Bourbon

Jimbaround

Last night I had to run to the liquor store down the street durung Christmas party #1 for more triple sec and mix, got lucky and the dude grabbed a W12 from the back.......went to Christmas party #2 and bar owner/host gave me a pour of an old bottle of W12 and the last swallow of  his Pappy 15. ‘’Twas a good night.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Last night I had to run to the liquor store down the street durung Christmas party #1 for more triple sec and mix, got lucky and the dude grabbed a W12 from the back.......went to Christmas party #2 and bar owner/host gave me a pour of an old bottle of W12 and the last swallow of  his Pappy 15. ‘’Twas a good night.

If you finished the evening banging your Avatar, please put a link to your story with pictures on the "I'd pee" forum when you get chance. Begging for a friend.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

If you finished the evening banging your Avatar, please put a link to your story with pictures on the "I'd pee" forum when you get chance. Begging for a friend.

She jumped into bed naked after party #2 but I fell asleep. Too much bourbon and beer. Closed the deal at 0600 though

• Like 1

True story.  This past weekend at TW Brodie, Buffalo Trace drop was tipped off by someone in distribution.  Over a hundred folks line-up at opening.  Big surly guy cuts the front of the line.  Words were exchanged and tough guy brandishes some brass knuckles.  Sunset Valley PD arrive in full-force to haul surly guy away.  All the hoopla for a storepick BT and a few Blanton’s.  Go figure.

At least no one got shanked. It’s not like it’s a chicken sandwich or anything..,

Looks like the chick who made the worlds worst old fashioned got a redo. Still not how I make mine, but better than whatever the fuck she was instructed to do last time. She looks completely different though, still bangable.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a30172952/viral-old-fashioned-cocktail-video-jim-beam-redo/

• Like 2

TL/DR: what is similar to Makers Mark/Larceny?

Okay, question for someone who doesn't know much about such topics. I bought a bottle of Makers Mark from Specs for my husband for Christmas. I know he likes that one so I'm good. I think I have seen Larceny(?) in the pantry before. That may be what he buys when the other one isn't on sale. In a roundabout way I managed to ask him what it was he liked about the Makers Mark (because when I go to the store there are a million bottles of liquor and I don't know what I'm looking at and I prefer gin with tonic anyway) and he said something about it being a wheated? wheat? bourbon. I guess that means it is smoother? Anyway, what would you all recommend that is similar? I am planning in advance for his birthday because I didn't get the great big bottle of Makers. If there isn't anything similar, then I may just go back and buy it.

Okay, question for someone who doesn't know much about such topics. I bought a bottle of Makers Mark from Specs for my husband for Christmas. I know he likes that one so I'm good. I think I have seen Larceny(?) in the pantry before. That may be what he buys when the other one isn't on sale. In a roundabout way I managed to ask him what it was he liked about the Makers Mark (because when I go to the store there are a million bottles of liquor and I don't know what I'm looking at and I prefer gin with tonic anyway) and he said something about it being a wheated? wheat? bourbon. I guess that means it is smoother? Anyway, what would you all recommend that is similar? I am planning in advance for his birthday because I didn't get the great big bottle of Makers. If there isn't anything similar, then I may just go back and buy it.

If he likes wheated, if you can find any get him a Weller 12, or Old Weller Antique.
If not, get a Weller Special Reserve.
Larceny is a good easily found wheated as well.

11 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I’ve read good things about Lone Elm Straight Wheat Whiskey. It might be a good gift for someone who likes wheated  bourbon.

Edited by 'stache

Some solid pickups this week while shopping for client gifts including Remus Volstead 14, Weller Full Proof, W12, WB Saffell and a Redemption High Rye 10 yr MGP.  Also grabbed a Kentucky Owl Batch 9 and a THH ‘19 for clients, hoping to also pick up a GTS for another guy next week when it drops. 

5 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

DC has excellent opportunities sitting behind the bar...

Last night:

- 1792 Single Barrel

- Weller Special Reserve

- RHF

- OFBB

I’ve gotta find a bottle of that BB or die trying.

