Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 9/29/2019 at 3:30 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Do you have to go to certain liquor stores in San Antonio to get a good selection of brands ?  Hit one last night in the Pearl district after the airport drive. Nothing but very average offerings other than Makers and Bulleit 10 year (which we got and are drinking currently).

There's a good hole in the wall shop near the Pearl that I got a bottle of EC Barrel Proof. They had a lot of Eagle Rare, McKenna 10, Hancock's, etc. You still in town? 

Today picked up old forester 1910. Apparently it’s a double oaked bourbon like Woodford reserve double oaked but with more char. The store owner I bought it from said its allocated and he only got two bottles. I’ve only seen the 1920 before but not the 1910. Is it really that hard to find?

1910 is very delicious and very hard to get.

Picked up a couple of bottles of Hancock’s President’s Reserve this week.  Cracked one tonight and it’s not going to win any awards for being edgy or unique, but damn it nails the easy drinking notes and a little of my favorite stone fruit on the palate.  Call it Blanton’s for when Blanton’s seems to aggressive.  Also only $46 so there’s that.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, USCATX said:

Picked up a couple of bottles of Hancock’s President’s Reserve this week.  Cracked one tonight and it’s not going to win any awards for being edgy or unique, but damn it nails the easy drinking notes and a little of my favorite stone fruit on the palate.  Call it Blanton’s for when Blanton’s seems to aggressive.  Also only $46 so there’s that.  

It doesn’t  have the Kentucky Hug elements of Blanton’s, but I think it’s a more complex bourbon. This is pretty tough to do at a lower proof. 

I never liked the “Blanton’s substitute”  moniker given to Hancock’s. This probably came from the Buffalo Trace mash bill crowd. In my opinion, the two bourbons are unique. As I’ve stated before, Hancock’s is a personal favorite of mine, and I prefer it to regular Blanton’s. 

Enjoy. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It doesn’t  have the Kentucky Hug elements of Blanton’s, but I think it’s a more complex bourbon. This is pretty tough to do at a lower proof. 

I never liked the “Blanton’s substitute”  moniker given to Hancock’s. This probably came from the Buffalo Trace mash bill crowd. In my opinion, the two bourbons are unique. As I’ve stated before, Hancock’s is a personal favorite of mine, and I prefer it to regular Blanton’s. 

Enjoy. 

if blantons were more available it might very well be the only bourbon i'd ever drink.  it's a fantastic bourbon.  i said a couple of posts up that i'd found a bottle of parker heritage.  it was hancocks reserve i have a bottle of.  havent cracked it open yet.  it seems way more rare than blantons to me.  I've found 5 bottles of blantons before i found a bottle of hancocks reserve.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Nothing like rolling into a store today and seeing ER, 1910, and OWA on the shelf. 

I’m going to miss these days in the future

I think you were where I was today.  picked up a bottle of eagle rare for $43.  i have an unopen bottle but haven't seen it in awhile so pulled the trigger.  she had of1910 but I've got that too and passed.  it's 1897 I need a bottle of next.

I think you were where I was today.  picked up a bottle of eagle rare for $43.  i have an unopen bottle but haven't seen it in awhile so pulled the trigger.  she had of1910 but I've got that too and passed.  it's 1897 I need a bottle of next.

Have you tried the 1897?
It doesn’t hold a candle to the 10 or the 20.
Hell, I like the OF Statesman better than the 1897.
  • Like 1

Have you tried the 1897?

49 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Well, gents... it seems I’ll be moving to Greece. The selection here is outstanding!

2bf8d945fa1ccdbeb64d0083a2a52866.jpg
6b3a125942debf1b58fe46d899571b87.jpg
552c1d2abb723b5de65212e7805ef24b.jpg

And, since you’ve been patient:
71d86a94bcab388521ee2d8ac87eb953.jpg

That Sazerac bottle is a ‘14 by the way...

You can buy the Pappy and BTAC for less on secondary. 

I am curious what they are charging for Blantons Gold and Michters 10

I picked up a bottle of BG for $140 USD, was the same price for the Direct from Barrel and the Special Reserve was $80

Can’t remember the 10 exactly, but think it was around $100

Totally agree on the prices for the big boys (main reason I didn’t leave with one) but I was simply surprised to see them on the shelf... been a while!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Have you tried the 1897?

