble the faucet handle and tighten the packing nut. ...
  6. Restore the water supply.

It doesn't sound like you are here yet because you need to know what is leaking or broken so I'd leave it on so you can find out. Shut it off when you are ready. Also, it might not be a bad idea to turn on some inside faucets on that side of the house to let air escape. Maybe you can just lower the pressure from the main line valve some to go about this slowly? 
Edited by burntorangebongos
not an amateur plumber

24 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

I was team insulated cover for my outside taps.  The one on the N side burst or had a leak.  The tap is covered solid by ice in the shape of the cover.  Do I need to turn off water main at street before I use water to unfreeze block of ice surrounding tap?  Then turn back on to see what kind of leak I have?

This happened to my Dad. Ended up being an old cover and water must have got trapped in the cover at some point. I chipped the excess off and then covered with a towel and poured boiling water to defreeze. Flowed fine after a bit, no leaks. Good luck.

16 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Why is your propane shut off again? Was that done as some kind of precaution?

Community tank ran out. The have refilled the tank, but apparently to recharge the system they now have to come to each house individually and do a safety check. 

29 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I’ve spotted the busted copper piping in my tankless. Talked to someone and it’s not really repairable. I’ve ordered a new rinnai tankless but it won’t be here until next weekend so I have a guy seeing if he can acquire one earlier for me. Let me know if anyone has sources here.

Where on the setup was the busted pipe?  Did you shut yours off/drain it this week or?  We have a Rinnai as well and it's still my biggest worry once I turn the water back on later today.  

I’ve noticed there are quite a few restaurants open in my hood, including Whataburger.  How are they doing this without drinkable water?  Seems a little sketchy, but man I could use a burger.

edit, Whataburger is actually closed, but sonic on the other side of the street is open.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Meter is not moving when all faucets closed. So drain pipe leak?

Thats by far the most likely answer. I guess in theory it could be in the shower pipe post control valve or something. Either way a good sign. They can use their plumbing until a plumber becomes available. Just avoid that bathroom. (Im in the same boat, annoying, but overall feel lucky)

• Hook 'Em 1

Where on the setup was the busted pipe?  Did you shut yours off/drain it this week or?  We have a Rinnai as well and it's still my biggest worry once I turn the water back on later today.  

9aeb6bfc11167cac7d8c130aedafc993.jpg
762724c293961c1c44627d772ef61449.jpg

Pipe that was at the back of the actual water heater (not pipes below it)

Electricity went off Sunday night so never drained just did not have hot water all week. When I got electricity back Thur eve (because I think it has an electric ignition) I thawed the pipes with hair dryer which is what then sent water spewing.

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’ve noticed there are quite a few restaurants open in my hood, including Whataburger.  How are they doing this without drinkable water?  Seems a little sketchy, but man I could use a burger.

edit, Whataburger is actually closed, but sonic on the other side of the street is open.

Went to my local Running W in Houston.  They were serving burgers and what not but no drinks and no lettuce, tomato or unjin due to them requiring water for washing.  

30 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

This happened to my Dad. Ended up being an old cover and water must have got trapped in the cover at some point. I chipped the excess off and then covered with a towel and poured boiling water to defreeze. Flowed fine after a bit, no leaks. Good luck.

Opened some inside taps. Removed cover.  Poured room temp water on till ice pack gone, plus a couple of other buckets.  Opened tap.  No dribble or stream yet.  Watching and waiting.  No indications inside or outside of house of leaks, yet.

On 2/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, phdhorn said:

If you have sun-exposed bibs, unwrap 'em!  Yes.  The sun will do it's thing WAY better than us, even if < 32°.  If you get it to trickle, maybe you can relieve the pressure on the entire line.

If it doesn't, don't unwrap yet.  You can though when temp is >32°.  Even if no sun.  I've got my southern one off and the western one soon.

Be SURE to wrap again tonight, even tho freeze won't be terrible compared to this week.  Don't want to go back to step 1.

Checking in. Fully unwrapped and flowing this morning. I think it is safe to say we escaped unscathed in this house. 2017 Drees build FWIW.

Edited by used2b

I’m a bit freaked out about my AC unit. It’s on the north side of the house in pretty much constant shade and it’s completely iced over. Inside and out. There’s an insulated pipe, which I assume runs water when the AC runs, but there’s about a 6 inch section where the insulation is ripped and the pipe is exposed. Will I just have to wait until it’s time to run the AC in a few weeks to find out if it’s fucked?

