Bourbon

Jimbaround

GTS in the wild, mmmmmmmkay.

now what about the KO trade

I was stunned - Guy always hoards stuff in the back (saw a 1.75 ER10 but it was from a store barrel and he wouldn’t sell) but when he said “eh, I got some Stagg in” and I said “Jr?” and he replied “naw we got the other one too” I damn near feinted.

Paid $200 for her and wouldn’t dream of complaining.

20 hours ago, 'stache said:

Not bourbon, but why do I keep seeing stuff about Crown Royal Peach? I know people are basic, but adding artificially flavored syrup to whiskey before bottling is just criminal in my mind. If you want a whiskey cocktail, use fresh fruit, or at least mix it with your syrup after the fact. 

Because the art of making a cocktail is completely lost in most households.  Instead of enjoying the act of mixing single ingredients, shaking, straining, etc. people want to open a can or bottle and just pour.   It's why you can blow their mind with a freshly made drink.  Or they pay $19 for an artisan made Pink Grapefruit Screwdriver with a Piquante Pepper twist at some trendy bar without realizing they can make a better drink at home for far less. 

On 8/13/2019 at 7:57 PM, thestud said:

Angel’s Envy Finished Rye....I don’t think I like it. Will circle back next week just to verify my palate wasn’t odd but I’m having a hard time formulating a positive opinion of this one.

I thought I liked it at first and now all I get is cinnamon and I have no desire to drink any more of the bottle.

Small vent.  I cannot stand liquor store employee snob.

I will often politely ask if there are any unclaimed allocated bottles.  In this case it was Weller 12 that got released a couple weeks ago.  This guy, who must live in his mom's basement and has the look of the comic book store guy from the Simpsons,  laughs and says "is that even possible" (referring to unclaimed bottles). 

I got quickly pissed and said "Yes, Jackass. That's exactly how I got a bottle last week from a store.  I ask."

Yes, I'm sure they get tired of people asking what aisle the Pappy is on, but the uppity nature towards a a reasonable question around a release continues to piss me off. 

You work in a liquor store.  Fuck off.

• Like 1

I agree with you. I will also take it one step further. I go to one place often. I “foster the relationship” as one might say. I spend money there. I recently bought some Weller 12 there.  In return, I buy a few bottles I probably don’t need. Recently I bought some ER10. I ask if he has anything else in the back maybe worthwhile. I mention some recent releases. He says no. I’m looking for some wine for my wife when a young lady comes in and asks for Blantons. They reluctantly say yes and sell her a bottle. I turn to my guy with a WTF look. He says I didn’t ask for it. 

It is this part of the business I just don’t care for, and when I can afford to, don’t mind paying secondary to avoid this cumbersome bullshit 

• Like 5

I'm well into a bottle of Stagg Jr. Man I just don't know. It has kind of cough syrupy finish that I don't care for. I like the hug and the taste, but I don't care for the finish. It's B to B+ bourbon for me. Definitely worth the money at $50, but not elite by any means. I kind of wish they'd shelf Stagg Jr. and make more George T. Stagg. 

What the hell happened to EH Taylor Full Proof? I haven't seen or heard about in a couple years. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm well into a bottle of Stagg Jr. Man I just don't know. It has kind of cough syrupy finish that I don't care for. I like the hug and the taste, but I don't care for the finish. It's B to B+ bourbon for me. Definitely worth the money at $50, but not elite by any means. I kind of wish they'd shelf Stagg Jr. and make more George T. Stagg. 

What the hell happened to EH Taylor Full Proof? I haven't seen or heard about in a couple years. 

It hasn’t been released this year yet. 

Releases:

Batch 1                   – 134.5-proof (67.25%)

Batch 2                   – 135.4-proof (67.7%)

Batch 3                   – 129.0-proof (64.5%)

Batch 4                   – 127.2-proof (63.6%)

Batch 5 (May 2016)  – 127.5-proof (63.75%)

Batch 6 (May 2017)  – 128.1-proof (64.05%)

Batch 7 (2018)         – 129.7-proof (64.85%

On 8/16/2019 at 9:15 AM, Party_Taco said:

On the more gentlemanly side of the maple conundrum lies purity in multiple forms:

97ac9b3b10deb6c79489b2d0048dc7d6.jpg

On a hunch, I dropped by a local honey hole looking for Weller, but came out with these boys instead. I know this isn’t the tequila thread, but if you have an appreciation for the juice, those Sazerac barrels work wonders!

Interested in some Weller 12 for the Stagg?

I went to perhaps the worst liquor store in the United States today outside of Vail. Buffalo Trace was the best bourbon they had in stock. Granted it was a small store, but it doesn’t make it right. 
How long are you there? Some Denver liquor stores will deliver to the mountains. Applejack and Lukas do for sure.

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
58 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
I went to perhaps the worst liquor store in the United States today outside of Vail. Buffalo Trace was the best bourbon they had in stock. Granted it was a small store, but it doesn’t make it right. 

How long are you there? Some Denver liquor stores will deliver to the mountains. Applejack and Lukas do for sure.

Interesting. That’s pretty wild a liquor store would deliver liquor 160 miles round trip. 

• Like 1

Pig Liquors in San Antonio shipment today: another bust. 

Best they got was a case of EH Taylor Small Batch. Already had a bottle so walked out empty handed again. 

Heading to Flagstaff for a week. Perhaps the mountainfolk will have left something on the shelves for me. 

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
58 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Interesting. That’s pretty wild a liquor store would deliver liquor 160 miles round trip. 

You need to get out more. Until you’ve been in a place with Jim Beam as the high end option you have no room to complain.
  • Haha 1

I love that RHF

It’s delicious. It’s also depressing.

Gents, I am exceptionally well stocked right now. I have just a lot of very good bourbon (among other things) that I have not touched since May, and I haven’t had a drink of any kind since mid-July due to a long lingering and thus-far mysterious GI issue that started with an infection in April. So I’m dry at the moment and for the foreseeable future, doctors orders.

Still love the thread, and I’m looking forward to getting back to the subject matter personally (in moderation, naturally), but it’s probably going to be awhile. So if it seems like I’ve got my nose pressed up against the glass at times, I do.

/ohpoorme

P.S.

Given my radically diminished capacity for consumption, I could stand to thin things out because I’m not interested in hoarding.

No, I’m not interested in bad trades or lowball offers, assholes. But I will entertain reasonable exchange of value.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Intersting. It’s been compared to Bookers Rye and generally gets positive reviews.  Looking forward to trying it tonight.

I haven’t had Booker’s Rye but I’ve had a couple dozen ryes and this one isn’t that special.  

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Fuck that guy 

Por que? I know I couldn't get through his book, but his recommendations are generally good. 

Unless you just don't like him because he's partly responsible for the bourbon shortage we see today, in which case I agree - fuck that guy. 

8 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Por que? I know I couldn't get through his book, but his recommendations are generally good. 

Unless you just don't like him because he's partly responsible for the bourbon shortage we see today, in which case I agree - fuck that guy. 

Pretty much. And the hypocrisy of him criticizing certain bourbon producers and then promoting the same shit on bourbon he’s a part owner. 

• Like 1