Bourbon

Jimbaround

Drinking some KCSB now that I found on sale for 40% off, I purchased three bottles. Pretty hot bourbon at 120 but I enjoy it.

And I scored four 750ml bottles of Weller 12 at cost today. Good day, didn’t have to use my AK. That brings my inventory to 9.5 bottles.

7 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Drinking some KCSB now that I found on sale for 40% off, I purchased three bottles. Pretty hot bourbon at 120 but I enjoy it.

And I scored four 750ml bottles of Weller 12 at cost today. Good day, didn’t have to use my AK. That brings my inventory to 9.5 bottles.

I'm not even going to suggest opening up it up to let it breath some because I'll get shouted down. 

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I took a deeper dive on the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky. It looks like it basically makes a reverse C from Louisville to Jim Beam in Clermont. Along the way are the following: Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey,  Four Roses, Heaven Hill, and finally Jim Beam. 

I'm sure the night life is pretty decent in Louisville, but my focus would be on the gift shops at Michter's and Old Forester. 

While at Wild Turkey could you ask, “what the fuck were y’all thinking with Longbranch?” for me please?

1 minute ago, Constant said:

While at Wild Turkey could you ask, “what the fuck were y’all thinking with Longbranch?” for me please?

Jimmy Russell gave a pretty lengthy explanation for Longbranch on the Bourbon Pursuit Podcast. It might have been Episode 207. 

Basically, he said the Minister of Culture picked it out. It sounds like the Russells sent McConaughey dozens of samples until they found one they all liked. I don't think it went down like a traditional barrel pick at the distillery. 

It was pretty fascinating. The Bourbon Pursuit guys were of course super polite and threw Jimmy plenty of softballs, but they did ask him if he disliked rye, which is a pretty open secret. Jimmy gave a pretty long answer about how rye wasn't really their focus in the past. Wild Turkey would make rye in the seasons when they couldn't make bourbon and it was very brief window. He also said his son was in charge of the rye projects. 

Jimmy also said they barrel everything at 117-119 proof and they won't go higher. His cited taste as the primary reason for this. It seems a bit stubborn to me, but he's worked there since 1954 and obviously knows much better than I do. 

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jimmy Russell gave a pretty lengthy explanation for Longbranch on the Bourbon Pursuit Podcast. It might have been Episode 207. 

Basically, he said the Minister of Culture picked it out. It sounds like the Russells sent McConaughey dozens of samples until they found one they all liked. I don't think it went down like a traditional barrel pick at the distillery. 

It was pretty fascinating. The Bourbon Pursuit guys were of course super polite and threw Jimmy plenty of softballs, but they did ask him if he disliked rye, which is a pretty open secret. Jimmy gave a pretty long answer about how rye wasn't really their focus in the past. Wild Turkey would make rye in the seasons when they couldn't make bourbon and it was very brief window. He also said his son was in charge of the rye projects. 

Jimmy also said they barrel everything at 117-119 proof and they won't go higher. His cited taste as the primary reason for this. It seems a bit stubborn to me, but he's worked there since 1954 and obviously knows much better than I do. 

I don’t mean to slander professionals that have a much better understanding of things than I. I just don’t like it’s flavor profile at such a low proof. Feel like it’s an adventurous project they just came up short on. 

7 hours ago, Constant said:

I don’t mean to slander professionals that have a much better understanding of things than I. I just don’t like it’s flavor profile at such a low proof. Feel like it’s an adventurous project they just came up short on. 

I’m pretty convinced low proof decisions are passed 99% on volume rather than taste. I guess the counter argument would be well, Jack Daniels Old No. 7 is the best selling bourbon ever and it’s only 80 proof. 

I think most of the bourbon connoisseurs will tell you the sweet spot is 110 proof aged 8-12 years. As long it’s not Dickel, it’s pretty hard to mess up those ranges. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m pretty convinced low proof decisions are passed 99% on volume rather than taste. I guess the counter argument would be well, Jack Daniels Old No. 7 is the best selling bourbon ever and it’s only 80 proof. 

I think most of the bourbon connoisseurs will tell you the sweet spot is 110 proof aged 8-12 years. As long it’s not Dickel, it’s pretty hard to mess up those ranges. 

Obligatory- Jack Daniel's aint bourbon.  ;)

I was at the mothership specs since I was in the area yesterday.  Standing on the bourbon aisle I heard the cooler guy of the two that patrol the area take some phone calls about W12.

He did compliment my choices, told me the ETBIB was "best juice you can find under $25"

juice...

29 minutes ago, huge said:

I was at the mothership specs since I was in the area yesterday.  Standing on the bourbon aisle I heard the cooler guy of the two that patrol the area take some phone calls about W12.

He did compliment my choices, told me the ETBIB was "best juice you can find under $25"

juice...

Well, well... Ole Bill was right. 

2 hours ago, thestud said:

I haven’t seen the W12 this plentiful in several years. With this massive drop and Fuckerberg booting all of the secondary pages off of Facebook I’m hoping that this is the start of an awesome trend

That'd be greatly welcomed.  Unfortunately the FB secondary is hitting the stores.  Beverage Depot on I-30 and Garland had everything currently being hoarded/flipped at 3x-10x retail... comical. 

Edited by Hornsareus

2 hours ago, thestud said:

I haven’t seen the W12 this plentiful in several years. With this massive drop and Fuckerberg booting all of the secondary pages off of Facebook I’m hoping that this is the start of an awesome trend

Is that what happened? I was wondering why a few guys I know reached out to me about other websites. 

On 7/31/2019 at 8:46 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Still waiting on a call for another bottle of Weller 12. My Weller 12,  Eagle Rare 1o and Blanton's honey hole is dead and buried. 

Specs guys I talked to at three different stores said they were overwhelmed with calls about W12 on Thurs and Fri., most stores only had 1-2 cases, 6 per case, and sold out in a few hours.

Specs guys I talked to at three different stores said they were overwhelmed with calls about W12 on Thurs and Fri., most stores only had 1-2 cases, 6 per case, and sold out in a few hours.

I talked to my Specs girl yesterday and she said they only got 750s this year. No more handles.

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The McKenna 10 shortage is getting frighteningly real. I ordered the last pour they had at Eight Row Flint last night. If ER8 doesn't have something, yeah, I'd say it's in short supply. 

I can find it here in nyc in midtown for like 50-55 (maybe 58?) but I’m not paying that much for it right now (even if this thread has me wanting to get a taste). Wasn’t it like $~20 six months ago?!

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What's everyone paying for a pour of Blantons at their local watering hole ??

IIRC, around $13 for a pour that is generally around 3.5 oz, maybe more if my bartender is feeling generous.  It's not open to the public though.

6 hours ago, achooloco said:

I can find it here in nyc in midtown for like 50-55 (maybe 58?) but I’m not paying that much for it right now (even if this thread has me wanting to get a taste). Wasn’t it like $~20 six months ago?!

At TWs in Houston area, it was $26.99 and the price started to inch up, but was still available,  after it won Best Bourbon and Best Single Barrel bourbon of 2018 in SF.  Things went insane when it won best in Show in Mar. 2019 in SF and Fred Minnick wrote his article for Forbes announcing it to the world.

•  
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Just quoted $278 for W12 at 43rd and 3rd : ( gonna drown my sorrows with eht small batch. Sorry I keep bringing up prices, just goddamn, it’s a beating to drink good bourbon in this city ...

The curse of a good palate.  I apparently have a shitty palate.  This past Wednesday Spec's finally had Weller SR in stock on Memorial and Westcott so I bought a 1.75L.  I think it was around $39.  I went home and tasted it next to some W12 from last year, and I honestly can't tell the difference.  I've mentioned this before, but I can detect some obvious flavors in my booze, but nuances often are lost on me.  Wheated bourbons tend to taste the same to me.  I consider it a blessing.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

The curse of a good palate.  I apparently have a shitty palate.  This past Wednesday Spec's finally had Weller SR in stock on Memorial and Westcott so I bought a 1.75L.  I think it was around $39.  I went home and tasted it next to some W12 from last year, and I honestly can't tell the difference.  I've mentioned this before, but I can detect some obvious flavors in my booze, but nuances often are lost on me.  Wheated bourbons tend to taste the same to me.  I consider it a blessing.

Yea, that's a blessing.   Jealous.