As I was taking these pics, the fan kicked on, so I guess that part still works. 

769807B8-EE26-44CC-BED3-7374C5795B07.jpeg

B3029F05-C8DA-40AC-AF4A-3D9CBE8D9741.jpeg

122B73E0-4BCF-4CB2-8433-E42F3FDF47F5.jpeg

As pointed out upthread, it was more a gibe at our Ag Commissioner than at farms or farmers.

Yeah, I was only responding to the part from Cornfusion. Tapa fucked the formatting.
Dairy farming being difficult physical labor for the underpaid frontline worker doesn’t mean big ag doesn’t get a fuckload of federal subsidies.
I guess I have never run into many corporate owned farms in Wisconsin or Nebraska and those are the only places I have been on dairy farms.  All were family owned and operated.  I would say you paint with a way too broad brush though, my friend.

I mean, again, I’m not even saying you’re wrong. I’m saying it’s not mutually exclusive with the face that big agribusiness rolls in subsidies and corporations will be the primary concern in Texas. Family owned dairy farms in Wisconsin or Nebraska doesn’t mean that isn’t true. You’re telling me I’m painting with a broad brush while citing experience from out of state that doesn’t even rebut the statement you originally responded to. There’s not much I can do with that.

Edit: fucking tapa again lol

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’m a bit freaked out about my AC unit. It’s on the north side of the house in pretty much constant shade and it’s completely iced over. Inside and out. There’s an insulated pipe, which I assume runs water when the AC runs, but there’s about a 6 inch section where the insulation is ripped and the pipe is exposed. Will I just have to wait until it’s time to run the AC in a few weeks to find out if it’s fucked?

As I was taking these pics, the fan kicked on, so I guess that part still works. 

First of all, definitely do not run the fan if it's frozen.

That copper tube it what carries your coolant, not water, and they aren't worry to burst since its freon or R-22 running through them. Just let it thaw out on its own which shouldnt be an issue since running your AC wouldnt be necessary anyway right now. Those things are fine with cold weather even if they freeze a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

First of all, definitely do not run the fan if it's frozen.

That copper tube it what carries your coolant, not water, and they aren't worry to burst since its freon or R-22 running through them. Just let it thaw out on its own which shouldnt be an issue since running your AC wouldnt be necessary anyway right now. Those things are fine with cold weather even if they freeze a bit.

Thanks. I mean, the fan is running because of the heater right?  So presumably it’s been running this whole time?

Thanks. I mean, the fan is running because of the heater right?  So presumably it’s been running this whole time?
The thing I would worry about is your defrost sensor might be shot. It's supposed to detect that the line is frozen and go into defrost mode. When mine does that, the fan doesn't spin and the compressor runs, which heats up everything until you're thawed out, then goes back into heat pump mode. Then it flushes the whole system out, cooling it, and start the process over from scratch. It gets real hot in defrost mode. During the freeze, mine would billow steam and I could see water evaporating right off of the compressor.

You might want to pop open the blower and see if the coils are frozen in the house. If so, then you might have a problem. If it's just frozen outside, you might be okay. Either way, getting a tech out might be difficult. If the coils are frozen inside, shut the outside down by turning the system off, but keep the fan on to aid in defrosting the inside coils. You might be able to save the compressor if it is just a sensor or the switch shorted out and welded itself into the on position.

Edit to clarify: keep the inside fan on, be sure to turn off the breaker before opening up the blower inside.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

No the fan and heat pump are independent of each other. Heat pump runs air from the vents like your AC but doesn't need to cycle out warm air or cycle in coolant. So the fan shouldn't technically run when using just heat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Where are you?

59 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Small amount of clarification in a single post.  That is your "compressor" or "condensor" unit.  The only fluid flowing in and out of that enclosure is "freon."  The fan at the top keeps air moving around the compressor below it, which generates a lot of heat when it's operating.

That unit receives vapor/gaseous freon from your air handler, compresses it into liquid and sends it back.  In the coil portion of your air handler, the compressed freon is expanded back into gas, which flows through the coil and cools the air and the previous cycle repeats.

Your air handler has a fan or blower.  That is what moves air around your house, not the fan on the compressor.  Your air handler also includes the previously mentioned coil, which is used for cooling, and a furnance (gas burners) or heating element (if electric).  If your ac is on, the coil is active and the furnace dormant.  If your heat is on, vice-versal  The blower blows the air over whichever is active and circulates the heated/cooled air using your ducts to your vents.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What fan are you talking about? The fan in the furnace or the fan in the condensing unit (the metal box you took a picture of)?

