Maalikmas 2.0! - 2022 QB Maalik Murphy

mdmost

24 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

So Maalik is Swoops2.0?

Maalik is definitely more accurate. Swoops was going to throw it 70 yards on every play, you just never knew what direction. I remember the first play of the game in the 18 wheeler package against Notre Dame. Swoops dropped back and threw it out of the back of the end zone from our 30 yard line. The receiver never had a chance but there was an audible gasp in the crowd at the throw. 

1 hour ago, THUJONE said:

Maalik has a cannon and a lightning quick release. I'm not sure why so many are down on him. 

This. I’m withholding judgement on him until he’s been exposed to better support and competition and in Sark’s hands for a year or two. His upside has huge potential and is worth chasing IMO.

Edited by Wishbone

1 hour ago, Wishbone said:

This. I’m withholding judgement on him until he’s been exposed to better support and competition and in Sark’s hands for a year or two. His upside has huge potential and is worth chasing IMO.

I’m with you but I think that’s the worry. He has tremendous upside but is just not as refined and fine tuned as some of the other guys out there. Still, would be a perfect roster compliment if Arch were to pick us.

• Hook 'Em 1

Murphy has been playing really well tonight. Still a few missed throws but he's been largely on target and showing off the arm talent. Case in point: 

Beating a dead horse here but his receivers are horribad. Several bad drops where the receiver had plenty of grass in front of him.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Murphy has been playing really well tonight. Still a few missed throws but he's been largely on target and showing off the arm talent. Case in point: 

Beating a dead horse here but his receivers are horribad. Several bad drops where the receiver had plenty of grass in front of him.

If Murphy throws the ball as soon as the slot receiver gets wide open, it's a much easier 6 without the pressure. Instead, he relies on the scramble drill and a hopeless cornerback.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Mercy, he has a hose. Does he have a verified 40 time? 

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

If Murphy throws the ball as soon as the slot receiver gets wide open, it's a much easier 6 without the pressure. Instead, he relies on the scramble drill and a hopeless cornerback.

this. I think it’s pretty obvious he can dominate in simulated camp settings but when he's facing live rounds he really struggles putting things together. 

14 hours ago, Hornlover said:

He wasn't looking at that side of the field (which may be its own issue). I'd be more worried if he saw it and didn't throw it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 6:36 PM, Cairn Horn88 said:

Saw where he had a clavicle injury last night….more to come.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/11/texas-longhorns-football-recruiting-maalik-murphy-commit-injury-shoulder-quarterback-2022-class/

Edited by Cairn Horn88