Subjective opinion is subjective. My personal fave of the 4 is always the 1870 Original Batch.

Wouldn’t kick any of them out of bed, though. 4 very distinct bottles. All still very easily acquired in my neighborhood. 

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

I picked up a bottle of BG for $140 USD, was the same price for the Direct from Barrel and the Special Reserve was $80

Can’t remember the 10 exactly, but think it was around $100

Totally agree on the prices for the big boys (main reason I didn’t leave with one) but I was simply surprised to see them on the shelf... been a while!

Going to non bourbon-loving countries can be a both a blessing and a curse.  I picked up a bottle of 15 yr Pappy in South Africa for less than American retail that had been sitting on the shelf for 4 years that included a thick layer of dust.  You could also buy Blanton’s Gold by the case if you wanted to.  However, if you walked into a random bar your choices generally consisted of Jack Daniels and Jack Daniels. 

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I still have never tried Blantons Gold. I need to remedy that. Might have to bite the secondary bullet 

Is Blanton’s Gold so much bette?  I had some in London last year and found it to be fine, but not appreciably different from what we buy in the States. 

Purely my opinion, of course, but I don’t get the mythical status. 

1 hour ago, After irth said:

Is Blanton’s Gold so much bette?  I had some in London last year and found it to be fine, but not appreciably different from what we buy in the States. 

Purely my opinion, of course, but I don’t get the mythical status. 

The mythical status is, IMO, strictly due to the fact that it’s not available at a retailer in the states.  It’s been a few years, but it is very good, as is regular Blanton’s, with a higher proof point, which I certainly approve of. If I could purchase it on a regular basis at the price it cost me in SA (around $60 IIRC) I wouldn’t drink anything else, but that isn’t happening.

Where in the fuck is all the good bourbon in Texarkana? I think I know the answer, so moving on to my next question:

Will be in Dallas this weekend (Las Colinas). Where can I go to find y'all's good booze on the shelf?

Edited by Eggo

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

Where in the fuck is all the good bourbon in Texarkana? I think I know the answer, so moving on to my next question:

Will be in Dallas this weekend (Las Colinas). Where can I go to find y'all's good booze on the shelf?

We ain't telling you shit Yankee!  Hands off our liker!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

We ain't telling you shit Yankee!  Hands off our liker!

I live in San Antonio, homes (I think that's what I'm supposed to say). Either way, looking for a good sports bar/restaurant with a good bourbon selection to watch the game on Saturday since I don't have tickets and my lady (no pics) won't let me spend $600.

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

I live in San Antonio, homes (I think that's what I'm supposed to say). Either way, looking for a good sports bar/restaurant with a good bourbon selection to watch the game on Saturday since I don't have tickets and my lady (no pics) won't let me spend $600.

Union Bear at 121 and Dallas N Tollway has a great bourbon selection and pretty good food.  Can catch the game at the bar.
Whiskey Cake (couple of locations) has a great selection but not suitable for watching the game.

18 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Union Bear at 121 and Dallas N Tollway has a great bourbon selection and pretty good food.  Can catch the game at the bar.
Whiskey Cake (couple of locations) has a great selection but not suitable for watching the game.

LOL you must really hate me to send me from Las Colinas out to Frisco. I've actually been out to Union Bear during a conference at the Omni. Good spot. 

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

LOL you must really hate me to send me from Las Colinas out to Frisco. I've actually been out to Union Bear during a conference at the Omni. Good spot. 

There is a whiskey cake right near Las Colinas, just not sure how many tv's they have in the bar.  Maybe check with Taverna Rossa in Southlake.
I'm just going by the places I know of with a better than normal bourbon selection. All the sports bars here suck on that end.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

There is a whiskey cake right near Las Colinas, just not sure how many tv's they have in the bar.  Maybe check with Taverna Rossa in Southlake.
I'm just going by the places I know of with a better than normal bourbon selection. All the sports bars here suck on that end.

Champp’s used to have a great selection and will likely have all the TVs on the game.

On 10/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, Bert Orange said:

Four letter store in Houston has made outbound calls on Weller Full Proof. It has landed. 

Doing some research this weekend. It landed at about 4-5 locations with most lf that being a allocated for bars and restaurants. So, not so much. 

Edited by RaylanGivens