Bourbon

Jimbaround

12 minutes ago, Eggo said:

u mad? seems like u mad.

DanQuote-1.jpg

My first sip of GB was the most disappointed I have ever been in a bourbon, DAN.  Shame you had to go and rush a shit product out.  Now your gear might taste like that chick's ass in True Romance but I wont know.

• Like 3

Re

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Is this something I should get? Apparently The Winston is a high end bar in the OKC area.

917dc50951ad20eefd7154cc14bb9873.jpg

Regarding OFSB it is pretty good.  Generally OF ranks thusly

BB

1920 (these two could switch depending if you are a hot head)

SB

Statesman

the rest

19 hours ago, huge said:

Re

Regarding OFSB it is pretty good.  Generally OF ranks thusly

BB

1920 (these two could switch depending if you are a hot head)

SB

Statesman

the rest

I agree with you at the top,  with a major exception. Here's how I rank them, with the disclaimer that I think the lineup is solid at every point:

1) BB

1a) 1910 (I think 1910 is better than some BB releases)

2) Regular OF86 (Not, special, but IMO the most under appreciated mass produced bourbon on the market)

3) 1920 (Special and delicious, but a bit too hot for me personally. I know lots of people who think it's #1 and I understand that opinion)

4) OF100

5) 1897

6) 1870
7) The others. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I agree with you at the top,  with a major exception. Here's how I rank them, with the disclaimer that I think the lineup is solid at every point:

1) BB

2) Regular OF86 (Not, special, but IMO the most under appreciated mass produced bourbon on the market)

3) 1920 (Special and delicious, but a bit too hot for me personally. I know lots of people who think it's #1 and I understand that opinion)

4) OF100

5) 1897

6) 1870
7) The others. 

Where would you slot the rye? 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I would put the rye near the bottom. I know many here suck it off but it’s way too young  for me. I have a bottle and have not touched it since I opened it. 

I think it is fine for what it is.  Competes with Overholt and Rittenhouse for my rye mixer.

It is not in the same atmosphere as BB/1910/1920

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

1) BB

I'm not nearly as a big a fan of OF as many on this board --I got a noticeable medicinal taste at the front when I tried both the 1897 and the 1920 some time ago, and there are just too many other bourbons that I like better.  But I might have to go out and get a bottle of the 1910 after reading this.

I've got the rye and think it's pretty damn good for the price point.  

Edited by Carl Spackler

I'm not nearly as a big a fan of OF as many on this board --I got a noticeable medicinal taste at the front when I tried both the 1897 and the 1920 some time ago, and there are just too many other bourbons that I like better.  But I might have to go out and get a bottle of the 1910 after reading this.

I like the 1920 but agree with you on the 1897. Also, there are many bourbons I prefer at a lower price point to both. Regular Weller and Larceny come to mind. Costco Bunker Hill had Larceny 1.75 for $39 yesterday.

I’m a huge OF honk, but 1910 is nothing like 1897 or 1920. It’s not at all medicinal. It’s more like biting into a Twix.

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

I have probably a year's supply of unopened bourbon sitting in my cabinet and the fiancée (no pics) is getting annoyed, but I feel like I should be buying 1910 for some reason. Is this how the bourbon hysteria started?

Just keep buying, they get over getting annoyed.  

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

I have probably a year's supply of unopened bourbon sitting in my cabinet and the fiancée (no pics) is getting annoyed, but I feel like I should be buying 1910 for some reason. Is this how the bourbon hysteria started?

...maybe? I mean, the good thing about 1910 is that it's not a single barrel. That makes it easier to deliver consistent quality in volume because  there's most raw material available and most single barrel bourbons just aren't as good as best small batch blends (true also for single malt scotch). So the nature of small batch blending inherently acts as a buffer against hysteria no matter how good the resulting product is. But eventually, demand can outpace supply because the supply is finite. 
1910 is available precisely because people aren't hoarding it, which in turn keeps the perception of desirability at a reasonable level. When/if people start hoarding it and it disappears from the shelf, that will change. 

It's like the old manager of my local Twin said a while back:"People don't want to pay for good bourbon. They want to pay for bourbon they can't find."

For the record: I buy 1910 when I see it. Right now I see it a lot. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

One of my regular stores had a spot on the shelf listing MWND for $99 but no bottles. I asked the checkout guy if they get it regularly enough to justify the sign and he said they get it regularly but only a few bottles at a time. They had a ton of other Old West stuff so maybe its part of that relationship. I guess I'll be stopping by everytime i'm in the neighborhood just to see if its there. They also had Cream of Kentucky 12.5, first time I've ever seen it on a shelf, and it was $150. They also had Whistle Pig 15 for $250 and some other stuff for $200+ (but no BTAC).  I'm just not in the market anymore for paying more than $100 for a bottle. I'd happily pay the $99 for MWND though if its ever there.  Might go back for Michners Single Barrel Rye, it was $45.

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Probably my current favorite. Too bad it is so hard to find in CO

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The 1920 can be found at Power's liquormart off of Powers in Colorado Springs. Saw over 6 bottles on the shelf 30 minutes ago.   Coal Train usually has it in stock as well off I-25 and Fillmore.  

The 1920 can be found at Power's liquormart off of Powers in Colorado Springs. Saw over 6 bottles on the shelf 30 minutes ago.   Coal Train usually has it in stock as well off I-25 and Fillmore.  
I can find 1920 everywhere, but I'm not a big fan.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I won’t cuss them because it’s Christmas, but Spec’s putting Heaven Hill 7 on allocation is a very curious decision . 

it should be widely available in Texas, eventually. 

You seem pretty intent on that bottle, so I'll offer you my unopened bottle if you have anything to trade.