Bourbon

Jimbaround

If any of you Houston guys like fancy drinking, the downtown bar Public Services is doing a bourbon tasting with only allocated bottles. WLW, Handy, GTS, and 3 van winkles for $70 pp. 2 dates for this one, June 15 and 22.

They do these classes for wine, champagne, and scotch too, usually once a month. Justin Vann is the guy who runs it, and he's a great guy to meet. Extremely knowledgeable and passionate about wine and spirits, and the dude just enjoys the hell out of hosting this stuff. He really makes it more fun than just simply drinking, he likes to give history, answer questions and walk you through tasting notes.

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

If any of you Houston guys like fancy drinking, the downtown bar Public Services is doing a bourbon tasting with only allocated bottles. WLW, Handy, GTS, and 3 van winkles for $70 pp. 2 dates for this one, June 15 and 22.

They do these classes for wine, champagne, and scotch too, usually once a month. Justin Vann is the guy who runs it, and he's a great guy to meet. Extremely knowledgeable and passionate about wine and spirits, and the dude just enjoys the hell out of hosting this stuff. He really makes it more fun than just simply drinking, he likes to give history, answer questions and walk you through tasting notes.

Link?

I found it. Never mind.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Dutch thanks for the suggestion. I booked my ticket for the 15th.

Dutch thanks for the suggestion. I booked my ticket for the 15th.

No prob, my wife actually sent it to me because she gets all their emails for wine classes. First time I have seen them do a bourbon set. I'll be going the 22nd, but kinda thought about doing both...

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

that's a helluva price.  6 of the rarest, most sought after bourbons out there for $70?  i'd jump all over that.  I've paid $125 for the 5 btacs, and another $125 for the five pappy's.  there was some other shit that came with that, but still.

51 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

that's a helluva price.  6 of the rarest, most sought after bourbons out there for $70?  i'd jump all over that.  I've paid $125 for the 5 btacs, and another $125 for the five pappy's.  there was some other shit that came with that, but still.

Is Potente still offering the 5 Pappys for $125? 

I have been to wine tastings there where you got 2 ounces of 6 $100-200 wines. They do you right at Public Services

21 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

First time buying an open bottle off someone, but after a sample last week, just had to. Not a bad deal at $75. Little over 500ml.
dc53c4830ec851aca37d3cc281a0914d.jpg

open bottles scare me off, unless its such a good deal that even if it's fake or bad, it would still be worth it.  i'd love to have a bottle of parker heritage, or hell even try a sip.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

open bottles scare me off, unless its such a good deal that even if it's fake or bad, it would still be worth it.  i'd love to have a bottle of parker heritage, or hell even try a sip.

I went in halfsies on a bottle of that.  I need to go collect.

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

I wouldn't buy an open bottle off of BSM, but the couple of local groups I am a part of is pretty dang trustworthy.  And if someone happened to pass off a fake bottle, it would end badly for them.

Caught a hanger...

Rounders-Caughta-Hanger.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@Dutchrudder Other than the upcoming BTAC/Pappy tasting, does your boy at Public Services have any high end bourbon flights? Potente is out of the 5 Pappy Flight. 

I'm not aware of anything super rare, but they do have RVW 10 or 12 sometimes. Weller 12 or Antique is often $5 a pour on happy hour, which is a great deal. They will do flights if you ask about it, and they are willing to customize them . Their natural wine selection is the best I have ever seen at a bar in Houston. 

It's a nice, historic, classy bar in downtown Houston, which is tough to find. Check out their pics on Yelp, lots of cool flights of wine and whiskey:  https://www.yelp.com/biz/public-services-wine-and-whisky-houston

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 12:25 PM, thrillhammer said:

I think it is pretty unlikely you're going to get a fake open bottle. The seller would know you are going to drink it and would likely be able to tell it was fake. 

20 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm not aware of anything super rare, but they do have RVW 10 or 12 sometimes. Weller 12 or Antique is often $5 a pour on happy hour, which is a great deal. They will do flights if you ask about it, and they are willing to customize them . Their natural wine selection is the best I have ever seen at a bar in Houston. 

It's a nice, historic, classy bar in downtown Houston, which is tough to find. Check out their pics on Yelp, lots of cool flights of wine and whiskey:  https://www.yelp.com/biz/public-services-wine-and-whisky-houston

I think the plan right now is to stick around at Public Services after the BTAC Tasting and see if they have anymore good stuff. Might as well. 

On 12/27/2018 at 5:49 PM, BigDHornfan said:

As good as the TB Bourbon is,
This one kicks its ass IMO.
My favorite Balcones.
468dbb701129fb88e247060851157cee.jpg

Really long, sorry about that. TL/DR: what’s a good value of the bottles listed below?

So in the first ~15 pages of this thread I lost out when an unknowing cashier tried to “up sell” me on GTS/WLW at $59/49. I thought it was a scam for a variety of reasons but went back later in the day,  except the owner was there this time and was like “nah, those are $899/699.” Fuck me... so I wandered the wilderness too pissed to return to this thread. But I did get a YPY at $72 from a place down the block. It was good, would get it again and got a chuckle out of comparing it to an old overholt one night during March madness. Also, tried chatting up the owners there but they had no clue what they had since they’ve run dry on anything more exotic than sazerac rye and one blantons (at $125!)

