Texas deep freeze carnage thread

immamac

Hey,@Paco ... well / pump house dealio.

What's the "official" name for this part... the pipe.

Has a backflow prevention thing inside (L side), threaded female on both ends.
Has PSI gauge & the electrical switch control.

Also... there is some condensation inside the PSI gauge. Is that a problem?0b562e4ccc99827840471b77cf3e29ab.jpg70a26cc96811f9ddd68fe1ddcce0cd03.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hey,[mention=453]Paco[/mention] ... well / pump house dealio.

Also... there is some condensation inside the PSI gauge. Is that a problem?0b562e4ccc99827840471b77cf3e29ab.jpg70a26cc96811f9ddd68fe1ddcce0cd03.jpg

That's the pressure switch body. The freeze fucked up pressure switches and gauges aplenty. A little condensation in the gauge won't hurt, but I'd replace it anyway if you're working on the pressure switch.
  • Hook 'Em 1

@Paco, If all I need is this "PSB", should it cost $ two fitty fuckin' Ameros?  Or are they trying to sell me the electrical parts as well, assuming they can be separated?  I imagine the backflow preventer inside is available separate, however it is prob. a good idea to R&R considering it's a minimum of 20 years old & I'm already fucking around with these parts anyhow.

Edited by ROFL BOX

4 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Fuck, man. I pulled into the house after dropping my kid off and saw a bunch of water coming out of my little fenced in area off the garage that has one A/C unit and my trash bins and a water spigot. Immediately started freaking out only to open it up and realize that was just the drain that comes out of my utility room working as intended. Didn't need that heart attack this morning but I'm awake now at least.

Heart attack while dropping the kids off at the pool is how Elvis died.

• Like 2

Probably selling you the whole pressure switch assembly (body, switch, gauge). Not sure if you can get the just the body itself without going to Austin pump or someplace like that. And they're not real sweet on the general public coming in there, especially right now.

4 hours ago, drt said:

Pretty sure it was in this thread somewhere.  Basically someone said buy https://www.amazon.com/FLIR-One-Thermal-Imager-For/dp/B0728C7KND and use it to look for unexpected temp differentials to identify leaks.

Correct, FLIR is not made specifically for leak detection, but for thermal detection between temperatures down to a half degree difference. A cold water, or hot water leak will show a footprint on drywall.

CHIEF

Probably selling you the whole pressure switch assembly (body, switch, gauge). Not sure if you can get the just the body itself without going to Austin pump or someplace like that. And they're not real sweet on the general public coming in there, especially right now.
See pic... seems I need one with a 3rd port for the PSI gauge? $ 18.

No dope, only TefTape for all threads, don't want something to break off & get into the backflow, yeah?b7bcd4aec436eec2cd324af0e3ead8bb.jpg

On 2/21/2021 at 2:31 PM, Lobo said:

^

Good catch.  Even with high-end washers, the valve assembly is often done on the cheap. That was another thing that worried me yesterday because our inlet valve and where the supply hoses, etc. all that faces a Northern wall that gets really freakin' cold.  Usually it's nice and toasty because the dryer vent is right next door, but with no power we tried to insulate it outside and inside as best we could with pillows/cushions.  Thankfully no cracking once I flushed it.  But then...we haven't done a full load of laundry yet due to the water notice and just trying to be good neighbors for those behind us with no water yet.  

How long is your anticipated delivery on that?  We likely have different models but curious if there's a run on those right now.  I may try to proactively order

It actually ended up being not just the crack in the plastic casing on the water intake valve. The touchpad on the front must've gotten wet when that valve cracked and was spraying water. The touchpad and knob on the front were acting like they were possessed. The power button was changing the water temperature settings. Start wasn't doing anything. Couldn't reboot the touchpad. So we went ahead and got a new Samsung washer dryer set coming on Friday. I gave it the old college try. I'm trying to get someone to redo the drywall and area around the washer connections as it got wet and soft. I'm not sure how long the water was spraying out the back. Have a guy supposedly coming to the house later today to give it a look. 

