Texas deep freeze carnage thread

immamac

Yes, but fortunately the water will put out the explosion. I have the same set up and property company wrapped just the faucet. I went out and insulated it a bit more and am dripping it. You are south of me, so not worried too much about tonight. 

I actually wrapped this one with a pool noodle and foil and had a cooler over it with a light bulb. Still wasn't enough. Too late to drip it now.

Anyone know if I open up my other outdoor faucets to drip, will that take pressure out of the system?

4 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
27 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:
How much will y'all give me to drop a mix tape?

These are desperate times, Shank. We're going to need more. Time to start slamming back Dart Bowl enchiladas and Wolf Brand chili. Be our warmth.

How's me enjoying some Bud Light work for you?

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I actually wrapped this one with a pool noodle and foil and had a cooler over it with a light bulb. Still wasn't enough. Too late to drip it now.

Anyone know if I open up my other outdoor faucets to drip, will that take pressure out of the system?

heat gun

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Saw this on Twitter:

EuMvRREXUAoSajk?format=jpg&name=medium

Hey, Eric:  if my garage fridge/freezer hints at anything like, "Will think...", I'm gonna fucking shoot it.  This is how SkyNet becomes self-aware, not with computers, but with Texas beer fridges in a sustained freeze.  Remember how they killed the Terminator in T2?  I ain't fucking around.  

Also, we resorted everything inside so we could make room for everything from the garage fridge and just unplugged it and put the beer/alcohol in coolers in the garage.  I need that outlet free anyway because it's where I put a space heater inside to keep the 1 of the 4 outside faucets that has the tendency to drip.  So it's a win-win.  Or a lose-lose, we'll see what happens with the freeze and the robots. 

17 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Back on topic, is BL keeping the 4runner, or do we need to fill it with crap gifs?

Pictures have been sent to a couple of my wife's friends who's husbands own body shops. Less than 4k will fix. More and I'll get something else. Found a great landcruiser in San Antonio that I may have to get.

• Like 1

Another tip:

On your garage door(s) (esp. north facing like mine) stuff a few beach towels on the sides - blocks a huge amt. of wind-driven subarctic air in.

However:

Uh, don't forget to take towels out before opening door.  Will be a bad mess.  And it's not my fault if you don't.

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Another tip:

On your garage door(s) (esp. north facing like mine) stuff a few beach towels on the sides - blocks a huge amt. of wind-driven subarctic air in.

However:

Uh, don't forget to take towels out before opening door.  Will be a bad mess.  And it's not my fault if you don't.

I want to do this and thoughts about it several days ago.  But I can't.  Inevitably my wife or kids would hit the garage door opener and everything would be fucked.  I just have to accept the air penetration since my family is incapable of paying attention to details.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m draining my lines this evening and going without running water for a day or two. Will fill up the bathtub to store toilet flushing water and a couple of portable water jugs for hand-washing. We have a long stretch of pipe running on an exterior wall that will be impossible to keep from freezing the next two nights during what will be a 4-day spell of below freezing temperatures, especially considering the decent likelihood of a power outage if we see any snow or ice.

good luck brother. was that a pier and beam or a slab? either way I think its the right call cutting the water off. just a few days (hopefully)

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

I drove over to my mother-in-law's and borrowed a space heater. I have it blasting the wall behind the washer. Hopefully this will do the trick.

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

I did the laundry yesterday and thought I'd wash the bedding today, just to keep the pipes clear. No water to the washing machine. The showers, dishwasher and all faucets are fine, just nothing to the washer. The pipes go into the wall in the laundry room, no chance to do any preventive measures, nor can I see a way to thaw them out. I don't know if anything has burst in the wall, it's been below freezing here for days here in central OK. But it worked fine all day yesterday, so I'm stumped. 

How can I thaw this out when I can't see or reach any pipes?

Just be aware that when it thaws, it may burst. The frozen section could just be plugging the whole. Have your water shutoff as accessible as possible. I've had this happen in my laundry room twice. Eventually decided to just leave the hole in the wall and put a vent covering over it. 

• Fuck You 1

52 minutes ago, swraith said:

I want to do this and thoughts about it several days ago.  But I can't.  Inevitably my wife or kids would hit the garage door opener and everything would be fucked.  I just have to accept the air penetration since my family is incapable of paying attention to details.

take off the opener for manual operation

2 hours ago, swraith said:

protip - you can lock the garage door opener from the wall unit.  I do it when we leave on vacation

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, staboner said:

good luck brother. was that a pier and beam or a slab? either way I think its the right call cutting the water off. just a few days (hopefully)

Bailed on this plan. When we turned the water off, nothing drained. Turn it back on and faucets immediately start running. That means the lines are full. Seems like a bad idea to just let full pipes site with no movement or hot water running through. 

Gonna take our chances with dripping through the house and trying to heat external pipes as best we can.

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Bailed on this plan. When we turned the water off, nothing drained. Turn it back on and faucets immediately start running. That means the lines are full. Seems like a bad idea to just let full pipes site with no movement or hot water running through. 

Gonna take our chances with dripping through the house and trying to heat external pipes as best we can.

That seems odd.  Good luck.  I assume that "exterior pipe" you worry about is inside the veneer and insulation?

3 hours ago, elfenix said:
5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:
Just put the contents outside in an open cooler until the great thaw of 2021 comes. Not one of my beers is inside right now. Hell, I am afraid they might freeze. 

Best thing about a cold snap is reaching out onto the porch to grab a cold beer.

I have a cases of Yuengling in a big yeti outside. I freeze used plastic bottles from tea or soda for ice. Last time I put some in there was 2 days ago. I just took them out and they are frozen solid. Not a bit of thaw. So now there is absolutely no ice in the cooler.

Still, I’m thinking I’m going to have to bring the cooler inside. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I'm somewhat fucked if the power goes, as the house I'm living in has one of those sealed up fireplaces. I guess I'll keep an eye out the front window for a fat person strolling by that I can use as an emergency tauntaun.

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Yeah, I'm somewhat fucked if the power goes, as the house I'm living in has one of those sealed up fireplaces. I guess I'll keep an eye out the front window for a fat person strolling by that I can use as an emergency tauntaun.

They might want to use you as a food source.

I'd pay to watch that fight to the death.