Bourbon

Jimbaround

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Well I’m in, it seriously tastes like Buffalo Trace to me. I usually use an ice cube but for this I poured over the cube and then pulled it. This is definitely going to be my go to cheap pour.

c767b69a1e1a7cce52ecf12afc6114dc.jpg

Sort of a McDonald’s vs McDowells thing going with the #8 (vs #7), black label, Jack thing going. But fuck it, I’ll try it. If you think it hits like BT it can’t be bad. 

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Sort of a McDonald’s vs McDowells thing going with the #8 (vs #7), black label, Jack thing going. But fuck it, I’ll try it. If you think it hits like BT it can’t be bad. 

The labeling appears to have been created to mimic Jack but it tastes nothing like it. This is BT product with BT mash bill. Fair warning, my palate isn’t extraordinarily sophisticated, but I think my comparison is fair. 

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

The labeling appears to have been created to mimic Jack but it tastes nothing like it. This is BT product with BT mash bill. Fair warning, my palate isn’t extraordinarily sophisticated, but I think my comparison is fair. 

Oh no worries. My observation was more about the marketing people.

I appreciate the fact that you tasted it and have an opinion, AND you were willing to share it openly. That to me is far more valuable than some magazine writer or blog that may have a financial interest. 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:41 AM, BigDHornfan said:

I haven't tried the KC 12, but every review I've read says it's not worth the $.  Most are saying it's a $30 bottle.  

Only saw two reviews, both liked it. One thinks that Beam is running out of 14 yr old juice, (Sad) and this may become a regular offering and yes, it's hard to compare it to KCSB select, at 120 proof, 9-14 yrs, priced at $47-60.  MSRP for KC12 is $52 I believe. It would sell all day long at $40 range IMHO

Edited by RaylanGivens

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Only saw two reviews, both liked it. One thinks that Beam is running out of 14 yr old juice, (Sad) and this may become a regular offering and yes, it's hard to compare it to KCSB select, at 120 proof, 9-14 yrs, priced at $47-60.  MSRP for KC12 is $52 I believe. It would sell all day long at $40 range IMHO

When I saw all of the Houston store picks were 9 years old, I figured something was up. I assume Beam is taking 12 year KCSiB and proofing it down to 100 proof to increase yield/profit. You can’t blame them, but I’m sure the internet will be pissed. 

Spend a few dollars more and get the best whiskey you can afford. Life's too short to drink swill.

Life’s not too short to have something on hand to give your friends in a cocktail, or for pounding on a football Saturday so that you can save the good stuff for when you’re sober enough to taste it.
  • Like 3

On 1/9/2020 at 9:04 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

What does the label say? it looks like a blend. 

Indeed

15% 2007 bourbon 21% rye

50% 2008 bourbon 21% rye

10% 2007 bourbon 36% rye

25% 2008 bourbon 36% rye

I'd like it better at $60 instead of $88 but it is good.  

On 1/8/2020 at 10:10 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

How rare are the Knob Creek Single Barrel 14 year old store picks? I’m convinced they’re diamond in the rough territory at least in Texas. 

Every Houston pick I’ve seen this year has been a 9 year. 

i believe the two store picks (the bourbon and the rye)  i have from blind pig are both 12 yr.  Could be 9 though, I'll have to  check when i get home.

19 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Life’s not too short to have something on hand to give your friends in a cocktail, or for pounding on a football Saturday so that you can save the good stuff for when you’re sober enough to taste it.

Yep, I wouldn't drink swill. I wanted something cheap but good for regular sipping. I still have plenty of good stuff for certain occasions and for sharing. 

• Like 1

Worth stating that some of the best sipping whiskies do not work well in cocktails like an Old fashioned - and vice versa. Also, a cocktail won't save swill. 

Example: I made an old fashioned with 1910 and it did not go well. A waste of 2oz of good booze. Full disclosure: I still drank it.