Also... for inside the center check valve... is this what I need for the back-flow thing that goes inside?

image.thumb.png.802c5b027fb81f2ed8cd5683153cb120.png
That I don't know. I've only used the two port body above, never had to put anything inside. One port for switch, one for gauge. But I'm a well pump novice at best.
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It actually ended up being not just the crack in the plastic casing on the water intake valve. The touchpad on the front must've gotten wet when that valve cracked and was spraying water. The touchpad and knob on the front were acting like they were possessed. The power button was changing the water temperature settings. Start wasn't doing anything. Couldn't reboot the touchpad. So we went ahead and got a new Samsung washer dryer set coming on Friday. I gave it the old college try. I'm trying to get someone to redo the drywall and area around the washer connections as it got wet and soft. I'm not sure how long the water was spraying out the back. Have a guy supposedly coming to the house later today to give it a look. 

Shoot, Can I buy your previous set from you?

received this email from Texas Gas today. guess we'll see what that spike in natural gas pricing did to the Feb gas bill. doubt they would send that out if the average bill was only going to be 5% higher. My gas bill usually aint shit, but it may be this month. 

Will my bill be higher?
Your bill may be higher based on the amount of gas you used during the historic cold temperatures. 

Your monthly bill is a combination of the amount of gas you use and the cost of gas. The extreme weather caused many customers to use more gas for heating their homes than they may have in prior years. The higher amount of gas used will be reflected on your bill, regardless of the price of gas. While we do not markup the price of natural gas, these events will have an impact on customer bills. If you conserved energy during the weather event, your bill will most likely be lower than it would have been otherwise.

How much will my bill increase?
Honestly, it’s too early to tell. At this time, we can’t quantify what the impact on customer bills will be. We experienced much higher natural gas demand which resulted in a significant increase in natural gas market prices on a portion of the supply we purchased during this period.

What are you doing to help reduce the impact to customer bills?
Unlike some other utilities, Texas Gas Service has the ability to work with our regulators to spread these high gas costs out over several months. 

The Railroad Commission of Texas has issued an accounting order that authorizes utilities to defer extraordinary costs, including natural gas costs, associated with the recent extreme winter weather event.

If you have concerns when you get your bill, we will work with you to help find options for payment. There are a number of payment options and resources that we offer customers, and we will commit to doing what we can to help you.

15 minutes ago, Blotto said:

received this email from Texas Gas today. guess we'll see what that spike in natural gas pricing did to the Feb gas bill. doubt they would send that out if the average bill was only going to be 5% higher. My gas bill usually aint shit, but it may be this month. 

That note= 

HyHT.gif

Will my bill be higher?
Your bill may be higher based on the amount of gas you used during the historic cold temperatures. 

Your monthly bill is a combination of the amount of gas you use and the cost of gas. The extreme weather caused many customers to use more gas for heating their homes than they may have in prior years. The higher amount of gas used will be reflected on your bill, regardless of the price of gas. While we do not markup the price of natural gas, these events will have an impact on customer bills. If you conserved energy during the weather event, your bill will most likely be lower than it would have been otherwise.

How much will my bill increase?
Honestly, it’s too early to tell. At this time, we can’t quantify what the impact on customer bills will be. We experienced much higher natural gas demand which resulted in a significant increase in natural gas market prices on a portion of the supply we purchased during this period.

What are you doing to help reduce the impact to customer bills?
Unlike some other utilities, Texas Gas Service has the ability to work with our regulators to spread these high gas costs out over several months. 

The Railroad Commission of Texas has issued an accounting order that authorizes utilities to defer extraordinary costs, including natural gas costs, associated with the recent extreme winter weather event.

If you have concerns when you get your bill, we will work with you to help find options for payment. There are a number of payment options and resources that we offer customers, and we will commit to doing what we can to help you.

Time to bend over. These next rounds of bills are going to suck.

