Bourbon

Jimbaround

First impressions of William Larue Weller 2018: 

- At first it tastes like a higher proof Weller 12, but it opens up and becomes more complex. I get why it's a BTAC fan favorite, wheated bourbons are what Buffalo Trace does exceptionally well. No hot takes here, it's really good. 

If given the choice, I'll probably still go with 2019 Stagg over WLW just to try something different. 

Other observations: 

- I don't think Jim Murray is that far off with naming 1792 Full Proof his bourbon of the year. Buffalo Trace figured out how to iron out the kinks of what was a marshmallow bomb. Now it's just an exceptional high proof bourbon. The 2019 Total Wine store pick is one of the better bottles I've had. 124 proof shouldn't go down that smooth. That said, I'd suggest Murray pick one of the Parker's Heritage bottles next year or that Buffalo Trace honk label is really going to be written in stone. 

- I'm admittedly a Buffalo Trace fan, but Heaven Hill is gaining. I'd like to test one of the Parker's Heritage bottles against a BTAC and see what's what. Heaven Hill does some curious stuff to gain market share, but the quality is outstanding. I'll gladly buy a bottle of Heaven Hill 7 if I can find it. I'm just happy we can get it in Texas. 

- I disagree with the Kentucky Owl tater label. It's good, but overpriced. In my opinion, tater picks are both overpriced and poor quality. It pisses people off, but Confiscated was good. They could do some things better. If they put the ages of the blend on the bottle of Confiscated nobody would have batted an eye. I'm disappointed they knocked the age statement down another year and reduced the proof of Rye Batch 3, but I'll give Dixon Dedman a few more batches before I bury him. The Beaumont Inn remains a destination for me. 

- I think the Bourbon Pursuit guys have crossed the line from enthusiasts to profiteers. They constantly hock their single barrel/store pick releases on their podcast. They still bourbon nerd rant on Facebook, flippers, and Pappy Van Winkle, but the soul just isn't there anymore. I think This is My Bourbon Podcast is better. 

- Spec's has finally decided to stop trying to sell me 1835 Peach Bourbon. The last pitch I heard was for the Whitmeyer's blend. It's nice to know I passed their tater test. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Maybe this is an edgelord take, but for the first time in years none of the bourbon I’m giving away for Christmas this year will be a Buffalo Trace Product.

Here’s what I’m giving away:

OF1910
Legent
MWND
Little Book Ch2
1792 FP
McKenna 10

Small quibble, but Buffalo Trace/Sazerac owns 1792/Barton. 

25 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Maybe this is an edgelord take, but for the first time in years none of the bourbon I’m giving away for Christmas this year will be a Buffalo Trace Product.

Here’s what I’m giving away:

OF1910
Legent
MWND
Little Book Ch2
1792 FP
McKenna 10

Growing up, my dad gave his friends bottles of Chivas Regal every Christmas. Simpler times. 

• Like 2

You know you've got a good mom when she calls you form the ABC store and says we need to buy 2 more bottles of something  to get our Black Friday discount... what would you like ?

I'm going for the Evans Williams single barrel from the suggestion up thread, and a bottle of Rare Breed 116, we killed my only bottle last night.

• Like 2

I see people going ape shit over Goose Island Bourbon County beers on FB.
Never had one, am I missing out on something?
No. The standard ones will sit on shelves for months because they're overpriced and over supplied. I assume people are going crazy over the limited variants, but still not worth it. All kinds of great bourbon aged beers these days that aren't owned by those shitheads at Anheuser.
  • Like 1

1910 is wonderful and thankfully plentiful. At least for now.

I hurt myself thanksgiving night. That 1792 Full Proof is deliciously vicious. I also started mixing Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream with more bourbon. It was a rough night. Gonna take her easy tonight, get the briskets on early, and get back on the horse for Clean Old Fashioned Hate tomorrow.

I have a WhistlePig tasting dinner on Tuesday. So much brown liquor.

On 11/28/2019 at 7:42 PM, thestud said:

Speaking of EHT BP

1a3f90aa56a3f1b908951887f10799ac.jpg

My only bottle of EH Taylor Barrel Proof, was a throw away. I called a store near my office, “ yeah I don’t have anything, but I do have a bottle of EH Taylor Barrel Proof”.

I don’t think I’ve ever driven that fast going over there. 

Stupid question, But asking cause I never check luggage. Nor I guess travel with booze but  My brother is  visiting nyc next week, and i’m considering buying him a nice bottle (nice to me anyway) for the holidays. If he waits to open it back in Texas, it should be ok when he checks his luggage, right?

I’d wait until I go back on the 24th but A) I won’t be there long B) don’t even know where to find pretty okay stuff  and C ) I already know a good spot here that sells pretty ok bottles for higher prices than in Austin but still very reasonable by nyc standards.  Nothing fancy, thinking WMND since I know he hasn’t had it before. It’s a lot easier if I get it here but no point if there is a big risk of it leaking/popping/etc. thanks in advance!