Anyway, found another place that seems to know their stuff. Has ER on sale for $33 which is unheard of in NYC. That got me searching again and made me go through this entire thread in the last week, so in addition to the ER and a son of bourye ($44), what should I get from the below if I’ve never tried any of them? I might have had one glass of blantons once but that was months ago. oh yeah, the ones below are the “good values” i could find since weller preserve is 90+, OWA 115, W12 150-200+:

blantons regular-85

RY 10-$69

EH Taylor Small-$47 

EH TAYLOR Rye-$66

ETL-$79 (if it’s still there although this was a hole in the wall place in queens)

true blue cask strength-$74 

I also ask because prices here compared to what most of y’all see are insANE. I already ruled out KO confiscated because it was 134 so while there isn’t much mark up, I just can’t out of principle shell out 150 for blantons, W12, and forget about any pappy stuff that’s all north of 1G.  And for that cost, the KO reviews a few pages back killed it for me.  I’m looking for good tasting stuff that won’t Piss me off when I visit Austin and it’s 50-150 dollars cheaper.

also what happened to blantons?! A warehouse explode or something? That’s the other reason I came back to this thread. In the last year it went from high of 85, most places in 60s to 100, 125, and 85 as the rare low.

11 minutes ago, achooloco said:

blantons regular-85

RY 10-$69

EH Taylor Small-$47 

EH TAYLOR Rye-$66

ETL-$79 (if it’s still there although this was a hole in the wall place in queens)

true blue cask strength-$74 

yes

To elaborate I would immediately buy the RY10 and ETL at those prices in Houston and skip all the way to my car.

Edited by huge
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, thestud said:

What stinks is that about two months ago it went up $10 to $69. It was flush around here for $54-$59

I don't want to hear any bitching.  My local place, which has an amazing selection and is typically is quite competitive in pricing, priced RY10 at $99 as soon as it came out.  Bastards.   

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Am I crazy for not being in love in Rebel Yell 10? I'd pass for $70.  I like it, but I like Ezra 7 Barrel Strength better. 

I haven't had it in a year since I can't find it, so you might be right, I dunno.  I know I really liked it back then.  Haven't seen Ezra 7BS in the wild up here at all.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

I haven't had it in a year since I can't find it, so you might be right, I dunno.  I know I really liked it back then.  Haven't seen Ezra 7BS in the wild up here at all.

Picked up two more bottles at Spec's in Houston. They had maybe three more bottles on the shelf. I went to the beer section and came back and they were gone. Timing is everything. That stuff flies off the shelf down here. 

4 hours ago, huge said:

yes

To elaborate I would immediately buy the RY10 and ETL at those prices in Houston and skip all the way to my car.

This is the correct answer. 

EHT Rye doesn’t suck either 

Edited by Neonmoon

God damnit. My local liquor stores on facebook don't show up in my newsfeed. This was posted two days ago, apparently sold out that day. Fuck me, I've never seen Weller 12 on a shelf, and Eagle Rare has been tough to find too. The only time I've bought W12 in Tulsa was when I asked about it and the guy luckily had one in the back.

Image may contain: indoor

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Am I crazy for not being in love in Rebel Yell 10? I'd pass for $70.  I like it, but I think Ezra 7 Barrel Strength is better and it's only $30. Both brands are owned by Lux Row.

Saw y’all rec that one too a couple pages back and thought I saw it priced at $99, but actually only “$49”. I’ll put it on the list if the RY10 and ETL are out. 

thanks for suggestions!  going for the ER/ETL after work

40 minutes ago, 'stache said:

God damnit. My local liquor stores on facebook don't show up in my newsfeed. This was posted two days ago, apparently sold out that day. Fuck me, I've never seen Weller 12 on a shelf, and Eagle Rare has been tough to find too. The only time I've bought W12 in Tulsa was when I asked about it and the guy luckily had one in the back.

Image may contain: indoor

Ouch.  

14 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

$70? Who is paying $70 for RY10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every single person buying a bottle from another person I would wager.

Secondary market and all

(ducks)

I also find it fascinating where someone draws the line at spending money. For example, $50 bottle is an easy yes but $70 means you’re an insane person who’s a tater. Yet most will go drop $100-150 on a nice dinner without thinking twice. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I also find it fascinating where someone draws the line at spending money. For example, $50 bottle is an easy yes but $70 means you’re an insane person who’s a tater. Yet most will go drop $100-150 on a nice dinner without thinking twice. 

As a bourbon drinker I enjoy this thread, but I go a step further.  It's really hard for me to spend more than say $40 per bottle for any bourbon.  I can find so much pleasure from bourbons under $30 (regular Weller, Larceny, WT101, etc.) that I don't see the need to spend more on something I don't really get that much more enjoyment out of.  I drink Blanton's and other sought after bourbons quite often at my drinking hole (they are fairly priced) and while I like it, I would never spend $50+ for it.  I've also found some W12 in the wild and I have a few bottles.  Each time I drink it side by side with regular Weller I can't tell the difference.  That may mean I am a shitty taster and that may be the case.  That could be a blessing, not a curse.  With Weller Antique I do tell the difference, probably due to the higher alcohol, but unless I happen upon a bottle I would not go out of my way to buy it and spend a premium on it.