Bourbon

Jimbaround

18 hours ago, Okie State said:

I'm just starting out, but the Eagle Rare 10 Yr is my favorite so far followed by the 1910. I need a couple Ryes and was probably going to pick up a Four Roses Small Batch Select. Rare Breed is a bit too stout for me unless I add some ice cubes.

If I wanna catch a quick buzz, it's (2) 3 finger pours, and one ice cube.  I'm a big fan of Rare Breed I find an ice cube kills the alcohol burn pretty nicely allowing some really fine flavors to come forward for a bourbon with a 116 proof.

• Like 1

If I wanna catch a quick buzz, it's (2) 3 finger pours, and one ice cube.  I'm a big fan of Rare Breed I find an ice cube kills the alcohol burn pretty nicely allowing some really fine flavors to come forward for a bourbon with a 116 proof.
I'm acquiring a taste for it. I'm just an amateur so the first drink was a bit of a shock.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm acquiring a taste for it. I'm just an amateur so the first drink was a bit of a shock.

I get that.  It's a bourbon I probably didn't like when I first started drinking bourbon. I stumbled on it a few years ago, and haven't looked back.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

I'm just starting out, but the Eagle Rare 10 Yr is my favorite so far followed by the 1910. I need a couple Ryes and was probably going to pick up a Four Roses Small Batch Select. Rare Breed is a bit too stout for me unless I add some ice cubes.

I know I’m a broken record on this but I think the Bulleit Rye 12 Year is really good. Maybe my favorite.
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The first few bottles I sampled from were a bit underwhelming. The last couple were pretty tasty.

The 12 rye is really smooth but a little thin.  Great for mixing.  Certainly worth buying at least 1.

And isn't that really the bar these days?  Just try to avoid buying something you totally regret in between the things you know you want and like?

• Like 1

The 12 year rye is darned good. It’s MGP. I wish it were a higher proof, but oh well. 

I’m not a big rye fan in general so take my recommendation for what it’s worth. I like the hotter wheated bourbons best.

I do like MWND but that’s a special thing and I don’t think it would make a great cocktail. I consider it an outlier.
  • Like 1

The new Heights Total Wine store has a crap bourbon selection currently as they told me that they basically had the overstock from the other stores.

They are supposed to start getting their own shipments this week.  We will see if that means anything interesting.  

Did grab the last 1910 on the shelf.

15 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:
They also had this:

a5298ac654a1a118a280108973e7adac.jpg

I guess it’s a throwback to the 86 proof years. I didn’t pull the trigger but the handful of reviews I read seem to like it.

So I guess I haven't bought Jack or paid attention since my college days. I didn't even know it wasn't 86 proof anymore.

So I guess.. you don't know ......... jack !!

th-1.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

And where would one hypothetically find a dropped Pappy?

Just waiting for a thinly veiled explanation of developing relationships to drop...

My Houston centric advice: 

I recommend plunking down $75 for a tasting regardless if you score a bottle of Pappy or not. The last one at Public Services was a lot of fun and well worth the money. It was also nice to meet like minded individuals and swap stories. 

Eight Row Flint will sell you a full pour of the Pappys/BTACs at a reasonable price, but I’m not waiting in line all day. 

My final tip is to wait for a new large whiskey bar to open. Distributors have been known to hook up new bars with allocated bottles. When Heights Biergarten opened they sold me a full pour of Pappy 23 for $32. They also had 10, Lot B, 15, and 20. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

I know taste is subjective and all, but IMO the only Pappy worth drinking is the 15 year and ORVW.  The 20 and 23 Pappy tasted like fucking cough medicine to me.  Don't get it at all.

WLW over all of the Pappy's.  No question.

Not that hot of a take at all. ORVW is noticeably better than Lot B, and I liked it better than the 15. 

If I get to pick, I’ll probably go with ORVW over Lot B and Stagg over WLW. The Stagg this year is supposed to be very unique, lowest proof ever. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis