Bourbon

Jimbaround

12 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Started to run out of room on the bar and the wife said I couldn’t put shelves up anywhere else in the house. And I got tired of her bitching about storing backups in her wine cabinet so when we were at Ikea the other day, I got a cheap bookcase. Problem solved.
83b6ff33ad5189b43cd384694afa3caa.jpg

Bless you, sir. Been looking for that McKenna BiB for months now. What's in the decanter? 

Sorry if already talked about, but does anyone have a 20 on some Eagle Rare in San Antonio/Austin? 

6 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Bless you, sir. Been looking for that McKenna BiB for months now. What's in the decanter? 

Sorry if already talked about, but does anyone have a 20 on some Eagle Rare in San Antonio/Austin? 

Decanter is my Rye infinity bottle.  Bottle behind it is the bourbon infinity bottle.  

• Like 1

Started to run out of room on the bar and the wife said I couldn’t put shelves up anywhere else in the house. And I got tired of her bitching about storing backups in her wine cabinet so when we were at Ikea the other day, I got a cheap bookcase. Problem solved.

I use the same one at my derby party every year.

6c1b5c982b331ca755b9bc61c6f5645a.jpg
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Whore-----der

14 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

I'd prefer that MTB somewhere inside close to me

Michters Toasted Barrel?  There are 2 bars in Houston that it can be had for a terribly reasonable price.

Edited by huge
clarification

9 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

The humidor on the kitchen counter is a nice touch

• Like 1

6 hours ago, huge said:

Also...Specs Mothership has a lot of interesting Barrel offerings currently.  Rye, Single Barrel Rye, Store pick Single Barrel Rye, Dovetail, Single Barrel Cask Strength Bourbon, etc.

I might give the Dovetail a try. Otherwise I'm out on the Dickel juice. The Dickel 13 BiB will almost certainly be the last bottle I buy. 

https://thetakeout.com/utah-bourbon-liquor-lottery-drawing-elmer-t-lee-1835906611

A state law means alcohol can only be sold at cost plus an 88% markup, rendering bottles of liquor that would go for hundreds of dollars in other states much cheaper within Utah’s borders. Case in point: When the elusive Pappy Van Winkle goes on sale at state liquor stores in Utah, a 20-year bottle costs about $160 (here it is on Drizly starting at $1,499)—yes, stampedes ensue when it hits stores

anyone live in Utah?

On 6/22/2019 at 2:14 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I just mixed the last 4oz of my Willet Pot Still Reserve Bourbon with Sprite because it was the worst whiskey I had handy.

I finished off my purple label Black Maple Hill with Coke last weekend. It was that bad. Worst whiskey purchase I’ve ever made for the price. 

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof has hit Houston. I bought a bottle just to have it. I wasn't impressed with the batch I bought last year. 

Has anybody tried the Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel? The Russells are pushing the hell out of it every time you put a microphone in front of them. I assume it's pretty good, but it doesn't seem to be selling well, or not as as well as Rare Breed. 

On 6/21/2019 at 6:43 PM, Neonmoon said:

I told myself I would save the RHF. That was a lie. I’m going through it faster than a dog shits crayons 

I found one yesterday. Just one. Gonna finish a few open bottles before I crack it, but I expect it to go way too quickly. 

I can confirm Wild Turkey Rare Breed is excellent. I think Wild Turkey has an price/age statement problem. If Rare Bird was $200, and a 12+ year age statement, the taters would be going nuts. 

Bourbon Pursuit Episode 207 with Jimmy Russell highlights: 

- You can yell Jimmy doesn't like rye. I've heard it a couple times now, but Jimmy hinted at it again. He thought so little of rye that Wild Turkey sourced it for years from Maryland. He gave a long answer on why they did this. Basically, for a long time rye was considered an East Coast grain and the only good ryes were made in Maryland and Pennsylvania. Maryland was to rye as Kentucky was to bourbon. 

- They can't distill from June to August because the river water is too hot to cool the distillate. 

- He usually hits the Wild Turkey Gift Shop at 3:30 most days if y'all are interested in meeting him. 

- The proof of all Wild Turkey products comes off the still at 116 proof. 

- He thinks the ideal floors for aging bourbon are 3 and 5 in a 7 story rickhouse. At times there's a 30 degree difference between floors 1 and 7. 

- Jimmy started working at Wild Turkey in 1954

- Jimmy told a cool story about 4 generations of Russells and Noes growing up together. 

- Before the Bourbon Bust in the 1970s, 12 distilleries operated out of Lawrenceburg Kentucky. There are now just two. Wild Turkey and Four Roses. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I can confirm Wild Turkey Rare Breed is excellent. I think Wild Turkey has an price/age statement problem. If Rare Bird was $200, and a 12+ year age statement, the taters would be going nuts. 

Bourbon Pursuit Episode 207 with Jimmy Russell highlights: 

- You can yell Jimmy doesn't like rye. I've heard it a couple times now, but Jimmy hinted at it again. He thought so little of rye that Wild Turkey sourced it for years from Maryland. He gave a long answer on why they did this. Basically, for a long time rye was considered an East Coast grain and the only good ryes were made in Maryland and Pennsylvania. Maryland was to rye as Kentucky was to bourbon. 

- They can't distill from June to August because the river water is too hot to cool the distillate. 

- He usually hits the Wild Turkey Gift Shop at 3:30 most days if y'all are interested in meeting him. 

- The proof of all Wild Turkey products comes off the still at 116 proof. 

- He thinks the ideal floors for aging bourbon are 3 and 5 in a 7 story rickhouse. At times there's a 30 degree difference between floors 1 and 7. 

- Jimmy started working at Wild Turkey in 1954

- Jimmy told a cool story about 4 generations of Russells and Noes growing up together. 

- Before the Bourbon Bust in the 1970s, 12 distilleries operated out of Lawrenceburg Kentucky. There are now just two. Wild Turkey and Four Roses. 

He actually said 3rd, 4rth and 5th Floors were his favorites. Jimmy is a hoot.

https://youtu.be/tCEo0YeFccw

Edited by RaylanGivens

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof has hit Houston. I bought a bottle just to have it. I wasn't impressed with the batch I bought last year. 

Has anybody tried the Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel? The Russells are pushing the hell out of it every time you put a microphone in front of them. I assume it's pretty good, but it doesn't seem to be selling well, or not as as well as Rare Breed. 

What batch did you find? I bought an A119 last week. I've enjoyed batches A117 and C118. 

I splurged today with the wife in tow. She OK'ed it, but I'll hear about it in the near future. 

I picked up a handle of Eagle Rare, Michter's Rye Barrel Strength, and another bottle of Knob Creek 25. 

First time I've ever seen the Michter's in the wild, and the first time I've seen a handle of ER10 in probably two years. I paid $10 mark up on each bottle, oh well. 

• Like 1

I splurged today with the wife in tow. She OK'ed it, but I'll hear about it in the near future. 
I picked up a handle of Eagle Rare, Michter's Rye Barrel Strength, and another bottle of Knob Creek 25. 
First time I've ever seen the Michter's in the wild, and the first time I've seen a handle of ER10 in probably two years. I paid $10 mark up on each bottle, oh well. 

That Michters Rye BS is fucking tremendous.
Jealous!

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I buy ER10 whenever I see it, and I don’t give a fuck if it’s 10 or 20 upcharge. 

I'm there too. Stuff has changed. ER10 was my go to/only Sunday drinker. I could reliably pick up enough bottles to just drink it whenever. 

Buy ER10 whenever and wherever it shows up. 

Austin guys, I assume ER10 isn't on the shelf on Twin Liquors anymore? 

McKenna Single Barrel 10 is a strange one for me. People were talking it up last year, but it was on the shelf. I haven't seen it in the wild in over a year. I think it's good, but certainly not non-existent on the shelf good. There are a few bottles that sit on the shelf that are better, Rare Breed is a good example. Did Heaven Hill run into a shortage and there will be a lot more next year? 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Haven’t seen ER on shelves at twin. Or at least the ones at four points and cedar park.

Finally got a bottle of RY10 and picked up a bottle of legent to go with it. Will be trying them over the holiday weekend. Have other bottles and beers to get to first.