Maalikmas 2.0! - 2022 QB Maalik Murphy

mdmost

8 hours ago, ousux said:

Hearing this makes me question the overall competition level in the entire state.

Well, those teams looked dreadful in the highlights and to be honest, Murphy looked very, very raw. His feet were all over the place, and he was throwing with his body off-balance. His 7-on-7 throws were better, but when facing real pressure, his form quickly deteriorated. He did have some nice placement though. I doubt he would start at Westlake or LT. 

There were some national championship trophies in the case, but I can't recall which sports they were in.   

21 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Well, those teams looked dreadful in the highlights and to be honest, Murphy looked very, very raw. His feet were all over the place, and he was throwing with his body off-balance. His 7-on-7 throws were better, but when facing real pressure, his form quickly deteriorated. He did have some nice placement though. I doubt he would start at Westlake or LT. 

There were some national championship trophies in the case, but I can't recall which sports they were in.   

i mean...everyone has said this about him from day 1?

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Fair point. However, someone here did try to equate his lack of experience as being similar to Hudson Card, which is insanely inaccurate, as Card was highly experienced at the highest HS level. However, I don't see how someone so raw can be so highly ranked. I do hope he makes amazing progress this spring and becomes an incredibly successful QB here. 

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

Actually I believe multiple posters were up in arms when someone said that a week or two ago. IIRC @victory88 extolled the virtues of all the private QB training and 7v7 experience he had and @Mitch Cumsteen said it was borderline racist.

Even though he’s absolutely raw and anyone who has any clue what they were talking about wouldn’t have argued that point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Fair point. However, someone here did try to equate his lack of experience as being similar to Hudson Card, which is insanely inaccurate, as Card was highly experienced at the highest HS level. However, I don't see how someone so raw can be so highly ranked. I do hope he makes amazing progress this spring and becomes an incredibly successful QB here. 

i think the card comparison was mostly due their (extensive) work with private coaches? they are obv not the same player at the same point in time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

This.  Add to that it was his first game as a starter.  His arm strength is evident but was not impressed with his accuracy or ability to escape or read pressure.  His line was trash and his receivers are tiny but I do not like seeing him under throw receivers with such a big arm.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Actually I believe multiple posters were up in arms when someone said that a week or two ago. IIRC @victory88 extolled the virtues of all the private QB training and 7v7 experience he had and @Mitch Cumsteen said it was borderline racist.

Even though he’s absolutely raw and anyone who has any clue what they were talking about wouldn’t have argued that point. 

haha... I did do that.  I'll say this much, he looked excellent in 7 on 7.  He was making NFL throws that some NFL QBs don't consistently make.  He also looked terrible in the game film.  He had moments where he threw some solid passes, but overall, I thought it was a disappointing performance.

With that said, it's game one for a team that hasn't played in over a year and has not had much practice.  His OL is terrible.  Not making excuses for him but I'm sure he will look very different in game 5 vs game 1.  

We should definitely take a QB2 because I do agree, he's going to be boom or bust.  

My worthless $ 0.02 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, ousux said:

Hearing this makes me question the overall competition level in the entire state.

I know it's just an exhibition, but I believe they regularly beat us in the Texas vs Cal all star game.  I believe one of the DFW schools beat De La Salle a couple years ago but I remember Bishop Amat wrecking Aledo in 2014.  So idk, maybe not Texas good, but not too far off.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I threw it out there as a possibility and regretted it immediately after posting. IIRC it was early on a Saturday or Sunday morning and I was hungover. Mea culpa.

If it makes you feel any better, I watched the most recent highlights (WATCH.THE.DAMN.TAPE. copyright Daddy98 or whatever the hell that idiot aggie's name is) and I'm now convinced that Maalik should get a refund on anything his family spent on private QB training. Kid looks more raw that Duck of Death's bacon, but he does have a cannon. Good thing he has some more games to get his feet wet and in his defense, he did seem to get better as the game wore on.

All the Ewers flip talk seems to have died down recently but I hope that they are still working the hell out of him behind the scenes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I threw it out there as a possibility and regretted it immediately after posting. IIRC it was early on a Saturday or Sunday morning and I was hungover. Mea culpa.

