Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 3/15/2019 at 9:04 AM, thestud said:

Anything with the words Pot Still scares the shit out of me after my horrid experience FW with Willett

Willett Pot Still does indeed suck. 

Fine with me. Let people think they're terrible, and I'll buy every drop of bourbon/rye that Willett Family Estate distills themselves. 

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’m in Connecticut visiting my wife’s family. Saw this at the package store. Never seen this in Tulsa but seen it discussed on bourbon bro pages. Is it worth buying and shipping home?

af82517cdc1c14444b637aa1f25d5106.jpg

Never had NM, but the one to the right is pretty good.

26 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’m in Connecticut visiting my wife’s family. Saw this at the package store. Never seen this in Tulsa but seen it discussed on bourbon bro pages. Is it worth buying and shipping home?

No it’s not worth it. The early Noah’s Mill releases were 15 year old sourced stuff that were really good. That’s what people raved about. Everything not labeled a 15 year is lower age blended stuff that’s not as good. It’s not bad, but not ship home to yourself good, They are living off the word of mouth of the early releases. 

The IW Harper is also sourced but still good. 

• Like 1

Connecticut can suck it. NM not hard to find in Austin. Better off just visiting here.

PBR Making a Whiskey! Gotta love the Age Statement

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/a26838477/pbr-whiskey-five-seconds-interview/

'If It Touches Wood, It's a Whiskey': How PBR Made Its First-Ever Spirit  Notably 80-proof and "aged 5 seconds," Pabst Blue Ribbon Whiskey is being produced in collaboration with New Holland Brewing Co., just across Lake Michigan opposite from where Jacob Best and his family first set up shop all those years ago.

Found a Michters 10 rye several weeks ago for around $150 and bought it. May not see another for several years. Found a couple of M10's for $200 last week and said no way. I haven't seen an M10 on a shelf for less than that in over a year. He should go back and buy it, because if he doesn't someone else will. Better to have, than have not. They aren't getting cheaper.

34 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Found a Michters 10 rye several weeks ago for around $150 and bought it. May not see another for several years. Found a couple of M10's for $200 last week and said no way. I haven't seen an M10 on a shelf for less than that in over a year. He should go back and buy it, because if he doesn't someone else will. Better to have, than have not. They aren't getting cheaper.

The Michter's 10 rye is a fantastic buy. Based on the interview I listened to, I don't think Michter's even knows when they'll produce another batch. 

42 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Wife: May I have some bourbon tonight?

Neon: Sure, have whatever 

(wife looks through many open bottles....picks out Eagle Rare)

Neon: 

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c95882e7247767541

Honestly, I think it's the bottle. It's patriotic. And of course it's smooth and easy to drink. 

Might I suggest pairing your bourbon with Netflix's The Dirt. The Motley Crue biopic. 

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Honestly, I think it's the bottle. It's patriotic. And of course it's smooth and easy to drink. 

Might I suggest pairing your bourbon with Netflix's The Dirt. The Motley Crue biopic. 

It’s fine. She knows she’s not allowed to touch anything on the shelf. But she always seems to pick out my favorite drinkers that are open. It’s like a special sixth sense. 

38 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s fine. She knows she’s not allowed to touch anything on the shelf. But she always seems to pick out my favorite drinkers that are open. It’s like a special sixth sense. 

The wife cracked my first bottle of Bourye, and took down a bottle of Weller 12. Anybody that says marriage is easy is lying. She routinely nibbles on some Eagle Rare if I leave it out.We compromised, and I keep of Old Barton Bonded out for cocktails.

Old Barton Bonded carries the torch for its departed bargain bourbon brother Heaven Hill 6. 

What's the assumed age statement on Wild Turkey 101? I've been thinking about enjoying a bottle for old time's sake. 

Wife at Total Wines for wine decided to get me some bourbon.  She knew I was a fan of Blantons, of course they didn’t have any.  On the sales recommendation she brought home a bottle of Jefferson’s Reserve.  I haven’t seen any discussion here about it, but not bad for a 44 dollar bottle.  I was very surprised...smooth, 90, small batch. I might try some more.  Any other comments if you have tried it?

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

My wife doesn't like whiskey of any type. But even she would know that Eagle Rare would be a great choice, should she be otherwise. I guess I've talked about it enough, had her pick some up for me often enough, etc. (She also knows it's relatively inexpensive for how good it is, so she doesn't begrudge me the purchase, which is nice.)

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The wife cracked my first bottle of Bourye, and took down a bottle of Weller 12. Anybody that says marriage is easy is lying. She routinely nibbles on some Eagle Rare if I leave it out.We compromised, and I keep of Old Barton Bonded out for cocktails.

Old Barton Bonded carries the torch for its departed bargain bourbon brother Heaven Hill 6. 

What's the assumed age statement on Wild Turkey 101? I've been thinking about enjoying a bottle for old time's sake. 

Supposedly WT101 is a blend of 6,7 and 8 yr old bourbons...or at least that's the word on the webs