Holy shit

Sorry if already discussed, but there is really an energy company in Houston called Griddy? ....this guy fucked around trying to save some money and then...

[quote]

Adrian Soto, a 40-year-old restau­rant server who lives in a 700-square-foot apart­ment south of Hous­ton, signed up for Griddy En­ergy LLC, which gives cus-tomers ac­cess to whole­sale power prices in ex­change for a flat monthly charge.

Usu­ally, this means low bills. But last week, he was strapped on to the buck­ing bronco of the state’s power mar­ket. He lost power for two and a half days dur­ing the deep freeze. Hav­ing it on for the re­main­der was enough to push his monthly charges above $1,100.[/quote]

Holy shit
Sorry if already discussed, but there is really an energy company in Houston called Griddy? ....this guy fucked around trying to save some money and then...

Adrian Soto, a 40-year-old restau­rant server who lives in a 700-square-foot apart­ment south of Hous­ton, signed up for Griddy En­ergy LLC, which gives cus-tomers ac­cess to whole­sale power prices in ex­change for a flat monthly charge.
Usu­ally, this means low bills. But last week, he was strapped on to the buck­ing bronco of the state’s power mar­ket. He lost power for two and a half days dur­ing the deep freeze. Hav­ing it on for the re­main­der was enough to push his monthly charges above $1,100.

Griddy canceled the Houston rodeo.
  • Haha 1

I went to buy a packing nut washer and they don't sell that at home depot. The guy told me I needed a hardware store and there is only an Ace about 3 miles away and I don't know if they carry it anyway. I'd have to hit a Ferguson over near St. Elmo or somewhere way over there. Fuck that.  He said they sell the whole bib, so just replace it. I didn't know the size or whether male or female so I bought 4 and took them home. It turns out it is a 1/2 inch female. I don't know that I have the right wrench or strength to undo the old faucet but I at least have the right replacement and I can take the other 3 back. I'll give this a try tomorrow after I watch some you tubes. Maybe this is way easier, especially if I figure out what is the best tool to use.  

12 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Hey,@Paco ... well / pump house dealio.

looks like a check valve?

The pic you post downthread is it, but I don't see any with that third hole where your gauge is. Buy the two-hole and and a brass street 90 for your gauge.

I don't know what the air valve would be that you posted. That part by your boot is a check valve so water doesn't run back into the well when it isn't ain't running. To save space they make them with threaded ports for your pressure switch.

Edited by GringoSalado

9 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I went to buy a packing nut washer and they don't sell that at home depot. The guy told me I needed a hardware store and there is only an Ace about 3 miles away and I don't know if they carry it anyway. I'd have to hit a Ferguson over near St. Elmo or somewhere way over there. Fuck that.  He said they sell the whole bib, so just replace it. I didn't know the size or whether male or female so I bought 4 and took them home. It turns out it is a 1/2 inch female. I don't know that I have the right wrench or strength to undo the old faucet but I at least have the right replacement and I can take the other 3 back. I'll give this a try tomorrow after I watch some you tubes. Maybe this is way easier, especially if I figure out what is the best tool to use.  

The Home Depot guy was full of it, you can buy faucet repair kits there that have all the washers you need.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Parts-Faucet-Parts-Faucet-Washers/N-5yc1vZc6a6

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you're not an aggy it takes about 5 minutes to replace a hose bib if you have a crescent wrench and locking pliers  

and teflon tape.

This guy gets a little crazy with the teflon tape.  4 wraps should be plenty and he should have cleaned off the old tape first but this video should walk you thru it @burntorangebongos.

Edited by Ten Bears
  • Hook 'Em 2

So tankless exterior water heater seems like a fucking bad idea. Anyone else out for hot water for who knows how many weeks?

Tech came by and said it's just the inlet t- pipe that's cracked, but getting that part will take longer than getting a whole new unit. At several thousand $, a new unit doesn't even meet the deductible, so guess it'll be cold showers and no dishwasher for what will seem like forever. FML

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I have that white tape! I call it plumbers tape so good to know the real name. I hope I have the strength to remove the bib. Hopefully it isn't screwed on tight and I can't budge it. Thanks all. 

Let me know if I need to send my guy over there for an assist; he lives in Spicewood.  Throw him a $ 10 spot or flash your bongos @ him... leave me out of it other than passing on your phone #.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

So tankless exterior water heater seems like a fucking bad idea. Anyone else out for hot water for who knows how many weeks?

Tech came by and said it's just the inlet t- pipe that's cracked, but getting that part will take longer than getting a whole new unit. At several thousand $, a new unit doesn't even meet the deductible, so guess it'll be cold showers and no dishwasher for what will seem like forever. FML

I had cracked pipes leading into my unit and busted copper pipes in the unit so had to replace everything. Plumber I used was able to get one earlier that the one I purchased myself so water has finally been restored and my odds of getting lucky have greatly increased.

I'm now going to have a extra Rinnai exterior/natural gas unit delivered this weekend if anyone here needs one. PM me if you are interested in purchasing.

10 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

according to this article... the entire Texas grid was 4 mins and 37 seconds away from complete and total collapse that probably would have lasted a month or more. 

we were literally less than 5 mins away from the entire state becoming a 4th world country.

Seems like we may want to look into hooking into the other two grids.  But that's just me.

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seems like we may want to look into hooking into the other two grids.  But that's just me.

just like Slick Rick, i would rather die of extreme cold and lack of potable water with no federal regulation on our energy grid on my feet rather than live in an electrically stable temperature controlled home drinking safe water on my knees after kowtowing to federal regulation.  But you pussies do what you want

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Without further information, I'm not sure being hooked into anyone else's grid really is a solution here.  Seems just as likely to spread the problem as to solve ours.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Without further information, I'm not sure being hooked into anyone else's grid really is a solution here.  Seems just as likely to spread the problem as to solve ours.

So what you're saying is we can drag everyone down along with us & speed the end times?  I'm possibly down with that idea.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Should/can I try to fix thus myself or just call a plumber/irrigation guy? Part impossible to find?

50B1F05A-24BA-449D-A50C-57C39FCF43A7.thumb.jpeg.f06552db098a61eef9c63661fdef4bdb.jpeg

I have the exact same crack in my valve. My irrigation guy says the part is on back order. I turned my water off at the valve and then bled the device. I was unable to turn the water off below that point hence the broken valve.

I don’t know why you would look anywhere other than South Austin’s mom for a nut washer. Always my go to.
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I have the exact same crack in my valve. My irrigation guy says the part is on back order. I turned my water off at the valve and then bled the device. I was unable to turn the water off below that point hence the broken valve.

If you’re in Houston I got your guy. Replaced mine for $225 yesterday and he confirmed that they’re basically gone in Texas and not to expect them soon because of demand.  With new home building picking back up in the north soon, and all the damages in Texas, you won’t see them for months. This guy bought 50 early last week knowing they were going to fly off the shelves.

FYI the company that makes these, supplies like 90% of the ones in the US. Ticker symbol is WTS, you’re welcome. 

48 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

If you’re in Houston I got your guy. Replaced mine for $225 yesterday and he confirmed that they’re basically gone in Texas and not to expect them soon because of demand.  With new home building picking back up in the north soon, and all the damages in Texas, you won’t see them for months. This guy bought 50 early last week knowing they were going to fly off the shelves.

FYI the company that makes these, supplies like 90% of the ones in the US. Ticker symbol is WTS, you’re welcome. 

PM sent.

I think your guy is trying to make you feel better about the NLAA fucking he gave you.

I picked one up for less than $30 yesterday at Sprinkler Warehouse on Jackrabbit Rd.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My parents in BFE East Texas never lost power or water cause they’re in the LA shared grid. They lose power on 70 degree April days sometimes since all lines are through dense pine trees. Sharing works. 

• Hook 'Em 1