Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 3/25/2018 at 3:50 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Been watching a bunch of It's Bourbon Night videos on youtube lately.   They do a bunch of uncorking and blind taste tests and has caused me to pick up a few bottles I may not have tried.  Chick is pretty good looking too.  

Worth checking out  IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqnIaqejmx0&t=1s

digging these videos.  doesn't hurt that the chick reminds me of alison brie

6 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

holy fuck those prices.  ER should be right around $30.

Yep.  But they had some things regularly priced as well.  I got some Buffalo Trace for $24, which is only a buck or two more than I would normally pay.

So what should Weller 12 cost for the next time I find a bottle in the wild?

I paid $35 for Weller 12 last week. I hardly ever see it around here so I didn't care. $99 is Vegas pricing. A friend just returned from the Bourbon Trail and brought me a bottle each of Blantons, ER 10, and Angels Envy. Of those three, Blantons is the only scare one here. We cracked the seal on his Blade and Bow and I.W. Harper 15, both of which were pretty good. I really liked the Harper but I have never seen it in any of the stores around here.

Eagle Rare is ~30 but it’s getting harder to find in Austin. I think it’s getting all bought up by restaurants. I’ve noticed that I’ve seen less Buffalo Trace on the shelves recently too, which sucks. Buffalo Trace is the best Price/Quality whiskey around IMO. He’ll, everything their distillery puts out is a good P/Q ratio outside of the Van Winkle stuff. 

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The death of the shag really had me thinking about this thread.  When it started, I pretty much knew four roses.  Based on recommendations in here, I probably tried 15-20 new bourbons and found 5-6 that I love and always stock.  Pretty cool way to find new stuff to try, so thanks assholes, for draining my account and getting me drunk. 

Most of what I drink is already well covered here, but I'll submit Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition as my favorite bourbon I've ever had.  I've never purchased a bottle, it's expensive, but a place I frequent in Seattle stocks it and I'll usually splurge on one at the end of a long work week there. 

Worth a try if you can find somewhere that carries it.  It is just insanely good. 

ERhine can school you on some FRLE.

Chewbacca, a 750 of Weller 12 is $30 retail.  If you really really want some I would say pay as much as $60.  $99 is dumb.

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Most of what I drink is already well covered here, but I'll submit Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition as my favorite bourbon I've ever had.  I've never purchased a bottle, it's expensive, but a place I frequent in Seattle stocks it and I'll usually splurge on one at the end of a long work week there. 

Please be referring to Canon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

Eagle Rare is ~30 but it’s getting harder to find in Austin. I think it’s getting all bought up by restaurants. I’ve noticed that I’ve seen less Buffalo Trace on the shelves recently too, which sucks. Buffalo Trace is the best Price/Quality whiskey around IMO. He’ll, everything their distillery puts out is a good P/Q ratio outside of the Van Winkle stuff. 

Got a handle of BT in my small aging barrel.  Going to let it sit another week or so.  It did something wonderful to a bottle of Larceny.  

3 hours ago, ERhine said:

Please be referring to Canon. 

Love me some Canon, but not where I was talking about.  It's too far from my office to consistently make it up there.

Is Murray still up there, or did I hear he's moved on?  One of my first trips to that Canon, I ordered a bourbon he approved of, and he spent the next hour bringing me tastes of things and asking if I liked them.  When I left, he gave me a tab for $10, and a napkin with the names of everything I'd liked on it.  Probably the biggest tip I've ever left a bartender.  Guy is greatness. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

12 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Love me some Canon, but not where I was talking about.  It's too far from my office to consistently make it up there.

Is Murray still up there, or did I hear he's moved on?  One of my first trips to that Canon, I ordered a bourbon he approved of, and he spent the next hour bringing me tastes of things and asking if I liked them.  When I left, he gave me a tab for $10, and a napkin with the names of everything I'd liked on it.  Probably the biggest tip I've ever left a bartender.  Guy is greatness. 

I've only been once. Ended up with the best Old Fashioned I've ever had. That place is amazing.

10 hours ago, achooloco said:

It’s still 250 in nyc. Fml

Not sure I've seen W12 in the city for under $150, so consequently I do not own a bottle. Which is weird, because I don't have much of a problem finding Blanton's for $65 and under.

That said, there are a few bars around town that have W12 for $12-$15 a pour, so I drink it a fair bit.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

A co-worker just walked into my office and gave me a bottle of Rebecca Creek Texas Whiskey. I went to their website and they seem to talk more about using it in cocktails than drinking it straight. I don't remember if it was ever discussed earlier. Anybody have an opinion on it?

Its shit.  

24 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I found a bottle of Kentucky Owl rye, haven’t opened it yet. Any reviews from the Surly bunch?

It’s awesome. I rank my favorite five ryes like this. 

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Kentucky Owl

Thomas H. Handy

Midwinter Nights Dram

Michters 10 Rye

I like these over Boss Hog and Sazerac 18. I have a bottle of Bookers Rye, but I haven’t opened it. 

30 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I found a bottle of Kentucky Owl rye, haven’t opened it yet. Any reviews from the Surly bunch?

I thought it was the best rye release of 2017.  Although sourced, Dixon did a good job picking barrels.  I get a lot of tropical fruit with a little funk, light smoke, vanilla and rye bread.  As far as his bourbons, if you can procure a bottle, look for Batch 1 and Batch 6.  The latest Batch 7 sucks like Kevin Morgan.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ebeye said:

@mackavelli Thoughts on the Jefferson Ocean?  I have a friend that was asking about it.  I haven't tried it yet.

Jefferson Ocean is just gimmicky.  I don’t believe the normal palate can pick up any briny notes.  It ain’t like drinking Ardbeg with its umami bomb and tasting of fresh seaweed.  Oh and hard pass on the 16yr presidential select...the most disappointing presidential release To date.  If you get a chance, find a sample of the 18yr PS Stitzel Weller Barrel...that’s some good juice.

Was in new Oreleans over the weekend , went into a bar and they had some George t shag behind the bar, almost empty . Never had it so had to try it, loved it, but was 26 a pour , someone else picked up the tab so fuck it, they thought I had at least 3 drinks for that price.

whats GtS cost for a bottle , non markup bullshit price ?

3 hours ago, Whiskyteer said:

I thought it was the best rye release of 2017.  Although sourced, Dixon did a good job picking barrels.  I get a lot of tropical fruit with a little funk, light smoke, vanilla and rye bread.  As far as his bourbons, if you can procure a bottle, look for Batch 1 and Batch 6.  The latest Batch 7 sucks like Kevin Morgan.

Gagreed. A little pricey at $109 a bottle.

47 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Was in new Oreleans over the weekend , went into a bar and they had some George t shag behind the bar, almost empty . Never had it so had to try it, loved it, but was 26 a pour , someone else picked up the tab so fuck it, they thought I had at least 3 drinks for that price.

whats GtS cost for a bottle , non markup bullshit price ?

I think I paid just under $100 for the 2017.  It is my current favorite in my cabinet right now.

9 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Its shit.  

You're not wrong. Pretty flavorless. I have friends that won't know the difference.

There was a 50ml bottle of the Texas Ranger in the presentation box that wasn't too bad. With Larceny and McKenna 10 being easily available I don't see any reason to go looking for it.

9 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Dude, was it on the shelf or you had to ask for it? Did they have anymore ? Fuck I’ve been looking in the area forever 

Had to ask for it and had to be a key club member.  Not sure how many they had.  Good luck!

Edited by BigDHornfan