If it makes you feel any better, I watched the most recent highlights (WATCH.THE.DAMN.TAPE. copyright Daddy98 or whatever the hell that idiot aggie's name is) and I'm now convinced that Maalik should get a refund on anything his family spent on private QB training. Kid looks more raw that Duck of Death's bacon, but he does have a cannon. Good thing he has some more games to get his feet wet and in his defense, he did seem to get better as the game wore on.

All the Ewers flip talk seems to have died down recently but I hope that they are still working the hell out of him behind the scenes. 

Points for owning your earlier post, although I didn't see it. Ewers is the best HS quarterback I've ever seen in person and I've been watching the best of Westlake and LT for years. His decision-making and throws were better than most college QB's I've seen. 

That said, I hope Maalik progresses and becomes an AMAZING player at Texas, who generates excitement and influences more players to commit.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Points for owning your earlier post, although I didn't see it. Ewers is the best HS quarterback I've ever seen in person and I've been watching the best of Westlake and LT for years. His decision-making and throws were better than most college QB's I've seen. 

That said, I hope Maalik progresses and becomes an AMAZING player at Texas, who generates excitement and influences more players to commit.

Yea Ewers looks like a can't miss prospect.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/16/2021 at 2:21 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I can confirm Sark is working the hell out of Ewers behind the scenes. He’s going at that teenager so hard the other coaches nicknamed him “Jeffery Epstein” 

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Maalik with his third TD pass.  Serra 29-7.  

I thought he made some really, really nice throws. He had some... weird ones too but I think this was the best we've seen him look. Great to see him improving with every game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/2/2021 at 9:14 PM, campcrunk said:

I thought he made some really, really nice throws. He had some... weird ones too but I think this was the best we've seen him look. Great to see him improving with every game. 

Expect his star rating to continue to drop regardless of performance.

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

What narrative is that exactly? 

When Murphy was performing well in camps, the 9.95ers were saying that Texas had to have Ewers and that not only was Murphy raw but he was also very inexperienced and would inevitably drop to a mid-level 4 star. Now, the only thing that could help his ranking is if he opened back up his recruiting and Alabama and Clemson got involved. Personally, I don't give a shit about his ranking and I hope he sticks with Texas and I'm goddamn sick of hearing Ewers' name every time Murphy is discussed.

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

When Murphy was performing well in camps, the 9.95ers were saying that Texas had to have Ewers and that not only was Murphy raw but he was also very inexperienced and would inevitably drop to a mid-level 4 star. Now, the only thing that could help his ranking is if he opened back up his recruiting and Alabama and Clemson got involved. Personally, I don't give a shit about his ranking and I hope he sticks with Texas and I'm goddamn sick of hearing Ewers' name every time Murphy is discussed.

You’re taking the Texas 9.95ers narratives and saying it’s influencing the rankings, but that’s only true for Hamilton/ESPN. The other sites don’t really listen to Texas 9.95ers in their rankings and Murphy will probably end up around there on the other sites too. 

And is Maalik being raw and inexperienced a narrative or is it just an accurate reflection of him as a recruit at this point? He was drastically overrated as a composite 5 star when he committed to us. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

And is Maalik being raw and inexperienced a narrative or is it just an accurate reflection of him as a recruit at this point? He was drastically overrated as a composite 5 star when he committed to us. 

Hard to say. If he was at Westlake or Katy, he would compete for state and he wouldn't be considered raw. But he is on a team that sucks and is doing pretty well considering he has satya and Aiden at wide receiver with Chunk and Mouth anchoring the line. In 4 months, he will again be on a team that sucks and will do pretty well while Jefferson from Ridgemont miraculously transfers to SLC and helps them become world beaters.

51 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Hard to say. If he was at Westlake or Katy, he would compete for state and he wouldn't be considered raw. But he is on a team that sucks and is doing pretty well considering he has satya and Aiden at wide receiver with Chunk and Mouth anchoring the line. In 4 months, he will again be on a team that sucks and will do pretty well while Jefferson from Ridgemont miraculously transfers to SLC and helps them become world beaters.

You were pushing the bad team narrative before they ever played a down, yet they’ve played a pretty tough schedule and are 4-1 while Maalik’s been playing well but nothing special. 

I’m sure he’d look better in a system like Westlake, but he also might not have started a single game in his HS career still if he were at Westlake. And like a lot of people have pointed out, he’s had private trainers since he was like 8 years old so his lack of refinement can’t all be chalked up to a lack of coaching/development.

