Bourbon

Jimbaround

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Small sample size, but from what I’ve seen MGP appears be running extremely low/maybe out of 10+ year bourbons. Many of the sourcing brands have turned to Dickel for aged product. It was a nice run while it lasted.

It might be time to stock up on Bulleitt 12 Year Rye. 

They didn't run out, but they started using it for themselves instead of letting others source it.  Remus is one of theirs.  And it's outstanding.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

off topic here, but what is Chip Tate up to these days? has Tate and Company even released anything?

tatedistillery.com

In 2008, Chip built the heart and soul of his first distillery with nothing more than a few dollars and the goodwill of friends. He breathed new life into an old welding building nestled under a bridge where he welded and pounded out his own copper stills. Those original stills, the two of them, sat toward the back of the distillery, against the wall, their squat onion shaped pots atop circular brick bases, their narrowing necks disappeared up into the gloom of the ceiling. And when those stills reached the end of their lives Chip, the craftsman, set out to hammer, weld, and handcraft four more.

Chip's newest venture, Tate & Company Distillery promises to be his most exciting chapter yet. Using the skills, expertise and relationships he has developed to date, Chip aspires to make Tate & Company a haven for the craft movement not only through his own distilling projects but through exciting collaborations with craft and artisan distillers around the world. After hand building the copper pot stills for what promises to be the most versatile craft distillery in the country, Chip is ready to begin construction on his new facility. Chip has acquired 27 acres to house the expanded design of the Tate & Company Distillery Campus. The campus will provide a state-of-the-art production facility engineered to Chip’s exacting standards. The new distillery will benefit from lessons learned retaining the positive characteristics of Chip's early distilleries and designs without the limitations.

In 2020, Chip will begin production of the whiskies and rum for which he is well-known as well as several new styles of exceptional spirits. (But those are too secret to share!)

Just now, BigDHornfan said:

tatedistillery.com

In 2008, Chip built the heart and soul of his first distillery with nothing more than a few dollars and the goodwill of friends. He breathed new life into an old welding building nestled under a bridge where he welded and pounded out his own copper stills. Those original stills, the two of them, sat toward the back of the distillery, against the wall, their squat onion shaped pots atop circular brick bases, their narrowing necks disappeared up into the gloom of the ceiling. And when those stills reached the end of their lives Chip, the craftsman, set out to hammer, weld, and handcraft four more.

Chip's newest venture, Tate & Company Distillery promises to be his most exciting chapter yet. Using the skills, expertise and relationships he has developed to date, Chip aspires to make Tate & Company a haven for the craft movement not only through his own distilling projects but through exciting collaborations with craft and artisan distillers around the world. After hand building the copper pot stills for what promises to be the most versatile craft distillery in the country, Chip is ready to begin construction on his new facility. Chip has acquired 27 acres to house the expanded design of the Tate & Company Distillery Campus. The campus will provide a state-of-the-art production facility engineered to Chip’s exacting standards. The new distillery will benefit from lessons learned retaining the positive characteristics of Chip's early distilleries and designs without the limitations.

In 2020, Chip will begin production of the whiskies and rum for which he is well-known as well as several new styles of exceptional spirits. (But those are too secret to share!)

wow, they got their permit in 2017 and haven't released anything until 2020? dude must have gotten some cash either from the Balcones split or (more likely) was able to raise some elsewhere...2.5-3 years with no revenue is a tough thing

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

wow, they got their permit in 2017 and haven't released anything until 2020? dude must have gotten some cash either from the Balcones split or (more likely) was able to raise some elsewhere...2.5-3 years with no revenue is a tough thing

i'll be a fan.  he knows his craft, and balcones went downhill after he left, imo.   i'm excited to try all his offerings.

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

He got plenty of money when he left Balcones.  He had 27% of the company when he left.

This is an outstanding article.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-hangover/

27 minutes ago, NoName said:

Hes still building his stills at the moment. I wouldnt expect any product from him till 2021

48 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

no, but I hear those are better.  Just haven't had the opportunity to try them.

I had Cowboy.  It was pretty good.  But not nearly good enough to overcome the Garrison taste in my mouth overall.  And $220.

Just catching up here after Christmas break for a few weeks. Going back to the huge specs release of Weller FP, Blanton's and all, I have a few friends that got in line at 5am for it. They were among the first 20 people there, and they said there were about 50 bottles of WFP on the table. The line was 100+ people long by 7am and had grown to about 200+ by 9:30am. so I skipped it, but those that got there early certainly got some good stuff. He took his dad and got 2 sets of the haul below.

We heard about it through Specs Facebook page. If you like them, then you'll see stuff pop up occasionally, but mostly it's crap. Every year I go through liking a few liquor store pages in November in hopes of winning a lottery. Then unlike then in January, since I don't care about them otherwise.

I did make a trip to Blind Pig liquors in early December to get a bottle of their barrel pick of Whitmeyers Bourbon and Rye. It was excellent, and only 45 a bottle. Very reasonable, and they had plenty of cases to go around, which was nice. Don't know if they still have it, but if you like the non-sweet bourbons, it's worth a shot. The rye really comes through. 3bbc07bf8889df37c30ebfbfad572c4f.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Just catching up here after Christmas break for a few weeks. Going back to the huge specs release of Weller FP, Blanton's and all, I have a few friends that got in line at 5am for it. They were among the first 20 people there, and they said there were about 50 bottles of WFP on the table. The line was 100+ people long by 7am and had grown to about 200+ by 9:30am. so I skipped it, but those that got there early certainly got some good stuff. He took his dad and got 2 sets of the haul below.

