Bourbon

Jimbaround

My value rankings. 

1. Weller 12 for $25 is easily the best value and it’s not even close. That price is insane. It’s also my favorite bourbon. Of course you can’t find it anywhere

2. Eagle Rare 10 for $30 is the second best value on the market. Of course you can’t find it anywhere 

3. 4 Roses Single Barrel for $40 is a little high compared to the previous but the bourbon is worth every penny.

4. Henry McKenna 10 for $33 is a solid bourbon at a great price. This one will be harder to find thanks to Minnick 

5. Elijah Craig Small Batch for $20. This is 8-12 year old bourbon for cheap as fuck. Amazing value.

6. Evan Williams Single Barrel for $25. 10 years old Single barrel. Amazing value. It’s not as good as some of the others above but it doesn’t suck. It’s pretty good. I think most people avoid it because of the name. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

My value rankings. 

1. Weller 12 for $25 is easily the best value and it’s not even close. That price is insane. It’s also my favorite bourbon. Of course you can’t find it anywhere

2. Eagle Rare 10 for $30 is the second best value on the market. Of course you can’t find it anywhere 

3. 4 Roses Single Barrel for $40 is a little high compared to the previous but the bourbon is worth every penny.

4. Henry McKenna 10 for $33 is a solid bourbon at a great price. This one will be harder to find thanks to Minnick 

5. Elijah Craig Small Batch for $20. This is 8-12 year old bourbon for cheap as fuck. Amazing value.

6. Evan Williams Single Barrel for $25. 10 years old Single barrel. Amazing value. It’s not as good as some of the others above but it doesn’t suck. It’s pretty good. I think most people avoid it because of the name. 

you're 5 for 6.  you can keep your evan williams.  not a fan.  i'd put the old forester rye in it's place.

I just picked up the OF Rye the other day and am already a 1/3 of the way through. Love this stuff. I'd give it a solid 8.5 (9 when you take into consideration how cheap it is). My only complaint is how thin it is. Would love it even more if it was more oily. 

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I don't blame you.  I bought one bottle and have probably had two pours of it.  it's really good for the money.   you should at least try it. 

Will do. I need to finish a couple of my open bottles first, but it’d next on my list 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep, sold out in a couple minutes at on my online spot. I should have pulled the trigger when I had the chance. 

From everything I've heard expect this to be freely available on shelves, I don't think there will be a shortage unless people start hoarding like crazy as soon as it hits. 

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 2:39 PM, huge said:

I have 2 behind and might keep buying.  I like it that much.  Anyone else with me?

Bought two bottles of 1910 from Lakeline Total, had a bunch more in stock. $50 a pop.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

Old Forester rye for $21. Is there a better deal out there right now?

My honey hole musta had 12 varieties of OF today but not a lick of the rye... did find a couple good alternatives however and threw in some south of the border delights for good measure:

7564ead591e95e2f799a5fbf390fdba1.jpg

Also, anyone had a chance to sip on this before? Almost pulled the trigger but I’m not usually a Knob drinker.

adf501452ba37264d9b8f6e49463052b.jpg

By the way, first trip to Kentucky. Castle & Key is far and away the best distillery tour that we took. It’s fairly new...they are aging their bourbon, but only produce gin and vodka currently. Look them up if you don’t know their story. On top of all of their bad assery, they have the first female master distiller in the history of bourbon production.

5e859bcb3dbf266f7252ae9910a4599a.jpg
e05f0ef32e5f8dfdeb6b842b99539a41.jpg
3137ba2e9e5ed1169c73184a135338c7.jpg
bcd0c14b739f0d00e327cc1c256875e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thestud said:

Now that’s a post worthy of some rep. Well done sir. Is this your first Gold experience? What did you think? I know it’s in my top 3 all time best.

Sublime, though I'm not 100% sure I could tell it apart from regular Blanton's in a blind taste test (which of course is also sublime). 

11 hours ago, Horn21 said:

By the way, first trip to Kentucky. Castle & Key is far and away the best distillery tour that we took. It’s fairly new...they are aging their bourbon, but only produce gin and vodka currently. Look them up if you don’t know their story. On top of all of their bad assery, they have the first female master distiller in the history of bourbon production.

Looks like a new McMansion in Frisco. 

13 hours ago, Horn21 said:

5e859bcb3dbf266f7252ae9910a4599a.jpg
3137ba2e9e5ed1169c73184a135338c7.jpg
bcd0c14b739f0d00e327cc1c256875e8.jpg

The guy vomiting into the fermentation vessel has a nice lookin' ass.

7 minutes ago, thestud said:

Not hearing good things about it.

On an unrelated note, I set up my own quadruple blind tasting tonight. Poured four 4oz drams and had my wife mix them up. OGD 114, BT non SP, HM BiB and Old Ezra 7 BS.

OGD 114 won.

I passed on Theresa's Batch. Not enough reviews on it for me to pull the trigger. $70 bullet dodged. 

Are you sure buddy? Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength should win in a boat race. 

It was a close second. I’m a BT fanboy when it comes to SP’s so I figured even though this was a non SP it would be close. It wasn’t. Dead last.

It went
OGD 114
OE 7 BS
HM BiB
BT

Idk if I’m having an off day or what, but that’s where I landed. I burnt three cigars and ate half a bag of Levi Garrett so maybe I burnt my tastebuds today idk

Outside of your handle this post is instructive on several levels.

The heart wants what it wants though.

I’m a big proponent of the 114 as a fall back position in almost every situation. It’s the one bottle I find I always have at the ready. For better or for worse. For richer or poorer. Sicker and in health.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Is this a picture of every release from Buffalo Trace for the past several years? Also, I can't tell what those two bottles are in between the Blanton's and the ORVW on the top left. One is in a box and the other is the size size and shape as the Van Winkles. 

That's the basement of my dreams, is what that is.  

• Like 1

Is this a picture of every release from Buffalo Trace for the past several years? Also, I can't tell what those two bottles are in between the Blanton's and the ORVW on the top left. One is in a box and the other is the size size and shape as the Van Winkles. 

That's the basement of my dreams, is what that is.  

Yeah, it’s not the best pic as I couldn’t get any closer due to the iron gate under lock and key. Seeing that many BTAC bottles in one location was almost surreal. I’ve never wanted to be a successful heist man more in all of my life.
  • Like 1

Outside of your handle this post is instructive on several levels.

The heart wants what it wants though.

I’m a big proponent of the 114 as a fall back position in almost every situation. It’s the one bottle I find I always have at the ready. For better or for worse. For richer or poorer. Sicker and in health.

Im a fan of the 114 as well and the regular OGD isnt too bad either. It's what I use when I get the hankering for a bourbon and coke

16 hours ago, thestud said:

Not hearing good things about it.

On an unrelated note, I set up my own quadruple blind tasting tonight. Poured four 4oz drams and had my wife mix them up. OGD 114, BT non SP, HM BiB and Old Ezra 7 BS.

OGD 114 won.

Not even a fair fight, for BT at 90 proof against two high proofs , and a BIB... IMHO

Edited by RaylanGivens