The reality is that he still has poor footwork and inconsistent mechanics. He has a great arm and makes some incredible throws, but he’s inaccurate because he lacks consistency in mechanics, and while that’s coachable, he should be further along in that area. There’s also the factor the he’ll be close to 6’6 in college and the bust rate on guys that tall is pretty high, in part because it’s hard to have the coordination required to have good footwork and a consistent, short throwing motion when you’re that size. 
He’s very heavy-footed and not all that mobile, which is a pretty big missing tool for college QBs these days.

Hopefully he continues to clean things up in HS and with Sark’s coaching he can take the next step. if he does, he could be extremely good, but his bust potential is very high, especially when he’s this raw as a HS junior. 

Being a mid-4 star is a perfectly reasonable rating for him at this point. He was absolutely overrated as a 5 star coming into this year and he’s probably still overrated in the composite as the #72 player in the country right now.

If he continues to show improvement and clean up mechanics, then I’m sure he’ll rise back up in the rankings, but it’s pretty silly to blame some Texas 9.95er narrative for why he will drop in the national rankings regardless of how he plays when his play right now shows he’s been overrated. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m sure he’d look better in a system like Westlake, but he also might not have started a single game in his HS career still if he were at Westlake.

Come on now. Don't tell me you think Cade is better or will be better in college.

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You were pushing the bad team narrative before they ever played a down, yet they’ve played a pretty tough schedule and are 4-1 while Maalik’s been playing well but nothing special. 

Yes, this is true. I have always felt like his team sucks. And I still think they suck. And I think the only reason they are 4-1 is because of Maalik M.

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If he continues to show improvement and clean up mechanics, then I’m sure he’ll rise back up in the rankings, but it’s pretty silly to blame some Texas 9.95er narrative for why he will drop in the national rankings regardless of how he plays when his play right now shows he’s been overrated. 

No way in hell will he climb back up the rankings.

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Come on now. Don't tell me you think Cade is better or will be better in college.

Yes, this is true. I have always felt like his team sucks. And I still think they suck. And I think the only reason they are 4-1 is because of Maalik M.

No way in hell will he climb back up the rankings.

Cade is absolutely better right now. College may very well be a different story, and it might be different if Maalik went to Westlake his whole HS career, but we don’t know. It’s not a guarantee that guys develop to their ceiling even with good coaching. 

Have you actually watched Maalik’s games? He makes a ton of unforced errors. His surrounding cast isn’t good, but it’s not like he’s playing out of his mind this year. He’s been good while showing a ton of inconsistency that isn’t solely due to his supporting cast. 

How is there no way in hell he climbs the rankings if he improves exactly? Where is this nationwide conspiracy between Rivals, 247 and ESPN coming from? The same services that had him as a 5 star just a months ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Maalik is on team that is pretty good defensively, and the offense has gotten better as Maalik has gotten better. Serra is pretty bad when speaking in terms of offensive personnel, like horribly bad. As he improves with experience, and puts out more quality game tape,  his ranking might also improve. His footwork is not excellent, but it is not obscene either. Especially considering that he is instantly evading rushers every time he drops back to pass, due to the turnstyle of an offensive line that he plays behind.

Maalik has some elite tools that you cannot coach. Tools that are more vauable than anything Klubnik has to offer. I am glad that he is going to Clemson.

However, it might have been prudent to put some more effort into recruiting Weigman and Hooker, but I am happy with what we have in the bag.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So has he or has he not improved as their season has gone on?

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/maalik-murphy/fETshW29EeiAyNdjx8XCRA/football/stats.htm#year=20-21

image.thumb.png.3737a1401d8176161a8a4f82e154f87f.png

Note the quality of competition has also been lower but his stats have certainly improved. Long Beach Poly is ranked #12 in the state on MaxPreps (Serra is 18).

33 minutes ago, The Dog said:

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/maalik-murphy/fETshW29EeiAyNdjx8XCRA/football/stats.htm#year=20-21

image.thumb.png.3737a1401d8176161a8a4f82e154f87f.png

Note the quality of competition has also been lower but his stats have certainly improved. Long Beach Poly is ranked #12 in the state on MaxPreps (Serra is 18).

This shows up in his play too. He’s definitely improved as the season’s gone on, which is what we wanted to see. He still has a lot of things to work on, but hopefully he can keep playing like he did the last two games. If he keeps that rate of improvement, he’ll be a really good take for us.