Maalikmas 2.0! - 2022 QB Maalik Murphy

mdmost

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Pretty sure the 6-6 on TDs is in his second game. These guys are wearing different jerseys than the first clips Roach was posting. 

Yeah it's definitely a different game - I'd just assumed he'd meant overall since he hasn't shared 6 scoring clips of this game I think. 

Rick Nueheisel on his XM show was playing right into this.. "Murphy comes from a powerhouse program, etc... but it feels like Texas and Sark conceited to tosu and threw the towel on Ewers, I just don't understand it.  I have not seen either on tape, but it is odd to see Texas with the number 1 QB in the state, give up" blah blah blah
Fuck Rick
I listen to that show daily. Cant recall him saying that. What day last week? Not calling you out, I just may have missed it.

8 hours ago, westexhorn said:

Hopefully his high-school team got some decent WR and Oline

Here's who I found from googling his HS. Idk how this works with a couple of them being power 5 signees. If I had to guess they will sit out the spring season. 

https://247sports.com/player/devin-kirkwood-46078801/

https://247sports.com/player/christian-pedersen-46085561/

https://247sports.com/Player/Aluma-Nkele-46113535/

6 hours ago, markstanco said:
On 2/16/2021 at 9:54 AM, Thiefery said:
Rick Nueheisel on his XM show was playing right into this.. "Murphy comes from a powerhouse program, etc... but it feels like Texas and Sark conceited to tosu and threw the towel on Ewers, I just don't understand it.  I have not seen either on tape, but it is odd to see Texas with the number 1 QB in the state, give up" blah blah blah
Fuck Rick

I listen to that show daily. Cant recall him saying that. What day last week? Not calling you out, I just may have missed it.

it was either last Monday or Tuesday.. and bro he was saying that.. Childers was like it's a big time commitment, it's great.. and Rick kept bringing up Ewers.. and he hadn't "watched either on tape"..  it was weird.. maybe he read up on twitter and decided to be the glass half empty take on it?

3 hours ago, rvm96 said:

Here's who I found from googling his HS. Idk how this works with a couple of them being power 5 signees. If I had to guess they will sit out the spring season. 

https://247sports.com/player/devin-kirkwood-46078801/

https://247sports.com/player/christian-pedersen-46085561/

https://247sports.com/Player/Aluma-Nkele-46113535/

whoa a 390 lb OT????

13 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm confused. Scored every drive but only 12 points? Idk how 7-7 works

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

a) How'd they lose the first game if he's scored every drive?

b) How's that kid drop that first deep ball?

These are basically all star games, I’d assume there’s at least one other QB he is rotating with.

The whole point of this is exposure so you don’t want anyone riding the pine the whole time.

34 minutes ago, Fud said:

Rivals west coast guy Adam Gorney-

"New Texas commit Maalik Murphy is already ranked as the No. 45 prospect and as the fifth-best pro-style quarterback in the 2022 class so he’s highly respected among the group but his showing at Pylon could move him even higher. The group is loaded but Murphy is not taking a back seat to any of the quarterbacks ranked ahead of him, the only issue is that he has not had a junior season and limited varsity film so only time can help those issues.

Murphy looks as good as any quarterback on the hoof, he’s smooth, makes tough throws look easy and he’s a quiet leader who moves the offense down the field, can make the pinpoint throw right to his receivers’ hands and after seeing him numerous times over the last few years, this was one of Murphy’s best performances yet."

I'm not a buyer on Murphy ever taking snaps at Texas, but that he showed up after a high profile commitment and gave what's advertised as his best performance in front of essentially national media is....pretty great.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm not a buyer on Murphy ever taking snaps at Texas, but that he showed up after a high profile commitment and gave what's advertised as his best performance in front of essentially national media is....pretty great.

why aren't you buying Murphy taking the reins at Texas is a few years?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Two-fold. First, I'm not convinced he's accurate in a game setting, and that's not readily fixable. Second, if Card wins the job this year, he'll be entrenched as the starter meaning Maalik waits 2-3 years. If we secure another highly ranked qb in '23, the post-Card runner up will transfer and....see reason one. 