Edited by Eggo
  • Like 2

Lol, whoever runs that brewery is a dumb. They go to the trouble to make these awesome glasses like that and never make more to sell. Glasses are cheap, they should be doing releases to get people to the brewery, or package them with their beer to sell more. Instead they make like 200, sell out in a few hours and never use it again.

10 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Old forester 1920 for the game tonight. I could drink 1920 and 1910 exclusively for the rest of my bourbon drinking life and never miss anything else. So fucking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're jinxing the shit out of yourself and all of us. Now the hoarders and hunters are going to clear the shelves and you will be left in despair.

What is the cheapest bourbon you drink neat? ER10 ($30) for me. I can do regular Buffalo Trace ($25) but I’d rather drink something smoother. 

If eagle rare was my everyday neat drinker, I wouldn’t be able to find a bourbon to drink neat.

16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What is the cheapest bourbon you drink neat? ER10 ($30) for me. I can do regular Buffalo Trace ($25) but I’d rather drink something smoother. 

If the only difference between Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare was $5, I would never buy BT again. ER is fantastic neat and in a cocktail, but it's rarely sitting on a shelf in San Antonio. 

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

If the only difference between Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare was $5, I would never buy BT again. ER is fantastic neat and in a cocktail, but it's rarely sitting on a shelf in San Antonio. 

I didn't say it was easy to find. I asked what is the cheapest boubon you would/do drink neat?

Seems like most say BT. 

18 hours ago, deft said:

If eagle rare was my everyday neat drinker, I wouldn’t be able to find a bourbon to drink neat.

You need to go skiing. Both were sitting on shelves everywhere we stopped. Picked up a bottle of Michters 10 in Frisco otherwise I probably would have brought some ER home because I don’t see it often here.

Wife came around on it so just booked a Kentucky trip for Spring Break.    Been looking forward to this for the past few years.

3/19-3/22

Tentative Itinerary:

Thursday:

Land in Louisville and have a nice dinner and relax

Friday:

Maker's Mark-  get to hand dip bottles from my Ambassador program barrel that has had my name on it for 7 years.

Old Forester

Michter's

Saturday:

Wild Turkey

Four Roses

Buffalo Trace

Sunday:

Heaven Hill

Angel's Envy

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Wife came around on it so just booked a Kentucky trip for Spring Break.    Been looking forward to this for the past few years.

3/19-3/22

Tentative Itinerary:

Thursday:

Friday:

Maker's Mark-  get to hand dip bottles from my Ambassador program barrel that has had my name on it for 7 years.

Old Forester

Michter's

Saturday:

Wild Turkey

Four Roses

Buffalo Trace

Sunday:

Heaven Hill

Angel's Envy

Please livestream.

25 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

Got home to find a bottle of Dickel BIB sitting on my desk.  Never had seen it or heard of it,  but my eldest was doing a little bourbon hunting and ran into a bottle.  2005 age statement.  Anybody tried this yet?

Yes. Great reviews - Whisky Advocate’s pick of the year.  I found a couple bottles and don’t know I’d go that far but for what it is and at the price point...

http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/

http://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-reviews/?search=&submit=&brand_id=54&rating=0&price=0&category=0&styles_id=0&issue_id=0

21 minutes ago, brown water said:

Yes. Great reviews - Whisky Advocate’s pick of the year.  I found a couple bottles and don’t know I’d go that far but for what it is and at the price point...

http://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-reviews/?search=&submit=&brand_id=54&rating=0&price=0&category=0&styles_id=0&issue_id=0

It’s terrible. Sorry to disappoint you.

31 minutes ago, brown water said:

still never seen ezra 7 or new riff on the shelf in Austin.  not seen that bakers or woodford before either.

6 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

3/19-3/22

Tentative Itinerary:

Thursday:

Friday:

Old Forester

Michter's

Saturday:

Wild Turkey

Four Roses

Buffalo Trace

Sunday:

Heaven Hill

Angel's Envy

Woodford reserve is worth seeing too if you can squeeze it in on the Saturday. 

• Like 1