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

First, take a shot/xanax/toke/relaxer of choice and chill. The outside unit does not have a water drain. What you are seeing is just winter storm accumulation. The inside unit is what produces condensation. You are good to go once everything melts.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Condensing unit. 

Keep an eye/ear on the fan. We were out playing in the snow with our three year old a few days ago and noticed our elderly neighbor's unit was completely encased and had accumulated enough ice inside the unit to block the fan blades from spinning. It wasn't happy. I cleared all the ice off and out of the unit and unblocked the fan blade for him, and it resumed normal operation immediately, but if we hadn't been out playing on that particular side of the house, we'd have never noticed it. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

Went to my local Running W in Houston.  They were serving burgers and what not but no drinks and no lettuce, tomato or unjin due to them requiring water for washing.  

P-Terry’s by me only serving food and shakes, no fountain drinks. I’m gonna hope they boiled water to clean veggies. Bar far the longest lines i’ve ever seen, but so good to be out of the house.

We wrapped the heck out of our pipes outside and dripped water , left opened cabinets. Shut main water off sunday. We got back today and no damage. Power on and water flowing. We are extremely lucky and fortunate. Having family over so they can take hot showers. Lost power monday at 2am, didnt get anything back till Wednesday night.
This whole no power, no water and lack of being prepared by our elected "officials " is completely inexcusable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

Follow up on my frozen outside tap.  I tried several buckets of water to no avail.  I used a hair dryer inside the garage (opened up some of the sheet rock) and on the tap itself.  Still no luck  Left it open and opened some inside for pressure release, and after a couple of hours of warming temperatures, it started flowing naturally.  Turned off, it has a very slight drip.  Will replace packing washer per bongos rec.  Thanks, all.

Will be team drip next go around.

Edited by abuelo gringo

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

You’re fine. When i lived up north mine was under a mound of snow about 1/4th of the year. Just dont start it until everything melts. 

My sister had a small kitchen fire at her place on Thursday. Her daughter was using the stove when they lost power for two days. Once power was restored the forgotten burner turned  back on and set an oven mit on fire and melted the microwave above. On top of that she had busted water pipes. Spent the morning helping her clean up and what not.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Small amount of clarification in a single post.  That is your "compressor" or "condensor" unit.  The only fluid flowing in and out of that enclosure is "freon."  The fan at the top keeps air moving around the compressor below it, which generates a lot of heat when it's operating.

That unit receives vapor/gaseous freon from your air handler, compresses it into liquid and sends it back.  In the coil portion of your air handler, the compressed freon is expanded back into gas, which flows through the coil and cools the air and the previous cycle repeats.

Your air handler has a fan or blower.  That is what moves air around your house, not the fan on the compressor.  Your air handler also includes the previously mentioned coil, which is used for cooling, and a furnance (gas burners) or heating element (if electric).  If your ac is on, the coil is active and the furnace dormant.  If your heat is on, vice-versal  The blower blows the air over whichever is active and circulates the heated/cooled air using your ducts to your vents.

I suppose I should caveat by saying this is how standard air conditioning works.  Unless for some reason you turned on cool and your thermostat malfunctioned, there is absolutely no reason for your compressor or its fan to be running in these conditions.

If your ac is a "heat pump," thing work a little differently and I have no direct experience with them.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We are lined up with WH installs for the next 10 days last I checked.

Same.  I ordered 25 today.  Friday, today, tomorrow and all of next week have been capping lines, fixing leaks, etc.  Just need to get water to some people.  Starting installs March 1 and we're booked through the month.  Incredible.  

Ive got a busted pipe somewhere in the ceiling, water turned off since Wed.  Plumber that i use all the time orignally said he could make it Fri, then sat.... today I called and they told me, maybe Mon, or Tues...   I get it, they are overwhelmed, but I get the feeling its gonna be another week before he is gonna make it. 

the water damage is really contained to the master bath,  so as long I can turn the water back on and wash some clothes and take a shower, I am fine..... but the pipe isnt in an easy spot to fix without some experience. 

I'm interested to hear if anyone had an issue resulting from an ice dam.  Our roof snow and ice mostly melted today and I guess we have enough ventilation at our eaves that it wasn't an issue.  Was talking to a neighbor who lived in Colorado for 30 years and have never heard of such a thing being a problem.