Eggs

Buzzrock

We had two different neighbors give us eggs this week, so now I have two dozen fresh laid eggs. I made a simple breakfast sandwich with one today and it was damn good, but I feel like I should do something special with these.

I really like doing to the prosciutto, egg, and parm in a muffin pan thing (I don’t know if they have a name, we call them breakfast cupcakes). I was looking at shakshuka / eggs in purgatory recipes and those look good. I’m not a huge frittata fan (the eggs seem over cooked).

What are your favorite make-at-home egg dishes?

• Like 1

I do a lot of lazy omelettes. Sautée whatever veggies we have around, whisk some eggs, pour them on top, throw in cheese and spices and you have a hell of a breakfast. Super versatile. You can eat as is, or throw in a tortilla.

The best is when you fry up bacon and do the eggs in the grease

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

just made a sausage patty, egg omelet of onion/mushroom sandwich. Quarter pound of regular ground pork, added some syrup along with other spices, then toasted normal double fiber bread. The eggs though, holy shit I need to find some better options up here in the city. Prices are insane for average eggs and "AA" ones are non-existent except for at costco and they are only medium size. Was just home in Austin and the options/prices blew my mind. 

Anyway, just saw on IG that a hs friend started a new chicken coop business in Austin and if I'm ever back I'll try to get some from her. Did not know egg shells can be so blue-ish.  

A lot of times I will fry some bacon or brown some sausage.  Heat up some refried beans.  Beans in the bottom of a bowl, followed by the meat.  Then I fry a few eggs over easy in the leftover grease and put on top of all of that.  Garnish with some avocado, green onion or sautee a white onion.  Layer on hot sauce of your choice.  Easy and tasty.  

The most underrated cuisine in the world

https://istanbulonfood.com/menemen-recipe/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menemen_(food)

sometimes i do spanish tortilla (omelette, not flatbread), a la Jose Andres

So scrambled eggs with tomatoes & peppers? 

Yeah I feel like I’m missing something, especially for the most underrated cuisine in the world.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah I feel like I’m missing something, especially for the most underrated cuisine in the world.

It’s a variant of shakshouka, which is what you mentioned as something you wanted to try. 

Is your goal to to make the most fanciful dish ever? Ham and cheese (“prosciutto and parm”) isn’t exactly exotic either….

my dad on occasion will bring a couple dozen yard eggs when he visits. i have made a potato, onion and asparagus frittata with feta. obviously cube and cook the potatoes first. i like the stove-top method, just make sure your pan is really well oiled and cook on low to med-low. 

It’s a variant of shakshouka, which is what you mentioned as something you wanted to try. 

Is your goal to to make the most fanciful dish ever? Ham and cheese (“prosciutto and parm”) isn’t exactly exotic either….

How is scrambled eggs with diced vegetables a variant on eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce? I mean they both have eggs I guess.

You’re the one who was getting all hyperbolic, not me.

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

What the hell is that and where is the recipe?

That's a variant on a croque madame.  This particular one was on a baguette, which I thought looked pretty tasty, rather than the more traditional sliced bread.  I'd probably go with more than one fried egg though, on such a large sandwich roll.

Here's the recipe, I hope your French isn't too rusty. :)

http://recettes-vegetariennes.over-blog.com/2016/07/baguette-croque-madame-vegetarien.html?utm_source=_ob_share&utm_medium=_ob_pinterest&utm_campaign=_ob_sharebar

• Hook 'Em 1

Scotched eggs are a favorite, takes a little effort so I don't do them often, breakfast tacos much easier/quicker. Before we moved south used to go to Chez Zee in Austin on weekends and always had the eggs commodore. Basically just eggs benedict with sausage instead of Canadian bacon, but was damn good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/13/2021 at 8:42 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

The best is when you fry up bacon and do the eggs in the grease

Bacon Fried Rice with Poofy Thai Eggs

-make rice night or days before. leave un covered in fridge (dry rice is best for fried rice)

-Fry bacon with added oil (veg, canola, anything high heat). You want an unhealthy amount of fat left for the eggs after. remove bacon, drain, dice/cut up.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/thai-style-omelet-khai-jiao.html

- Ten seconds after the eggs flip, add bacon and rice and toss, breaking up the eggs and coating the rice in all the fatty goodness.

- top with green onions or chives if you want to pretend it's healthy.

20120217-193343-thai-omelet-flipped.jpg

no pics but it ain't rocket science. The little bit of acid tangy from the thai eggs is awesome with the bacons bacon-ness. The egg texture varies from crispy edges to soft. 

• Like 1