The Birthday Bourbon on my birthday streak will continue next year. I feel pretty fortunate. 

1 minute ago, USCATX said:

Some solid pickups this week while shopping for client gifts including Remus Volstead 14, Weller Full Proof, W12, WB Saffell and a Redemption High Rye 10 yr MGP.  Also grabbed a Kentucky Owl Batch 9 and a THH ‘19 for clients, hoping to also pick up a GTS for another guy next week when it drops. 

Where you located pal? 

Excuse me if this topic has been discussed in detail before, but do any of you surly members maintain an infinity bottle? Thoughts, suggestions, and general comments are appreciated. I have several bottles nearing their end and this might just be a new beginning for them.

Funny you should ask. I’ve been thinking about starting one. Trying to decide whether to separate by type of whiskey or just dump whatever.

I have 2 infinity bottles going right now.
Bourbon and Rye.
Right now the bourbon one is sublime as it’s been mostly Russel’s Reserve picks going in it.
The coolest thing about them is you can really tell a difference in one when you add a bit of an outlier pour in it.
Hardest part is when you get it dialed in is to not dip into it too much to fuck with it.
Treat it like a bottle of something special and take a pour mainly when you can add back into it when you get a low bottle.

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Shelf turd doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement.

That was kind of a joke. Sometimes the assumption is that there’s no good whiskey just sitting in the shelf at Spec’s because there’s so much bad whiskey sitting on the shelf.  I keep a bottle of this and a backup for making great cocktails and people who like to drink with ice.  It’s right there with four roses small batch select and 1910 when it comes to readily available bourbon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

I have some of the Belle Meade cask strength now. The sherry cask finish is good, and the cognac/XO barrel finish is really nice

I wish Belle Meade would focus more on their single barrels instead of finishing, but they’re still sourcing and need to do exotic things to stay in the forefront. 

It’s a special release that changes annually. This year was the first one that was essentially a true bourbon.

Last year (Chapter 2), I think it was a blend of American and Canadian whiskies.

I’d pay close attention to which one you’re seeing. I think they all get good reviews but some can be polarizing because of the experimental approach.  Chapter 2 was sitting on the shelf at a local store until last month so I can’t rule out it’s what you’re seeing.  

• Like 1

I did a market research study tonight,
And it was about premixed cocktails:
High West is about to release 2 barrel aged pre made cocktails.
A Manhattan and an Old Fashioned.
Both aged 3 months in used bourbon barrels.
The Manhattan is made with bourbon and is 74 proof.
The Old Fashioned is made with Rye and is 90 proof.
Both will probably retail for $49.99 for a 750ml bottle.

They actually tasted really good.
Hopefully they will have tastings in liquor stores when they come out.
I would’ve been skeptical if I didn’t taste it first, but I’d buy either one.

39 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I did a market research study tonight,
And it was about premixed cocktails:
High West is about to release 2 barrel aged pre made cocktails.
A Manhattan and an Old Fashioned.
Both aged 3 months in used bourbon barrels.
The Manhattan is made with bourbon and is 74 proof.
The Old Fashioned is made with Rye and is 90 proof.
Both will probably retail for $49.99 for a 750ml bottle.

They actually tasted really good.
Hopefully they will have tastings in liquor stores when they come out.
I would’ve been skeptical if I didn’t taste it first, but I’d buy either one.

I could be wrong, but I thought the High West Manhattan has been out for quite some time. I've walked by that bottle plenty of times. The Old Fashioned sounds new. 

Cocktails are a new territory tech is sniffing around. Keurig has a product called Drinksworks that essentially work likes a K-cup for cocktails. Of course it's not available in Texas because the distribution/liquor store won't get their piece. Plenty of the bars have cocktails on tap, or on the drink gun. It'll always be better by hand, but people will leap at convenience especially when they're making drinks for other people. 

My biggest annoyance with the cocktail scene is ice. Far too many bars don't use cubes/spheres or fat ice. I won't name the bar, but I ordered an smoked old fashioned in Houston and they filled by glass with cheap regular ice from the well. For $20+ a drink, they can and should do better. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis