Maalikmas 2.0! - 2022 QB Maalik Murphy

mdmost

I'm just going to chime in as an old and say that I appreciate Maalik using a twitter handle I can understand that also brings the sweet sounds of Sade to my brain each time I see it. 

Also nice to see him making all kinds of throws in the 7v7 games.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jinx said:

I'm just going to chime in as an old and say that I appreciate Maalik using a twitter handle I can understand that also brings the sweet sounds of Sade to my brain each time I see it. 

Also nice to see him making all kinds of throws in the 7v7 games.

Would rep again for Sade reference.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Box score for the game against LB Poly: https://stats.digitalscout.com/football/boys/game/13332440

Should be noted that the second interception came on an overtime 4th and 17 where he had no choice but to throw it up. He could have had a couple other passes picked, though.

This was his first ever start at QB, right? 

35 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Some of you guys are trying a little too hard to be impartial. He acquitted himself well. For the competition, he performed like a high 4 star project should in his first game. He’s not Ewers and may never be in college. But there was a lot of good to takeaway from the game. Footwork and pocket presence wasn’t much different from his 7 on 7 performances. He just had people constantly coming at him now. Arm is still the major plus. So almost zero difference from what we knew a week ago. 

My only criticism is that a grown man of my age watching a stream of a HS football game on an Instagram account on a Friday night. 

What a time to be alive

30 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

he performed like a high 4 star project should in his first game.

High four star guys should dominate. He was adequate. Honestly there’s rarely ever projects this raw that are high 4* guys, but rarely do JRs have ++ NFL arms. Milroe is a raw project and he was miles ahead of where Murphy is at the same stage. 

He performed like a guy who has barely played the position. I don’t really know who to equate him to at this point because his NFL potential is clear but it also would be no surprise if he never played a down here. 

Footwork and pocket presence wasn’t much different from his 7 on 7 performances.

It was very different.
He never did the same thing twice, even when he got better and hit his stride in the 2nd half he had no consistency in any part of his mechanics. His decision making improved, which to me was best thing to see in the game. He looks brand new (because he is) and if he carries over the decision making improvements each outing his performance will improve tremendously and as far as Texas is concerned that’s the most important part of his evolution because his mechanics are going to have to be changed and addressed from the top down and better that comes from Sark/Milwee/Milwee’s replacement. He’s a moldable piece of clay with a lightning bolt for an arm. Everything else is going to have to be taught. 

My only criticism is that a grown man of my age watching a stream of a HS football game

I mean, yeah. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Houston20 said:

I think it's fair to say the earliest Murphy will see the field at UT is as a RS Sophomore.

This would be more than fair, he's a Junior and only now starting in High School.  So getting a chance to start his Sophomore year at UT would be a real improvement and a surprise.  

Edited by Mdhorn

8 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Some of you guys are trying a little too hard to be impartial. He acquitted himself well. For the competition, he performed like a high 4 star project should in his first game. He’s not Ewers and may never be in college. But there was a lot of good to takeaway from the game. Footwork and pocket presence wasn’t much different from his 7 on 7 performances. He just had people constantly coming at him now. Arm is still the major plus. So almost zero difference from what we knew a week ago. 

My only criticism is that a grown man of my age watching a stream of a HS football game on an Instagram account on a Friday night. 

This is just flat out wrong. His footwork and arm motion were noticeably worse and he did not perform like a high 4 star even when factoring in his terrible OL. 

He definitely got more comfortable in the second half and started making plays.  The potential is there, and I expect to see him keep improving, but he has a longer way to go than hoped based off his camp and work put in since he played last in 2019. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

On 3/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, hookem48 said:

these are really really shitty football teams

Long Beach Polytechnic is a sports powerhouse, although I agree that their team in these highlights looks awful. I once shot a commercial there and was highly impressed with the trophy case. As a footnote, it's also the HS of both Snoop Dog and Cameron Diaz, as well as a few other stars.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Long Beach Polytechnic is a sports powerhouse, although I agree that their team in these highlights looks awful. I once shot a commercial there and was highly impressed with the trophy case. As a footnote, it's also the HS of both Snoop Dog and Cameron Diaz, as well as a few other stars.  
Hearing this makes me question the overall competition level in the entire state.