I just watched some Joe Milton 7v7 as he's the floor comp, and I do feel better about where Murphy is now based on this weekend's tourney clips in comparison. Looking forward to game rep film. As a personality, as a recruiter, I love Murphy's skillset. As a passer, we'll see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Two-fold. First, I'm not convinced he's accurate in a game setting, and that's not readily fixable. Second, if Card wins the job this year, he'll be entrenched as the starter meaning Maalik waits 2-3 years. If we secure another highly ranked qb in '23, the post-Card runner up will transfer and....see reason one. 

I just watched some Joe Milton 7v7 as he's the floor comp, and I do feel better about where Murphy is now based on this weekend's tourney clips in comparison. Looking forward to game rep film. As a personality, as a recruiter, I love Murphy's skillset. As a passer, we'll see. 

I think Maalik redshirts in '22 and will compete for the job in the '24 season.  I'm not ruling out Thompson winning the job this spring or summer either, but it does feel like the loser or the player that feels like they are on the outside in for QB1 will transfer.  Feels to me that Card would maybe stick it out if he came in 2nd..BUT I'm fairly confident that if Thompson gets edged out he will transfer quickly.

I'm high on Maalik and barring something strange with a certain other QB in Texas wanting back in later, I think he sticks.

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't really see how you could buy or sell that right now. We just don't know. His stats his sophomore year were bad, but he was coming in as a backup and only threw like 50 passes. It's just way too small of a sample size, and his clips from this weekend make it look like he's progressed nicely since then. We'll see if the improvements in his mechanics hold up in games.

Also, if Card is as good enough to win the starting job this year, then he's probably only going to be here for two years, in which case it would Murphy in his second year vs. Wright/Lourde as 3rd years and a true freshman in 2023. I don't think that would be too hard for Murphy to win if he pans out, barring Sark bringing in a high level transfer.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

2012 - Connon Brewer, Jalen Overstreet

2013 - None

2014 - Jerrod Heard

2015 - Matthew Merrick

2016 - Shane Buechele

2017 - Sam Ehlinger

2018 - Cam Rising , Casey Thompson

2019 - Roschon Johnson

2020 - Hudson Card, Ja'Quinden Jackson

Statistically speaking, there's a better than average chance that he never plays significant snaps at QB. Over the last 9 years we've signed 11 QBs. Only 3 had any significant playing time at QB (Jerrod/Shane/Sam). Obviously one of Casey/Card will get lots of snaps this year.

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

@Ricky's one-hitter and @satyanashand @golfclap spent too much time together last week huddled together in the cold for warmth. I think he caught a case of the Eeyores, or even worse, a cast of the Wescott's from one of those two. Lets all take a moment and pray for his swift recovery. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don't really see how you could buy or sell that right now. We just don't know. His stats his sophomore year were bad, but he was coming in as a backup and only threw like 50 passes. It's just way too small of a sample size, and his clips from this weekend make it look like he's progressed nicely since then. We'll see if the improvements in his mechanics hold up in games.

Also, if Card is as good enough to win the starting job this year, then he's probably only going to be here for two years, in which case it would Murphy in his second year vs. Wright/Lourde as 3rd years and a true freshman in 2023. I don't think that would be too hard for Murphy to win if he pans out, barring Sark bringing in a high level transfer.

We literally said the same thing. "I'm not convinced" = "We just don't know" more or less. 

1 minute ago, Barbacoa said:

Where are the accuracy concerns coming from? I havent seen a big issue in his 7 on 7 film. 

He completed 44% of his passes his sophomore year with 2 INTs and 0 TDs.  His sophomore film also shows sloppy footwork and an inconsistent throwing motion, which is a cause of poor accuracy.  His recent 7 on 7 clips show improvement in both those areas, but it's hard to know how much it's actually improved until he's taking live reps under pressure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He completed 44% of his passes his sophomore year with 2 INTs and 0 TDs.  His sophomore film also shows sloppy footwork and an inconsistent throwing motion, which is a cause of poor accuracy.  His recent 7 on 7 clips show improvement in both those areas, but it's hard to know how much it's actually improved until he's taking live reps under pressure. 

Do we know whether his offensive line sucks and his wide receivers suck? It seems to me that it is easier to perform as a QB at Westlake or SLC than it is at Saint Francis or Junipero Serra.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Do we know whether his offensive line sucks and his wide receivers suck? It seems to me that it is easier to perform as a QB at Westlake or SLC than it is at Saint Francis or Junipero Serra.

His OL didn’t seem great. His team went 6-5. There’s no doubt it’s easier to performs at a football machine like WL or LT. Serra’s nowhere near that kind of well-oiled machine. 

If you really want to know, the QB who played ahead of him went to UNLV (Doug Brumfield) so I’m sure he’s a got a lot of clips on hudl to observe the surrounding cast. His stats were a lot better than Murphy’s, so it’s not all on the surrounding cast. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

His OL didn’t seem great. His team went 6-5. There’s no doubt it’s easier to performs at a football machine like WL or LT. Serra’s nowhere near that kind of well-oiled machine. 

If you really want to know, the QB who played ahead of him went to UNLV (Doug Brumfield) so I’m sure he’s a got a lot of clips on hudl to observe the surrounding cast. His stats were a lot better than Murphy’s, so it’s not all on the surrounding cast. 

I would have to look at Brumfield's sophomore film and compare it to Murphy's. Or we will have to wait to compare Sr. to Sr. Nonetheless, Serra Junipero is an average Catholic School, meaning the quality of players varies wildly from class to class.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I would have to look at Brumfield's sophomore film and compare it to Murphy's. Or we will have to wait to compare Sr. to Sr. Nonetheless, Serra Junipero is an average Catholic School, meaning the quality of players varies wildly from class to class.

Was Maalik even a full time starter as a sophomore?  If not, I don't care about his sophomore film either.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

It's not about how he compares to Brumfield, it's about figuring out how decent the team around the QB is, knowing that Brumfield is a lower-G5 level guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Guess Ehlinger should’ve never started a game at Texas either since buechele won the job before he got there. 

8 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Guess Ehlinger should’ve never started a game at Texas either since buechele won the job before he got there. 

15 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Well every year this group here tells me

how aggy won’t win shit and their offense is trash and every year those fuck sticks pull magic out. Those same folks saying maaalik ain’t it means we have Vince young 2.0 on our hands.   Show me a loss 

You guys trying to one up each other?

16 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Well every year this group here tells me

how aggy won’t win shit and their offense is trash and every year those fuck sticks pull magic out. Those same folks saying maaalik ain’t it means we have Vince young 2.0 on our hands.   Show me a loss 

Their offense pretty much was trash, and describing amy part of the post-Manziel aggy era as magic is quite a stretch.

They do always do better than us homers would like or predict, which makes sense. 

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

You’re a bit more emotionally invested in this than a normal person should be. In life you’ll often find folks with differing opinions.  It’s ok.  Don’t lose sleep over it. 

aggy hasn't been consistently good....mmmm.....ever. Occasionally, they'll throw together some wins as they did this year. But, it is factually incorrect to say "every year those fuck sticks pull magic out" regarding their offense and it puts your ignorance on full display as a poster. If you want to criticize a post, go ahead. It's the fucking internet. But ignorance followed by taking your ball home is bad form. 

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

aggy hasn't been consistently good....mmmm.....ever. Occasionally, they'll throw together some wins as they did this year. But, it is factually incorrect to say "every year those fuck sticks pull magic out" regarding their offense and it puts your ignorance on full display as a poster. If you want to criticize a post, go ahead. It's the fucking internet. But ignorance followed by taking your ball home is bad form. 

I’m sorry I offended you