We heard about it through Specs Facebook page. If you like them, then you'll see stuff pop up occasionally, but mostly it's crap. Every year I go through liking a few liquor store pages in November in hopes of winning a lottery. Then unlike then in January, since I don't care about them otherwise.

I did make a trip to Blind Pig liquors in early December to get a bottle of their barrel pick of Whitmeyers Bourbon and Rye. It was excellent, and only 45 a bottle. Very reasonable, and they had plenty of cases to go around, which was nice. Don't know if they still have it, but if you like the non-sweet bourbons, it's worth a shot. The rye really comes through. 3bbc07bf8889df37c30ebfbfad572c4f.jpg

I guess they were out of the Michter’s Toasted Finish and W12 when it reached my place in line. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

The latest Whiskey Neat podcast is about the Spec’s event. 

21 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Only one of their offerings I didn’t really care for was the Rumble.
The Single Malt, True Blue Cask Strength, and the Wheated Bourbon are all outstanding.
Still bummed I missed out on this year’s Wheated, it was only a single barrel release this year and I wasn’t able to get to the distillery.
Not sure how the staff select single malt made it up here in DFW, but damn sure glad it did.

I love Rumble. Also like Brimstone and Texas Rye (very different flavor profile). I have not liked Baby Blue or Pot Still. Would love to have some Wheated.

21 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

They do now.
Single Malt and Wheated are both a little over 3 years.
Texas Whisky ages different than Kentucky since our summers are hotter and winters are milder. Process is much faster here. I don’t recall seeing any Texas whisky or bourbon over 4 years at any distillery.

Don't they use smaller barrels too? I've seen some at American Solera Brewery that are much smaller than regular size bourbon barrels.

Why can’t a Texas distillery make a bottled in bond product? 

- One season

- One distillery

- Stored in a federally bonded warehouse for four years. 

- Bottled at 100 proof. 

I believe a glass bottle isn’t part of the BiB Act, but it’s standard industry practice. I know because of the Texas heat, the proof would shoot up to Cowboy levels during storage, but couldn’t they proof it down with fresh Texas spring water before bottling? 

These obstacles appear achievable in my opinion. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Why can’t a Texas distillery make a bottled in bond product? 

- One season

- One distillery

- Stored in a federally bonded warehouse for four years. 

- Bottled at 100 proof. 

I believe a glass bottle isn’t part of the BiB Act, but it’s standard industry practice. I know because of the Texas heat, the proof would shoot up to Cowboy levels during storage, but couldn’t they proof it down with fresh Texas spring water before bottling? 

These obstacles appear achievable in my opinion. 

Most distillers don’t makes BIB because of cost. In the olden days before the FDA or the TABC, or any type of regulations, people would add all types of bad shit to whiskey to sell more of it to make more money. You literally could be drinking part turpentine. Therefore having the government guarantee quality through the BIB was a big deal. Nowadays, it’d just an unnecessary added cost of transportation to have your barrels aged in bonded warehouses for 4 years. There is no benefit. No one is cutting their product. The bourbon can be tested for quality and the results can be posted online. 

There are only like 20 BIB produced today 

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Most distillers don’t makes BIB because of cost. In the olden days before the FDA or the TABC, or any type of regulations, people would add all types of bad shit to whiskey to sell more of it to make more money. You literally could be drinking part turpentine. Therefore having the government guarantee quality through the BIB was a big deal. Nowadays, it’d just an unnecessary added cost of transportation to have your barrels aged in bonded warehouses for 4 years. There is no benefit. No one is cutting their product. The bourbon can be tested for quality and the results can be posted online. 

There are only like 20 BIB produced today 

All true, but being the first Texas BiB bourbon would get people's attention. It has some marketing value. 

16 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Got word from a friend that Knob Creek 12 year old has been seen at several Mom and Pop locations in NW Houston. Price is $60-65, very limited supplies.

How rare are the Knob Creek Single Barrel 14 year old store picks? I’m convinced they’re diamond in the rough territory at least in Texas. 

Every Houston pick I’ve seen this year has been a 9 year. 

I’ve espoused my love of Buffalo Trace many times on this thread, but I’d like to take this opportunity to recognize their bottom shelf offerings. Benchmark 8 is the world’s greatest whiskey under $10. 

I served plenty of it at my home during the holidays and everybody loved the cocktails. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m drinking my last bottle of Boone County Eighteen 33 12 Year. Really rough week at work. A few close friends were laid off. 

Thanks to whomever suggested Boone County was running low on 12 Year MGP juice.I bought a bottle the next day and I haven’t seen it for sale again. 

Unfortunately gone forever, they have another MGP wheater out now, not sure if it's down in Texas or not though. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve espoused my love of Buffalo Trace many times on this thread, but I’d like to take this opportunity to recognize their bottom shelf offerings. Benchmark 8 is the world’s greatest whiskey under $10. 

I served plenty of it at my home during the holidays and everybody loved the cocktails. 

Buddy of mine told me about it a couple months ago.  Picked up a handle for like $15 and have been making a lot of my old fashioneds with it.  Great flavor.